pixeltracker

NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16- Page 2

NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#25NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 5:37pm

OMG, qolbinau! Have you heard something the rest of us haven't?! And Jordan, you,too?! Are the originals coming back for the filming?! OMG! *Dies of fangirl excitement over silly little rumours*

nexttotheheights Profile Photo
nexttotheheights
#26NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 5:58pm

Just saw this on tumblr... apparently it's from something called "broadwayspace" (oh god)

16. David Stone (Last Year: #14)

We asked 10 Producers what show they wished they could have produced. They all answered Wicked. Lucky David Stone is the man behind the Wicked curtain which plays all over the world (on four continents!) and continues to bank Broadway grosses of well over a million dollars a week. On the other side of the spectrum, David's petite project, Next to Normal just won a little award known as the Pulitzer! We hear a movie is next for Next To Normal. What's next for Stone? He's teaming up with his Spelling Bee creatives (he was the guy behind that hit as well) for a musical version of the movie Little Miss Sunshine.

For those who thought NEXT TO NORMAL wouldn't have a life outside Broadway, well it's now playing in 4 cities, 9 different countries and has been translated into 6 languages.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#27NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 6:00pm

Its finally official!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#28NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 6:15pm

I would absolutely love a movie version of next to normal. I don't see it happening though.

tking001
#29NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 6:15pm

Any chance Alice and J. Robert Spencer will come back to close the show?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#30NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 6:19pm

No. They're not in the show anymore on broadway. There is a new cast and that cast is not going to be let go so you and the other depressed tweens can cream themselves one last time.

rorschach37
#31NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 6:26pm

^I agree Jordan, I just saw the new cast on Saturday and they are unbelievable. The original cast was great, and this cast is just as good if not better. They need to keep in mind Adam and Louis are still in it and they ARE from the original cast. Also, if they really need to see Alice that bad, she'll be on tour with the show about two weeks from now.

I am upset this show is closing :/ I was hoping this show would have a big, extravagant run like RENT had, but I guess it just isn't possible NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16. This is a show that should be preserved forever.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#32NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 6:37pm

Any chance Alice and J. Robert Spencer will come back to close the show?

I don't care for you.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#33NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 6:46pm

tking, if you are paying any attention to theatre news, you would know that Alice Ripley will be in Denver on that day closing out the Denver run of the show. I doubt they would pull her off of the tour to bring her back to NY.

Just give the world Love.

tking001
#34NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 6:51pm

I hope they film the final show

Jordan Catalano
#35NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 6:58pm

We know.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#36NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 7:02pm

It's hard to tell if he's joking or not because he does pull this sh*t often.

vlegra
#37NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 7:52pm

I spoke to David this summer and he confirmed the closing of the show to me.

He also said he thinks there would be some beautiful moments on film for Next To Normal. He does think making a movie would have saved the show a bit, but he has no intentions of being a film producer any time soon. Wicked takes 80% of his time and it has been hard for him to start anything new. Next to Normal will get a film (not a filmed on stage but a real film) but not anytime soon.

I think of this as a very positive thing. It's time for this show to go and I am so glad that is has had some great success. This was one of the most sold cast recordings of 2009 and tickets sales jumped really high once it opened to great success. Can't wait to see this on tour, if it tours for another year.

As great as it would be to get this on Greatest Performances on PBS i'm sure it won't happen.

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#38NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 7:57pm

Sad news. But, the show has had a great run. Congrats to all involved

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

wendilin622 Profile Photo
wendilin622
#39NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 8:02pm

What a great run and a fantastic show. Hope this has a long life on tour and afterwards. Congrats to everyone on a wonderful piece of theatre.

Jordan Catalano
#40NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 8:06pm

Will Meryl do the movie? Updated On: 11/10/10 at 08:06 PM

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#41NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 8:12pm

I know shows don't last forever, but I'm a bit bummed that it's closing. It had a wonderful run and I'll be going by the box office tomorrow to get my closing ticket (unless my dad picked up on my hint and wants to get me an early Christmas gift).

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#42NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 8:14pm

I would love for this to be filmed for PBS Great Performances...

Jordan Catalano
#43NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 8:19pm

Does anyone know how many people will be at the lottery for the final show?
Updated On: 11/10/10 at 08:19 PM

faith587 Profile Photo
faith587
Sylar2 Profile Photo
Sylar2
#45NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/10/10 at 11:34pm

I need to go see this again before it goes..... it was a show I walked in not knowing a lot about and walked out loving every second of it.

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#46NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/11/10 at 1:19am

Cheap seats for the final performance are gone but I got one for the 3:00 show that day. I saw it right before Alice & Brian left, been meaning to catch it with Marin/Jason, so I guess this will be my chance.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#47NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/11/10 at 2:15am

I just saw it with the current cast this week. Quite glad I got to, considering the news. Though I know all shows close, I'm taking this one a bit to heart. I also know that I will kind of get ripped to shreds for that, since it has somewhat of an odd following. Oh well.

Despite its at-times batshiz crazy fanbase (and almost-always batshiz crazy ex-star), Next to Normal is just such a great piece of theater. Even with the cast change, I still think it's (one of) the best thing(s) playing on Broadway right now. When I saw it earlier this week, I went into it expecting not to feel anything due to both my previous exposure and the cast change. Instead, since I knew what was coming, I was a weeping mess from beginning to end. It is not often that I quote Brantley, but I think he put it best when he said that the show "is much more than a feel-good musical; it is a feel everything musical."(Sidenote: yes, I'm aware that this quote is printed outside of the Booth Theatre. I said he put it best; I never said I was all that original.)

So again, I know that this is the nature of the business that is show. When you add that to the economy not being so great, Next to Normal lasting as long as it did is kind of shocking. Still, I'll be rather sad to see something so original, moving, and about such an important topic, leave the Great White Way.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#48NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/11/10 at 4:01am

I am so tired of:

The desire to always have the OBC to return for closing. I think it's unneeded and rather cruel to the current cast.

The desire to film every freakin' show. It's LIVE theater for god's sake, it isn't meant to be filmed and seldom translates well. What is the matter with just having great memories???? I remember my very first b'way show waaaay back in the late 70s and while I hated it (Grease) I have memories of it.

Racking up "closing show" points. I've only been to one closing and frankly, doubt I will purposefully do it again. On that day, the show seems to be too much about the audience and not enough about the show. (To each his own.)

Bemoaning every closing. Again, it's live theater...it happens. I loved this show, but look forward to whatever may be coming down the pike.

Whew....I'll put away my soapbox now. I feel better.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

rorschach37
#49NEXT TO NORMAL to Close on Broadway January 16
Posted: 11/11/10 at 7:40am

dramamama, I partially agree with you, but I think every show should be filmed. Maybe not released to the public right away, but filmed so that it can be preserved for generations.