pixeltracker

3 shows talking about "New Rochelle"

3 shows talking about "New Rochelle"

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#13 shows talking about "New Rochelle"
Posted: 4/12/11 at 2:19pm

Cant think of another small-ish city mentioned (repeatedly) in recent Broadway productions as much as New Rochelle, NY.

That's where a lot of the initial action takes place in "Ragtime" if I'm remembering correctly. Additionally, two shows I saw this weekend: "Catch Me if You Can" takes place there in the first scenes, and Rosemary in "How to Succeed..." mentions it a lot.

Not being from the Northeast, I'm not sure how culturally relevant NR is, but just thought it was odd it popped up so much (and I can't remember hearing of it much anywhere else.) And yes, I know Abagnale's life dictated that particular setting. 3 shows talking about

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#23 shows talking about 'New Rochelle'
Posted: 4/12/11 at 2:42pm

New Rochelle is also mentioned in Guys and Dolls.

New Rochelle was the wealthiest city in New York and one of the wealthiest cities in the country during the 1930s. It remained a rich, aspirational place to live for much of the mid-20th century. It has since been eclipsed by other cities in Westchester County, but it's still a lovely place to live. Especially if you want to be near New York but not live in it.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#33 shows talking about 'New Rochelle'
Posted: 4/12/11 at 3:03pm

Not to mention the Dick Van Dyke Show.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#43 shows talking about 'New Rochelle'
Posted: 4/12/11 at 3:38pm

I'll mention "45 Minutes From Broadway" from the show "Only 45 Minutes From Broadway"

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#53 shows talking about 'New Rochelle'
Posted: 4/13/11 at 7:49pm

New Rochelle is also mentioned in Closer Than Ever, in the song Life Story.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#63 shows talking about 'New Rochelle'
Posted: 4/13/11 at 9:10pm

But it ain't fancy like Levittown....

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#73 shows talking about 'New Rochelle'
Posted: 4/13/11 at 10:32pm

AHHH, New Rochelle, my home town. I lived there for 12 years, and then moved 29 times since over the past 44 years. I haven't been back since.

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#83 shows talking about 'New Rochelle'
Posted: 4/13/11 at 10:59pm

Allentown, Penn. I feel is also mentioned in several shows.

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#93 shows talking about 'New Rochelle'
Posted: 4/13/11 at 11:40pm

White Plains, or maybe New Rochelle...

That was my favorite song in H2$

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#103 shows talking about 'New Rochelle'
Posted: 8/28/23 at 11:50pm

Then there's the Sondheim lyric from the song Uptown/Downtown with the repeated refrain:

Hyphenated Harriet:
The nouveau from New Rochelle

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#113 shows talking about 'New Rochelle'
Posted: 8/29/23 at 6:25am

I would like to go to New Rochelle some day, perchance to stay.

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#123 shows talking about 'New Rochelle'
Posted: 8/29/23 at 7:06am

There’s so many French people living there now that it’ll soon be called Nouvelle Rochelle.

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#133 shows talking about 'New Rochelle'
Posted: 9/2/23 at 8:21am

They're good, fun words to sing.

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....