pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 74

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

JSquared2
#1825Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/23/20 at 12:43pm

How about a relaunch of Chicago starring Melania and Stormy Daniels??

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1826Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/23/20 at 1:05pm

You would think that with the shutdown, that the Ambassador Theater could finally get renovated

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1827Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/25/20 at 1:31pm

Here is a revisit to this video of 9 Roxies:  1.  Melanie Griffith  2.  Ruthie Henshall  3.  Sandy Duncan  4.  Bebe Nieuwirth  5.  Lisa Rinna  6.  Charotte D'Amboise  7.  Chita Rivera  8.  Ann Reinking  9.  Karen Ziemba

https://youtu.be/H4q9CxxHnQ0

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

A Director
#1828Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/25/20 at 11:17pm

I wonder if this show  will return when Broadway reopens?  Perhaps not!

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1829Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/26/20 at 12:02am

That is a good idea.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1830Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/27/20 at 1:28pm

Rare footage  of Mamie Duncan Gibbs as Velma Kelly.  (c. 1998)   https://youtu.be/E1cB3HC_uMk

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#1831Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/27/20 at 2:58pm

A Director said: "I wonder if this show will return when Broadway reopens? Perhaps not!"

I would be shocked if it didn't.

Just give the world Love.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1832Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/28/20 at 6:09pm

It's always nice to see a post from a longtime veteran member of this site.  I am hopeful that "Chicago" will return.  As I understand it, the show is one of the most economical to run on Broadway.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1833Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/28/20 at 6:34pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "It's always nice to see a post from a longtime veteran member of this site. I am hopeful that "Chicago" will return. As I understand it, the show is one of the most economical to run on Broadway."

Sadly, CHICAGO relies on tourists to keep it going. Odds are most New Yorkers have seen it already, some multiple times. I wouldn't be surprised if they try and bring in a name when the show re-opens(and by name, not any reality start or former football players).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#1834Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/28/20 at 8:32pm

I very much hope the show comes back. The Weisslers seem hell bent on making it the longest running show, so there's some likelihood of it reopening, not to mention that the Ambassador theater is not exactly what one might call in demand.

A principal cast overhaul would be nice. Or bring back some alumni with star power to reopen (Patti LaBelle as Mama comes to mind)

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#1835Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/29/20 at 10:24am

I love Chicago and I love this revival, but I have to admit the last couple times I saw the show on Broadway, the show has felt TIRED. I think Chicago would really benefit from a casting overhaul and some big stars when Broadway comes back. The production is timeless, but it needs a good cast who can keep the show fresh, sexy, and appealing... three things the show has not been when I have seen it recently. That being said, I will admit that the touring production, which I have seen multiple times, has ALWAYS been in tip top shape.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#1836Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/29/20 at 10:33am

I think it’s safe to assume that tired cast has had a nice long vacation to now be refreshed again. Anyone taking the show for granted now will have a new attitude and appreciation for it that they might have lost doing the show from so many years of performing in it. Putting the show back on will require full on rehearsals so it’ll be a new kick-in-the-a** to revisit things for them. Starting from point zero again. It’s not like they’ll show up, head to their dressing rooms and just resume where they left off a year ago. I’m sure there’ll be many new cast members plus new orchestra musicians so it’ll be like starting a new production of CHICAGO to whip into shape.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1838Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/1/20 at 7:34pm

Hello Brody. Someone mentioned before that now would be a perfect time to give the Ambassador a good scrubbing or something else to improve the theatre.  Speaking of the show, it would be beneficial to add/modify some of the steps/choreography.  For example, I've never been a fan of that part where Velma pushes out her posterior before she does that scissor movement with her legs.  Over the years, I've been aware of some minor adjustments to the choreography.  I would love to see Emma Pittman (who won the "Search For Roxie" contest.  For Mama Morton, I'd would love to see Lynda Carter or Lucy Lawless.  It would be wonderful to see a first time Velma as well.  My dream would be Chris Pine as Billy Flynn.  He can sing.  I just hope it returns.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1839Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/4/20 at 10:40pm

I found this rare video of Angel Reda as "Roxie".  She is marvelous!  https://youtu.be/ASg47aDALzI

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1840Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/6/20 at 10:30pm

from June 7, 2016.  Donna Marie Asbury (Velma Kelly) and Charlotte D'Amboise (Roxie Hart).  https://youtu.be/se454Y9sQkg

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1841Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/14/20 at 10:11pm

This is a 1996 press reel of the show.  I don't think I've seen this before.   https://youtu.be/N92iY7r2QTA

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#1842Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/16/20 at 1:17pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "This is a 1996 press reel of the show. I don't think I've seen this before. https://youtu.be/N92iY7r2QTA"

I always thought the. Lios from when they performed for Climton were the best.   

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1843Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/18/21 at 9:46pm

From 1994, Ann Reinking as Leading Player (Pippin).  https://youtu.be/YwJeEdGEgXo

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#1844Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/22/21 at 9:39pm

Do we know what Ann passed from?

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#1845Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#1846Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#1847Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/23/21 at 7:57pm

JBradshaw said: "Do we know what Ann passed from?"

She died in her sleep in a Seattle hotel while visiting family 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1848Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/24/21 at 11:15am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Theater-Stories-The-Many-Stars-of-CHICAGO-the-CHARLIE-BROWN-Revival-More-About-the-Ambassador-Theatre-20210124

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1849Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/12/21 at 8:54pm

from 2018:  Ann Reinking at Therapy.  https://youtu.be/E4LBG9ACJTU