pixeltracker

JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box

JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box

Yankeefan007
#1JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 3:00pm

And the best actor race just got interesting.

http://www.telecharge.com/BehindTheCurtain.aspx?prodid=8406

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#2JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 3:03pm

F0CKING-A. Yes!

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

esparza 333
#2JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 3:22pm

Rylance just might land himself double nominations in the same category. I hear he is absolutely brilliant. I am looking forward to this

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#4JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 3:35pm

Well Well you are certainly in for a treat with this one!!! Rylance is fabulous in this play, a must see for any theatre fan!

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#5JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 4:05pm

And Crook is coming with! Amazingness. Would Rylance have even done it without him?

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

ontheboards2
#6JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 4:09pm

This is an all out war on the Best Actor Tony now between Rylance and Pacino with an extension on Merchant.

I have seen Rylance do this and he was absolutely mesmerizing - I am not so crazy about the play itself however. I don't think it's very good or even a very coherent work.

The last I heard there were some legal issues and logistics to getting this on Broadway but apparently all is resolved, so it's a treat for us to watch this great actor do his magic.

Updated On: 12/20/10 at 04:09 PM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#7JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 4:46pm

I'd actually say it's a fabulous play - every bit as good as Rylance's performance in it.

I'm also not so sure there's such a major race for Best Actor. Pacino is very good in Merchant, but the real story over there is Lily Rabe. Given Rylance's acclaimed turn in La Bete and his return in Jerusalem, for which he won every award in sight, I think Rylance will win this spring and for Jerusalem. His win for Jerusalem will honor his work in La Bete as well in voters' minds.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 12/20/10 at 04:46 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#8JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 5:12pm

Watch, he'll get double noms every which way possible, and some big star will sweep it just because they are who they are. (See: Catherine Zeta-Jones at the 2010 Tony Awards)

That would suck.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#9JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 5:14pm

(See: Catherine Zeta-Jones at the 2010 Tony Awards)

- And what about Denzel Washington and Scarlett Johansson?
Updated On: 12/20/10 at 05:14 PM

quizking101
#10JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 5:24pm

Them too...
CZJ was just the first who came to mind, and also the most appalling of the three.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

stone_blue
#11JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 5:26pm

Anybody hearing rumors about John Gallagher Jr being involved?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#12JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 5:26pm

Last time I checked, Denzel Washington and Scarlett Johansson received rave reviews, and CZJ received generally good reviews as well.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

quizking101
#13JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 5:29pm

In my own personal opinion...CZJ was appalling.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#14JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 5:29pm

I literally think CZJ's Tony performance has caused most of this criticism..I don't think she was 'bashed' the way she is now until after that night.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/20/10 at 05:29 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#15JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 5:30pm

Okay, but she didn't just sweep in and "steal" a Tony because you didn't like her.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#16JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 5:31pm

Last time I checked, Denzel Washington and Scarlett Johansson received rave reviews, and CZJ received generally good reviews as well.

That's fair. Though I am sure I could find some less than raves (mixed-to-positive) for Washington and Johansson, if I cared enough. I personally would have went with Schreiber and Hecht over both of them. Now THOSE were performances, in my opinion.

OK. Back to JERUSALEM.
Updated On: 12/20/10 at 05:31 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#17JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 5:36pm

I mean, I totally agree with you. Schreiber and Hecht were better and I would have given them the awards any day. But Johansson received a crazy rave from Ben Brantley, and most of Washington's receives were positive to raves (and his show was still running).

I agree that we should get back to JERUSALEM, and what will be will be at the Tonys.

Updated On: 12/20/10 at 05:36 PM

ontheboards2
#18JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 7:24pm

Fair enough on the play itself - different strokes and all that. Though you have to know that the play itself caused some pretty divisive reactions.

I'm not so sure I see your angle on why this isn't going to be an extremely close race though between Rylance and Pacino?

Rabe is fantastic but it isn't a battle between Rabe and Pacino after all - and the story of that production is both of them (and Dan Sullivan).

In Pacino, you have perhaps the leading Hollywood/stage actor of his generation, a two-time Tony winner, bringing (an American) Shakespeare to the masses in a huge box office success, a widely acclaimed "event" production. He's a genuine legend - and it's possibly a career summation award.

I love Rylance to death, but bestowing the award on him as if he's not going to have any competition from someone as revered and beloved as Pacino isn't realistic as far as I can tell.

What if he takes votes away from himself? He won 2 seasons back - there could easily be an (undeserved) backlash just for that.

It won't surprise me at all if he were to win because I've seen the performance and he was dynamite - but I'm just bristling at this idea that he's peerless.

Edit : Merchant is only extending 3 weeks to February? If that's the case......advantage Rylance.
Updated On: 12/20/10 at 07:24 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#19JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/20/10 at 11:51pm

"Anybody hearing rumors about John Gallagher Jr being involved?"

I haven't. He'd only really be suitable for the role of Lee. A major supporting role, but not a particularly interesting one. I had to look it up in my copy of the script just now. It another disaffected youth role, not too great a jump from American Idiot (though dialed down) or Spring Awakening (though dialed up).

The play is really a star vehicle for Rylance, or any actor for that matter who plays Rooster.

I wasn't a great fan of the play when I saw it. It's three acts and feels it. However, Rylance gave one of the best stage performances I have ever seen, and there are indeed great moments in the work (the final moments are incredible). At the same time, I wonder how American audiences will take it. I feel it's very much a British play, addressing and referencing British cultural issues. There are themes that are universal, such as the rejection of the myths and legends of one's homeland. But I felt as if I was missing something by not being well-versed in the history of Britain or its culture.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#20JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/21/10 at 12:01am

More Mark Rylance on Broadway? All for it.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#21JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/21/10 at 5:10am

I will never forget the lovely American lady sat by us at Jerusalem who very sweetly leaned over during the interval to ask, "what is a bender?".

It's not just that it's a very English play, it's a very West Country play. I hope that the more geographically specific references (do you guys know The Antiques Roadshow?) come across as charming and maybe even a little exotic rather than completely alienating and confusing.

I think it's a brilliant play myself; it's a grower though. I thought it was good but not life-changing when I first saw it, but after a few reads of the playtext and a return visit, I was absolutely mind-blown by it. It doesn't serve everything to you on a platter, it rewards those who take the time to think about it. I pray it makes a triumphant return to the West End at some point in the future, 'cos I could watch Mark Rylance as Rooster forever. <3

Updated On: 12/21/10 at 05:10 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#22JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/21/10 at 5:23am

I think many folks know Antiques Roadshow. Plays here on either PBS or BBC America. (maybe both)

I look forward to seeing this...thanks to all for putting it on the radar!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#23JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/21/10 at 11:18am

A few idioms in the play sailed over my head, but the expressions are so often onomatopoetic, the meaning is conveyed anyway.

Regarding the play's Englishness, I do think it will play here as intriguingly and entertainingly exotic. Most Broadway audiences didn't know what A levels and Oxbridge exams were, but that didn't stop The History Boys from finding success over here. (I do realize that Jerusalem is a good deal more peculiar than The History Boys).

The US has its share of fable and folklore, so I don't think that Johnny Byron's tall tales in the play will prove indecipherable to American audiences. And as Rylance mentioned to Broadway.com, the play should have its own relevance in America:

"It’s about freedom and the clash of individuals and society and how a society becomes more and more fearful of nature. This path we’ve been on, of dominating the natural world for the past 1,000 years or so, comes with an attempt to dominate our own [inner] nature. It’s set in England, but I think the story is very lively in America as well. This is the land of freedom. You can be whoever you want to be, yet there’s still a great clash of harming people who want to be who they are, and those who are terrified of their own nature and try to suppress others."

Certainly, the hypocrisy of America - prizing and celebrating freedom while doing our best to deny the rights of those who differ from the perceived norm - is a subject that remains topical, and one that I think will make Jerusalem play with relevance over here.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 12/21/10 at 11:18 AM

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#24JERUSALEM begins April 2 at the Music Box
Posted: 12/21/10 at 1:11pm

Loved the play when I read it. Love Mark Rylance. So, basically, I'm just happy.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Videos