Audience Behavior

tcamp1 Profile Photo
tcamp1
#100Some suggestions
Posted: 7/16/11 at 9:39pm

The children kicking my chair and rolling on the ground behind me in the orchestra of 'Beauty and the Beast' a few years back was immensely distracting.
What takes the cake is when I saw 'Arcadia' at the end of May. The woman next to me came 5 minutes late, stage whispered some questions to me, and then ate take-out food!! She disappeared after intermission, so I was able to focus on the show more.
However, audience behavior I didn't mind was at 'Love, Loss and What I Wore'. I thought it was cute when women responded in various ways when certain type of clothing or fashion was mentioned. It was apparent the show connected with them, which was nice to see.

"To love another person is to see the face of God." -Les Miserables

bernadettelupone17
#101Some suggestions
Posted: 7/16/11 at 11:18pm

I decided to go to the national tour of Shrek. (not one of my greatest moments) I guess the people sitting behind me were die hard Shrek fans and felt the need to quote the entire show LINE. BY.LINE. This made the already unbearable show that much more awful.
When I went to go see Anything Goes, the teen-aged kids behind me felt the need to sing along to De-Lovely and composed Stomp-like beats during 'Anything Goes'. At intermission I turned around and told them that their behavior was not appropriate for the theatre. I said if they wanted to act like that, they needed to join choir or percussion. They didn't do anything disruptive the rest of the performance.

BwayMan89 Profile Photo
BwayMan89
#102Some suggestions
Posted: 7/17/11 at 10:08pm

It seems as if Phantom gets the rude tourists huh Some suggestions
Well I have another Phantom story. About two years ago I saw the show and behind me were tourists (not sure where they were from). Well, throughout the WHOLE show they were speaking full voice and then I guess they went shopping. Right before "Music of the Night" I hear a THUD THUD THUD. ALL of their bags from Century 21 came crashing down. Then of course the usher came with her flash light and asked if they could pick it up. I guess this offended them and they were like almost yelling.
That had to be the worst audience I have ever been in!

BwayMan89 Profile Photo
BwayMan89
#103Some suggestions
Posted: 7/17/11 at 10:13pm

Sorry Double Post!

Updated On: 7/17/11 at 10:13 PM

LesMiz24601 Profile Photo
LesMiz24601
#104Some suggestions
Posted: 7/17/11 at 11:07pm

So last week at next to normal in DC, two ladies were CONSTANTLY whispering (loudly) directly next to me... I think one was explaining the show to the other, possibly translating in another language.

I didn't say anything when I couldn't hear "I miss the mountains" but during "Light in the Dark" a guy in front of me screamed "SHUT UP!"

While it may have not been the best word choice, the two ladies didn't say a single word for the rest of the show, and I was thankful I could hear the rest of the show!

beach2732 Profile Photo
beach2732
#105Some suggestions
Posted: 7/17/11 at 11:17pm

I would like to add to the visibility of cell phones chat from the previous page. I run crew at a fine arts center. One night while I was stuck up in the booth (I was spot op for this particular show), I noticed that every time there was a slight pause or scene switch, cell phones flickered on like crazy. During one transition I counted 16 phones light up!

littlegreen2 Profile Photo
littlegreen2
#106Some suggestions
Posted: 7/18/11 at 3:12am

I have had several experiences at Next to Normal where the audience very blatantly reacts to the following lines - "I don't, he died before I was born" and "Have you talked of your depression, your delusions, and your son?" I understand that those are plot twisters and I always, ALWAYS expect gasps, but sometimes people will yell or starting discussing it very loudly with their friends. So frustrating, and it happens at almost every performance.

At one performance of the show, I was sitting in the front row and the man directly behind me stood up and walked out of the theatre during Maybe (Next to Normal). He was not a small man, so it required the people next to him to stand up and let him out. You could tell that Marin was very distracted by this, though she never broke character. It was infuriating for everyone around me.

There was another performance, though, where I wanted to be upset over a verbal reaction but I was too moved. I was sitting in the 8th row, maybe, on the aisle and Dan was holding out the clip board for Diana to sign. I hear the man directly across the aisle from me say "Please. Sign it." I turned to look at him, and saw that he was weeping - sobbing into a hankerchief. He was probably around 80, maybe older, and to see the show affecting him like that made up for the comment. He didn't return for the second act but I will never forget the look on his face when he saw Diana being rolled off stage. It makes me wonder what he's seen in his life that evoked such a strong emotional reaction when he saw that. So beautiful.

Sorry, just felt the need to share that, haha.

"I will not cease from mental fight, nor shall my sword sleep in my hand: Till we have built Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land."

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#107Some suggestions
Posted: 7/19/11 at 11:34pm

This time, it was me.

When I saw the Next to Normal tour last month, Pearl's performance and the realization that it was the last time I'd be seeing the original production, On Broadway or on tour, hit me like a train and I was the audible weeper in the 5th row for the majority of the first and second act. I got many glares and even a glance from Emma Hunton.

Not my proudest moment.

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#108Some suggestions
Posted: 7/19/11 at 11:42pm

Any bad behavior I've observed in New York PALES in comparison to the audiences in Arizona. We are just not well rounded culturally and all we know how to do is eat as much food and get as drunk as we can inside the theatre and give standing ovations to absolutely EVERYTHING even when its crap. Seussical with Rigby was a travesty and two seconds after the blackout everyone rose to their feet like it was the first time our city got Les Mis. I get embarrassed when I see shows here. It's all subscriber based and just because a person has the money to plunk down to see all 6 or so shows they think they know theatre. I have heard more trashy people spout out wrong information "Ted Nugent. That's the guy in Jesus Christ Superstar. I love him. I've followed his whole career and he makes me tingle when he sing that "Gates of me" of song in Act II"

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#109Some suggestions
Posted: 7/20/11 at 9:12pm

Is that the production where Ted took out his bow and shot arrows at everyone in the temple? The set was all stuffed animal heads he brought from his own collection? Love that one!

Some suggestions

Same thing around here, actually. We had the really awful tour of THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE come through here about four years ago, and they gave it a standing ovation. My b/f and I looked at each other like, WTF?

http://docandraider.com

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#110Some suggestions
Posted: 7/20/11 at 9:34pm

The same woman talking about "Ted Nugent" also pissed me off when I heard her say "You know, that August: Osage County, or whatever. It was just a play! Just a stupid play. Not even one song. And of course, you know, it WAS a musical on Broadway. They took out the music to cut costs. So I just got up and left. I tell ya. Five minutes and I walked right out."

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

littlegreen2
#111Some suggestions
Posted: 7/20/11 at 10:35pm

"When I saw the Next to Normal tour last month, Pearl's performance and the realization that it was the last time I'd be seeing the original production, On Broadway or on tour, hit me like a train and I was the audible weeper in the 5th row for the majority of the first and second act. I got many glares and even a glance from Emma Hunton."

That is not really out of the ordinary, though, if that makes you feel better, haha. I guess it may be distracting to other audience members who have never seen it, or do not feel an emotional connection to it, but I've heard cast members say that hearing audience members weeping is emotionally moving for them. At closing on Broadway, I was up in the mezzanine because I got my tickets late and couldn't sit next to my friends. I was with complete strangers, but by the end of the second act, we were all holding hands and helping to muffle each other's sobs. Maybe you just have to be around people who understand, and I think that on tour, the audiences (/subscription holders) were less receptive to the emotional audience members. In Providence, a woman asked if I had seen it before, and when I told her how many times, she looked at me disgustedly and said, "You must be a masochist".

"I will not cease from mental fight, nor shall my sword sleep in my hand: Till we have built Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land."

Rage and Love Profile Photo
Rage and Love
#112Some suggestions
Posted: 7/21/11 at 12:52am

Yes I have! When I saw American Idiot in Feb., I was lucky enough to sit next to two VERY drunk women who got up to pee every 10 minutes. The one woman repeatedly tried dancing and when the woman she was with told her to stop because she was obstructing the view of those behind her, she began to cry. Then when I saw The Addams Family, I encountered two annoying ushers(ushers! not audience!) who decided to chat throughout the show next to me while the curtain to my left didn't close completely and it was in my eyes until I moved to a better seat during intermission.

"And that was that or so it seemed. Is this the end or the beginning? All I know is, she was right. I am an idiot. It’s even on my birth certificate in so many words. This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

Shubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
#113Bad audience behavior witnessed in NYC on my recent trip
Posted: 7/21/11 at 1:29am

A few instances to mention:

*At Wicked, a man was taking photos with a really huge-ass professional camera. He was stopped quickly by the ushers, but what makes these people think they can take photos AFTER the announcement that they can't!

*Mary P is hell now with all the kids -- I cannot believe parents are plunking down the $$ for kids under 10 to see this show. The parents in front of me had no clue how to control their three kids during the show -- they let them talk, move around, and hit my lef about as much as they wanted. It was a complete distraction that nearly ruined my experience.

*I was third row center for Catch Me If you Can. When the peanuts from the flight attendants are thrown in the audience, the two young skanks in front of me to the side got some. They didn't want them, so in the middle of the show, they ask the people behind them (sitting next to me) to pass back the peanuts to their companion sitting alone two rows behind. WTF These same skanks were on the phone texting during Act 1 and at intermission, the woman next to them (directly in front of me) gave them a lecture about proper behavior in the theater -- they gave her flack and then I let them have it (in my teacher voice). Between the two of us, we got results and they were quiet and non-phone using the rest of the show.

*Spiderman sucks, but the audience behavior is worse. I have never seen so many people (adults and kids) go in and out of the house -- loudly, too! Running up the freaking aisles like it's a playground. A really old lady across the aisle from me said, "are you kidding me?" She was livid with the disturbance and spoke to the ushers at intermission, but what good is gonna do?

*Also at spiderman, there was a child who was around 1 yr -- WTF. Luckily on the opposite side of the theater so I only heard squawks now and then. BUT -- isn't there an age minimum. Don't kids have to be non-infants! Also, this means the parents paid for their kid to see the damn show -- I'm sure they will really remember it!

*At Sister Act, two dumb hags in the second row center took photos of the finale. The usher had to get security to get them to stop -- and made them erase all of the photos. I mean, come on, you stupid fools!

*Don't mind the sippy cups being brought in, but now people are clicking the lids open and closed and/or clicking the freakin' ice in the cup. Idiots. I told the girl across the aisle to shut up the clicking of the lid (at PHANTOM) or I would take the cup away from her myself.

Other than these instances, behavior was not bad at all besides a few other instances of texting lights (even at book of mormon where the skanks in front of me paid $302 for their seats). I do like how in some theaters I noticed the ushers really watching for photos and phones and flashing people with their flashlights to send the message about its inappropriateness -- and this was usually done at the top of each act so it wasn't too disturbing to the other patrons.

Being a teacher, I don't mind calling out people, especially young people, on their bad behavior (in a respectful way). On this trip, it got results -- hopefully I won't be assaulted in the future.

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#114Bad audience behavior witnessed in NYC on my recent trip
Posted: 7/21/11 at 1:58am

I've never seen a show on Broadway. Basically, the only professional productions I've seen are the touring ones. I haven't experienced any rude behavior, yet. Maybe because theater isn't part of my city's culture, so the audience members really treasure the fact that the show is only in town for a few weeks. Anyway, I've always dreamed of seeing a show on Broadway. But because of all these stories, I'm don't know if I'm gonna that experience (if it ever happens) as much as I built it up in my head.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.

littlegreen2
#115Bad audience behavior witnessed in NYC on my recent trip
Posted: 7/21/11 at 7:07am

pinoyidol2006 - If you ever get the opportunity to see something on Broadway, don't let an audience member ruin it for you. It really is a special experience and you shouldn't have to worry about other audience members taking away from that.

spike3
#116Bad audience behavior witnessed in NYC on my recent trip
Posted: 7/21/11 at 9:23am

a simple solution to the sippy cups. let your complaint be known to the theatre owner, not the house mgr, not the bar mgr, not the ushers-they really dont care, and there is nothing they can do.Go to the top, a simple letter or e-mail. In the case of Phantom at the Majestic that would be the Shubert Organization. The person you would contact would be Peter Entin, he is the Vice President of Theatre Operations. Theatre Refreshment Co of NY operates the bars at all Shubert Theatres, and if Mr Entin received enough complaints about those damn cups believe me he would be in contact with them right away to work out a solution.He is a resonable, yet persuasive man.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#117Bad audience behavior witnessed in NYC on my recent trip
Posted: 7/21/11 at 12:57pm

Some annoying experiences recently..some long-in-the-tooth blonde bimbo and her female friend in the second row of ANYTHING GOES both had their phones out TOGETHER, twice. Luckily, the guy behind them was very stern and grabbed her on the shoulder...

At THE BOOK OF MORMON there was an obnoxious group of people behind me who spoiled what "Hasa Diga Eebowa" meant before they said it on the stage, pissed me off so much, they were talking through dialogue and songs (I don't mind talking through applause much), but it's especially annoying because the sound (rear mezzo) at Book of Mormon is pretty awful I thought, making it even more difficult to understand...they were also using phones - sometimes an indication that they aren't enjoying it, but by their obnoxious laughter apparently not, I almost thought they were enjoying it too much - well, I mean they were laughing at the wrong moments (I know this might sound strange..but clearly some songs while funny are not LOL FUNNIEST THING EVER after the first line, clearly it is building up to a punch line and things. And I guess because of their other behaviour it was almost like they were just laughing at everything and not really paying that much attention? I don't know, it was just strange. Laughing for the sake of laughing, I thought they were.

At MASTER CLASS, this lady kept saying "Uh, Oh" several times, even between pauses, after one particular line offended Callas (I can't remember which line exactly), I mean if you have to make an audible gasp or whatever I can understand once if it is genuinely shocking...but to keep saying it over and over again? That's just obnoxious..control yourself, jesus.

Fuuuuu

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 7/21/11 at 12:57 PM

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#118Bad audience behavior witnessed in NYC on my recent trip
Posted: 7/21/11 at 7:00pm

pinoyidol2006 - don't worry about it, I must have decent luck cause I've seen 40 or so shows on Broadway in the past year alone and the only bad audience behavior I've had was a cell phone going off during a dramatic part in that championship season.

Come to think of it, cell phones going off at some shows are the only problems I've ever really had at all of the shows I've seen and it doesn't even happen every time.

Updated On: 7/21/11 at 07:00 PM

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#119Bad audience behavior witnessed in NYC on my recent trip
Posted: 7/21/11 at 8:27pm

I saw The Color Purple twice on Broadway and each time the crowd made it very hard to hear or enjoy the show.

BeingAlive2
#120Bad audience behavior witnessed in NYC on my recent trip
Posted: 7/21/11 at 9:03pm

went to the N2N tour about a month ago. someone's phone decided to go off during "Maybe" and both Emma and Alice looked in the way of the ringtone. i thought Alice was going to pull a LuPone with the look on her face.

sapphireblueocean Profile Photo
sapphireblueocean
#121Bad audience behavior witnessed in NYC on my recent trip
Posted: 7/25/11 at 11:08am

I went back a little bit to find this, just because I HAVE to comment. I recently returned to Broadway after a few years away two weeks ago and was legitimately shocked at the behavior of the audience. People texted during the show, had full-volume conversations and commented on performances loudly for the whole theater to hear, showed up ten minutes late and complained about not being able to find their seats, and let their kids run loose in the aisles. Mind you, these antics occurred during three different shows in three separate theaters.

Based on this thread, it seems like this sort of behavior is becoming the norm and that appalls me. Whatever happened to the theater being a sacred place?
Updated On: 7/25/11 at 11:08 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#122Bad audience behavior witnessed in NYC on my recent trip
Posted: 7/25/11 at 1:46pm

Sacred? Vaudeville certainly wasn't sacred.

I go into the city at least once a month, where I see 2 or more shows each time. And while, yes, a phone goes off nearly every show, and I nearly always see at tleast one person texting -- I've never had the problems that most of you discuss. Individuals that are rude happens sometimes, but some of you make it sound like you are sitting in a circus atmosphere.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#123Bad audience behavior witnessed in NYC on my recent trip
Posted: 7/25/11 at 1:46pm

Sacred? Vaudeville and burlesque (the forerunners to the b'way musical) certainly weren't sacred.

I go into the city at least once a month, where I see 2 or more shows each time. And while, yes, a phone goes off nearly every show, and I nearly always see at tleast one person texting -- I've never had the problems that most of you discuss. Individuals that are rude happens sometimes, but some of you make it sound like you are sitting in a circus atmosphere.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 7/25/11 at 01:46 PM

sapphireblueocean Profile Photo
sapphireblueocean
#124Bad audience behavior witnessed in NYC on my recent trip
Posted: 7/25/11 at 2:06pm

dramamama, maybe 'sacred' wasn't the best word choice. I just meant that I missed the days when audiences were a little more respectful to performers and those around them. Glad to hear that you haven't suffered too badly during your theatrical experiences. :)