pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 61

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1500Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/14/18 at 10:18pm

I had no idea DeJean has left retirement and is back as Roxie. She is amazing. So nice to see her back. 

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1501Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/14/18 at 10:33pm

I have never seen her  in person, but only via this video.  She is probably the best Roxie (I haven't seen).https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPtdfojnTb4

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

kelsey1389 Profile Photo
kelsey1389
#1502Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/15/18 at 9:37pm

Just saw her today as Roxie and she BLEW ME AWAY. amazing performance- vocals, acting, everything was fantastic

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1503Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/15/18 at 9:43pm

I am glad that you enjoyed her performance.  The only thing I have to go by is that video on You Tube.  And to think that she had basically been in retirement!   

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1504Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/15/18 at 9:57pm

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1505Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/15/18 at 11:17pm

kelsey1389 said: "Just saw her today as Roxie and she BLEW ME AWAY. amazing performance- vocals, acting, everything was fantastic"

Sounds about right! Michelle was a standout in the ensemble for years before becoming a regular Roxie on Broadway and on tour. Several years later, she announced her retirement from theater. I am surprised and happy to see she’s back, she is just stunning. 

Updated On: 7/15/18 at 11:17 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1506Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/17/18 at 9:26pm

There is a new Roxie understudy, Rachel Schur, joining the cast of "Chicago".  The other two Roxie understudies are Jessica Ernest and Tonya Wathen.  Nicole Bridgewater and Gabrielle Mc Clinton are no longer in the cast list.  John O' Hurley will step into the shoes of Billy Flynn beginning July 23rd.  http://www.playbill.com/personlistpage/person-list?production=00000150-aea2-d936-a7fd-eef6db350002&type=cp#cc

Updated On: 7/17/18 at 09:26 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1507Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/18/18 at 8:43am

I have seen John O Hurley perform as Billy Flynn.  He has a certain suaveness that is appealing.  I don't remember him from "Seinfeld", but many others do.  He will  play Billy Flynn until October 4, 2018.

Updated On: 7/19/18 at 08:43 AM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1508Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/20/18 at 7:38pm

I just noticed on Telecharge that Cady Huffman has extended until September 9, 2018.  I wish I could be in NYC right now.  It's boiling here in Texas!  Roman in Austin

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1509Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/21/18 at 9:33pm

This is the first time I've seen this video.  Terra C (Velma Kelly) and Dylis Croman (Roxie Hart) are interviewed on Korean (Seoul) television.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYxO2t3s_oY

Dallas Theatre Fan
#1510Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/21/18 at 10:51pm

It looks like the West End revival of the revival is closing on January 5th unless they can find a new theater because Come From Away is set to open at the same theater in late January.  

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#1511Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/21/18 at 11:02pm

I can't imagine the London remounting moving to a new theatre, especially after the wretched reviews it got upon its return, unless another theatre needs filler. But I can see it going back out on tour again. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1512Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/21/18 at 11:13pm

Dallas Fan, I am curious if you have any idea how the West End Chicago is doing business-wise.  If they're doing well enough, then a theatre transfer would make sense.  

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#1513Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/21/18 at 11:27pm

re Tim Bano’s review - he’s obviously deaf and blind w what he said about Ruthie.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#1514Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/22/18 at 12:02am

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Dallas Fan, I am curious if you have any idea how the West End Chicago is doing business-wise. If they're doing well enough, then a theatre transfer would make sense."

Well I don't what Dallas Theatre Fan knows, but what I can tell you as someone who sells theatre tickets for a living is that the business isn't that great at all, especially with Cuba ending his time as Billy. The magic of this show is how cheap it is to run, but at this point nobody in Theatreland cares that it's back, so again, unless another theatre needs filler...

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

EdEval
#1515Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/22/18 at 8:30am

Bob Fossee has his revenge.  Watching a tape of the 1976 Tony Awards I could see the disappointment over Bob's face as Michael Bennet kept winning award after award for Chorus Line.  Well guess whose show has been running for decades now?

Dallas Theatre Fan
#1516Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/22/18 at 12:12pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Dallas Fan, I am curious if you have any idea how the West End Chicago is doing business-wise. If they're doing well enough, then a theatre transfer would make sense."

Pretty much what everthingtaboo said and, you have to remember it first closed only five years earlier and has toured extensively ever since.   It came back when nobody really was dying for it to be back and right from the gate they were stunt casting with Cuba Gooding Jr.  Aside Gooding Jr. Most of the cast was recycled from previous productions so when it opened the cast was already phoning it in.  Ticket sales where never amazing even with Gooding Jr. in the cast and they are really bad now with an actor named Martin Kemp from a band I never heard of as the stunt casting star.

I wouldn't put moving theaters off the books because technically a closing notice hasn't been posted even though Come From Away is starting performances as the Phoenix in late January.  But, if they are going to move theaters the announcement needs to come soon as they are only selling tickets until Jan 5th.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#1517Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/28/18 at 1:27pm

The NY Times has their story on the suicide of Jeff Loeffholz today. Not a lot of new information, except for the fact that Stifelman hasn’t been at the show since his passing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/28/theater/chicago-musical-actor-suicide-broadway.html

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#1518Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/28/18 at 1:30pm

adamgreer said: "The NY Times has their story on the suicide of Jeff Loeffholz today. Not a lot of new information, except for the fact that Stifelman hasn’t been at the show since his passing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/28/theater/chicago-musical-actor-suicide-broadway.html
"

I put this on the other thread.  But it seems ABC news is looking into it.   I would imagine for one of their investigative news shows like 20/20.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1519Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/28/18 at 10:00pm

Just curious how long Equity will let the show continue without a standby/understudy for Mary Sunshine?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Dallas Theatre Fan
#1520Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/3/18 at 2:30pm

Have any of you read Ethan Morddon's book, "All That Jazz: The Life and Times of the Musical Chicago"? I really want to read it but, none of the libraries around me has it so, I might buy it on Amazon, which is not cheap.  What are your thoughts about the book and is it worth the money.?

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1521Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/4/18 at 5:26am

This is interesting.  Naomi C. Walley, one of the two Velma Kelly understudies, is scheduled for a week of performances in that role: Aug. 6- Aug. 12, 2018.  https://www.telecharge.com/Broadway/Chicago/Overview   (The other Velma understudy is Donna Marie Asbury. )

Updated On: 8/4/18 at 05:26 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1522Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/4/18 at 9:30am

Just a filler before a new Velma begins(or AFW returns).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#1523Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/4/18 at 9:33am

Dallas Theatre Fan said: "Have any of you read Ethan Morddon's book, "All That Jazz: The Life and Times of the Musical Chicago"? I really want to read it but, none of the libraries around me has it so, I might buy it on Amazon, which is not cheap. What are your thoughts about the book and is it worth the money.?"

I'm currently reading it! If you like Mordden's work, you will enjoy this book. It's not primarily focused on the musical itself, but the evolution of how we know Chicago today. It goes from a brief history of Chicago, the city, as well as the scene and attitudes in America during the 1920s. To the play Chicago, etc. etc. 

I recommend it. 

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#1524Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/4/18 at 9:43am

There is a new  "understudy" for Mary  in the chorus and Leslie's "vacation" has been extended.

Updated On: 8/10/18 at 09:43 AM