Wonderland reviews?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#75Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 1:58am

And honestly, I think WONDERLAND is WEST SIDE STORY compared to BABY, IT'S YOU.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#76Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 2:01am

And from a Wildhorn hater such as Jordan... that is the greatest compliment of the night. Actually after reading these I'm pretty sure that is the best compliment of the night.

I got to say, I never expected them to be this bad!
"It's like a Vegas lounge act threw up, but without the humor."

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#77Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 2:04am

I actually think the reviews are pretty tame. I prepared myself for a sh*t storm, but I think I may have over prepared just a little.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#78Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 2:08am

I'm glad the reviewers got this one right.
It is a colossal bore and it is next to impossible to
get Alice in Wonderland right on a "stage."

They have tried before and it always doesn't work.

Girl falls down a hole and gets chased and meets odd people.
It didn't work as a cartoon with Sammy Davis in the 60's;
many movies with the Alice theme have failed; Liz Swados had a failed Alice in the 70's which I believe starred Meryl Streep. It just doesn't musicalize well. There have been plenty of failed Alice in Wonderland Movies that are also not satisfying

Janet DeCal is not likeable in the role. Her character is bitchy and unlikeable and I just wanted to cut that mop of hair off of her head!. And the show is a big mess. Glad the reviewers saw the Diana Ross-school teacher Wiz comparisons.

They will try to make it run I'm sure with commercials and go after the family crowd ---but is just very ordinary and misquided on so many levels. Casting. Plotting. Book. Costumes.
Honestly, the least of the problems is the music.

Wildhorne's Bonnie and Clyde is next.Caught it in Sarasota. That is going to surprise everyone! An intelligent, well thought out and musical evening. I predict Bonnie and Clyde will be Wildhorne's first critical hit.

It's amazing no one pulled the plug on this before sinking all this money into Broadway.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#79Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 2:10am

And the pull quotes are....

"Inspirational, fanciful, groovy" - NY TIMES
"An INVENTIVE & action-packed Broadway fairy tale" - Bloomberg
"An IMAGINATIVE retelling of Alice in Wonderland" - NEW YORK

as already updated on the website.
Updated On: 4/18/11 at 02:10 AM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#80Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 2:23am

Now if only the book was that clever...

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#81Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 4:12am

These pull quotes are sad, especially the New Yorker's.

But if you guys were waiting for Carrie-like reviews, just wait a few more days. Baby it's You! is about to open.

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.
Updated On: 4/18/11 at 04:12 AM

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#82Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 5:42am

Anyone else want to smack that Chase kid from "Word of Mouth" right across the head.

I do! Or I did at first. He is VERY young...I suspect if you asked him about SHOW BOAT or OKLAHOMA! or FLAHOOLEY he would stare at you blankly. Something about a kid so young spouting off as a Broadway musical expert because he has seen a handful of shows does rub the wrong way. But don't worry, soon he'll join BWW and start posting his well considered comments here.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#83Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 7:55am

No way.....im shocked, really shocked, a Wildhorn show opened to bad reviews? i NEVER saw this coming

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#84Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 8:15am

Anyone else want to smack that Chase kid from "Word of Mouth" right across the head.

ME TOO! Beyond irritating. Sounds like he stalks BWW and is spewing stuff he has read other people say about other shows. I like that the lady says that Darren Ricthie makes her moist....or rather that she was "more engaged" when he was on stage.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

Jenna Maroney Profile Photo
Jenna Maroney
#85Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 9:04am

I bet they'll use this pull quote from the Bergen Record [ http://www.northjersey.com/arts_entertainment/theater/120045819_Theater_review___Wonderland__.html ] ...

"Wonderland" is the kind of musical Stephen Sondheim would write – in his worst nightmare.

leefowler
#86Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 9:13am

Chase seems to be the kind of kid who could sing the entire score to Show Boat and Oklahoma, actually.

Having been a pretty fresh kid myself, I say we cut Chase some slack.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

peachesr
#87Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 9:56am

I haven't had a chance to read all the reviews yet but we're talking worse reviews that CMIYC right? Personally when I saw Wonderland I bored out of my mind, flashy trash, if you ask me.

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#88Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 10:05am

"I do! Or I did at first. He is VERY young...I suspect if you asked him about SHOW BOAT or OKLAHOMA! or FLAHOOLEY he would stare at you blankly. Something about a kid so young spouting off as a Broadway musical expert because he has seen a handful of shows does rub the wrong way. But don't worry, soon he'll join BWW and start posting his well considered comments here."

I mean... that's kind of the point. The Word of Mouth reviews are all about taking people from different walks of life and having them review a show to rate how the average audience feels about it. The kids on the show are always fairly naive when it comes to old shows - and the older reviewers are always fairly naive when it comes to new ones.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#89Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 10:26am

Please let it close before Friday, May 6 so that I can get my money back from my two discounted front row mezzanine seats.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#90Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 11:35am

Not sure what their weekly nut is, but although the avg paid admission is low, the attendance figures have been decent, and May 6th is the week the Cast Recording is being released.

I dont think it will close that quickly.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#91Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 11:40am

the attendance figures

They mean nothing.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#92Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 11:45am

I just watched the Word of Mouth video. That boy should never be allowed to open his mouth again.

Testing1232
#93Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 12:21pm

<< the attendance figures

They mean nothing.
>>

Which is why I also mentioned their "weekly nut", and "avg paid admission"- (as WELL as the attendance figues)

Based solely on your reply, should we expect "Wicked" and "Jersey Boys" to close?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#94Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 12:45pm

I pointed out more than a year ago that there was no way anyone could salvage this mess. I wish I hadn't been proved right.

TheatreFan4
#95Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 12:48pm

Based solely on your reply, should we expect "Wicked" and "Jersey Boys" to close?

What are you talking about?

Testing1232
#96Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 12:50pm

<< Based solely on your reply, should we expect "Wicked" and "Jersey Boys" to close?

What are you talking about?>>

Was just hoping that you can expand on your post regarding the attendance figures meaning nothing.

TheatreFan4
#97Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 1:04pm

Comps aren't taken out of attendance anymore and even if they were there are still the numerous discounted seats or rush/lotto/SRO.

It's really not a good reflection of anything unless you have the grosses to back it up.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#98Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 1:42pm

Jordan, that Corine review was hilarious, but not as funny as someone thinking it was real.

Epic.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#99Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 5:06pm

Attendance is key for a lot for Wildhorn shows... just look at his two long-running flops The Scarlet Pimpernel (3 runs, ran for about 2 years) and Jekyll & HYDE - 4 years.

Perhaps dumb producers, but if there's a big attendance they'll keep a show open sometimes.

--

THat being said, these reviews are wild. A lot of them don't even match up opinions for the actors. Some loved Dacal, some hated her. Some loved Ritchie, some hated him. Looks like E. Clayton Cornelius got a lot of good compliments for his role as the Caterpillar.

Karen Mason, however, made out the best of anyone in the production!