pixeltracker

SPIDER-MAN Delays Opening Night AGAIN - March 15- Page 4

SPIDER-MAN Delays Opening Night AGAIN - March 15

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#75It's going to be a hit.....it already is.
Posted: 1/14/11 at 7:48am

If I have calculated correctly, Spider-Man has had 41 previews and is scheduled for 66 more before opening night, which would make 107 previews (assuming there are no more cancellations). I believe that would indeed be the new record.

Spider-Man will have been in previews for longer than the entire run of the recent Tony-winning revival of Fences.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#76It's going to be a hit.....it already is.
Posted: 1/14/11 at 8:42am

If they cancelled shows to rework they would not have to worry about critics coming in early.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Trish2
#77It's going to be a hit.....it already is.
Posted: 1/14/11 at 9:18am

If it does indeed open on March 15th, it will be 5 days before Priscilla opens. While Priscilla will open with a gush of love and support from fans and critics alike, this can only help put Priscilla in a stronger position. It's the better show by far !

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#78It's going to be a hit.....it already is.
Posted: 1/14/11 at 9:24am

"I like the score, i think it's quite unique and original for Broadway. I like about 8 songs from the show and they fit the comic book world great (it's exactly the kind of music that you hear in the movie versions)."

You think? The Sam Raimi films? Cause what I've heard sounds nothing like Danny Elfman.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#79It's going to be a hit.....it already is.
Posted: 1/14/11 at 9:50am

Oh, Jesus Christ. I don't even care anymore.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

willheim2 Profile Photo
willheim2
#80It's going to be a hit.....it already is.
Posted: 1/14/11 at 9:58am

they should just stay in previews foreverrrrr!

Bardolph
#81So what?
Posted: 1/14/11 at 11:39am

So what? Seriously, so the hell what?

Internuts act as if their livelihoods depend on the opening of this show before a certain date. This era of 24-hour cable news and internet magnifies everything to cartoonish levels. Meanwhile, the #1 draw on Broadway continues in previews, everyone's getting paid, and audiences for the most part are coming out of the show thrilled. It's a freaking musical. It's not healthcare reform.

I feel bad for those who bought future tickets thinking they'd be getting the frozen show, but I think—and most people I've spoken to think—that with a few tweaks and a better ending, this show would be spectacular.

bryan2
#82So what?
Posted: 1/14/11 at 12:04pm

I for 1 want this show to succeed but I have tickets for a show tha t I bought that was supposed to be OPENED ...now I have a preview seat and dont even know if the show I see is the show that is on...very pissed off!!!

Luv2goToShows
#83So what?
Posted: 1/14/11 at 12:34pm

bryan, switch your ticket to a later date, I have a ticket for early february, which I put up on Stubhub until I can make it back to the box office to make the exchange.

Bardolph
#84The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 12:43pm

Ever come out of a musical thinking that the score was weak, only to to hear it again on a 2nd visit, or on the Tonys, and reconsider? This happens to me all the time: "Wow, love that song, but I don't remember hearing it in the theater."

That was my experience. Saw the show, didn't really "hear" the music, but was able to listen to a recording not long after. There are no catchy "Seasons of Love" in this score, where you spend the entire subway ride home trying to figure out just how many minutes there are in a year.

But I tire easily of songs like that. They don't endure. Can't really listen to them outside the context of the show.

But for what it's worth, this music I can't STOP listening to. No More. Rise Above. Walk Away. If the World Should End. These are songs that, over time, are going to have an impact. I feel confident, in fact, that many of those who say they don't like the score, are going to find themselves a year from now thinking: "Wow, love that song, but I don't remember hearing it in the theater."

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#85The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 12:50pm

Bardolph, I've had a very similar experience with this score. It has really grown on me. The dialogue in-between, sadly, has not.

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#86The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 4:08pm

wait...they're doing a musical based on spiderman?
Updated On: 1/14/11 at 04:08 PM

rocker05
#87The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 5:48pm

I can't stop listening to the score either. The songs are really enjoyable on their own and I always find myself skipping over the dialogue.

Orangesaretuesdays
#88The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 5:52pm

Well I'm all for it. As long as they use the time wisely they can fix the show and make it good. I already am a fan of some of the score. (It's grown on me as well) and if they play their cards right they can have a good show!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#89The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 6:16pm

ErikJ972 i did not word that right at all, i meant like the songs you hear from thrse kind of films (comic books one) 'Evanescence' and even U2 from one of the batman films, those very dark but accesible rock indie type songs.

Rise Above, Bouncing off the Walls, If The World Should End, Walk Away, Turn off the Dark and a few others are very good songs in the show.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

whyohwhyoh
#90The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 6:35pm

Well this is the saddest most arrogant thing I have EVER read. This score if you can even call this mishmash of tunes "written" by people who don;t know from theatre is a disgrace. This is THE worst score in my lifetime- and that includes college reviews and Via Galactica!! They are too rich and too famous to give a s*** and the public to appear COOL will go "wow! it's U2- it's great man! It's cool! I'm cool because I know U2~!!!" It's like when bubbe started doing the twist to stay current- not a pleasant sight!!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#91The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 6:44pm

MOST audiences are thrilled? Where do you gather that? I don't know a single person that was THRILLED. (Not all of them hated it, but no one was excited by it.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

yournamehere Profile Photo
yournamehere
#92The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 7:22pm

I agree with Bardolph. You need time with the music I think because it is hard to decipher the lyrics and such when actually seeing the show. Off the top of my head, "No More", "Rise Above", "Picture This", "Walk Away", "If The World Should End, "Boy Falls from the Sky" are all good songs. Furthermore, they all actually further along the plot which some of the other songs do not a la Deeply Furious.

There are several songs which are duds that I skip but "No More" is really catchy.

If the reports are true they aren't cutting songs or changing anything, that is disappointing. If they focused more on MJ and Peter Parker, I think the show would be really good. I guess that would defeat the purpose of trying to tell an original story but the original idea failed.

Bardolph
#93The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 8:43pm

"This is THE worst score in my lifetime- and that includes college reviews and Via Galactica!! They are too rich and too famous to give a s*** and the public to appear COOL will go "wow! it's U2- it's great man! It's cool! I'm cool because I know U2~!!!" It's like when bubbe started doing the twist to stay current- not a pleasant sight!!"

Thank you for this. For weeks I've been trying to come to terms with how, after one listen, so many come away not indifferent or unmoved by the music, which is what you'd expect from a bad score, but instead, ENRAGED by it. Really?

In one post you've explained everything. I always suspected an irrational contempt for the musical, or U2, but I wasn't certain until now.

bwayphreak234
#94The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 8:59pm

I honestly don't get why people hate this score. I really like it and there are a lot of great songs in it.

rocker05
#95The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 9:38pm

I think the only real duds in the score are "D.I.Y. World", "Pull The Trigger", and "Deeply Furious". I feel that all of these can be cut pretty easily. Does anyone else feel that the choreography for "D.I.Y. World" is just plain weird?!

bwayphreak234
#96The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 9:56pm

I actually think deeply furious is a great song, it just doesn't fit in the show.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#97The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 10:03pm

I like "Pull The Trigger," and I think that it serves a pretty important function in setting up Goblin. The problem is that they don't really do anything with the character once he becomes a villain except immediately kill him off.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#98The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 10:24pm

PJ seems dead-on. Who is to say that all this hoopla isn't modern day Merrick? Maybe no one has been injured, maybe no one has quit, maybe it has all been elaborately planned to rile the public and draw in audiences.

Imagine the press and crowds if and when Tierney returns to the show? That would be genius. A modern day triumph in the midst of a musical.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Scott Briefer
#99The score
Posted: 1/14/11 at 10:26pm

In defense of my character... I am not a young school boy. I am a middle aged man who has spent a fair amount of my life in the theater: as an actor, dancer, designer, stage manager and director. (I have even been on the administrative end, both working in a production office and on a few rare occasions backing a show.)

As for returning tickets... Although it is a hassle, tickets purchased under the pretense of being a frozen performance and are now previews can be exchanged.

Again, I never meant to offend anyone by my use of the word, "brain dead". I just meant to imply that the saga of Spider-man has been played out pretty publicly.
Updated On: 1/14/11 at 10:26 PM