pixeltracker

2011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread- Page 2

2011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#252011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 8:52am

I'm very happy about Judith Light!

Most will agree that the biggest snub of all was Daniel Radcliffe, no?

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#262011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread

I'm very happy about Judith Light!

Most will agree that the biggest snub of all was Daniel Radcliffe, no?

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

willep
#272011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread

Count me in as one who is glad to see Arian made the cut and surprised that Radcliffe didn't!

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#282011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread

I don't understand why the theatre community won't embrace Daniel Radcliffe when he's enbraced us. I really thought he would get a nomination more for his snub last year than his performance this year. I think Tony Sheldon has the category in his pocket but Radcliffe should have been nominated.

This is just all wrong to me. Radcliffe is everything we want in a Hollywood star. He joins the theatre community not so much out of "hey, this could be my Tony chance" but rather out of real love for it. The Tony committe has honored less deserving Hollywood stars in the past. People who came in, turned their noses up at us, and got a Tony. But Daniel who shows a real love for the theatre and has done a LOT for BC/EFA gets snubbed two years in a row.

Very disappointed.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

amyfairycakes Profile Photo
amyfairycakes
#292011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 8:55am

"This is just all wrong to me. Radcliffe is everything we want in a Hollywood star. He joins the theatre community not so much out of "hey, this could be my Tony chance" but rather out of real love for it. The Tony committe has honored less deserving Hollywood stars in the past. People who came in, turned their noses up at us, and got a Tony. But Daniel who shows a real love for the theatre and has done a LOT for BC/EFA gets snubbed two years in a row."

Agreed. I think that given the fact that Tony voters embraced How To Succeed all around - giving it eight nominations - it is ridiculous that Radcliffe wasn't at least nominated. I realise that it's a competitive field, but I think Radcliffe is more deserving than Tony Sheldon.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#302011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 8:55am

I'm very happy for Colman Domingo.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#312011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 8:57am

SISTER ACT should NOT have have been snubbed in all of the design categories including orchestrations.

Updated On: 5/3/11 at 08:57 AM

gravity87
#322011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 8:57am

Well, unfortunately the Tony's dont have a Miss. Congeniality award. Radcliffe is a wonderful guy it seems, but frankly his performance was underwhelming at best, and his performance is what was taken into account. Not how much his bow tie sold for each night for the BCEFA collections.
Updated On: 5/3/11 at 08:57 AM

Here_I_Go_Again
#332011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:02am

wow, not that Wonderland was good but NUTTIN!!!! guess that may be the 1st to close I was shocked that Catch did as well as it did?

amyfairycakes Profile Photo
amyfairycakes
#342011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:02am

I'm disappointed that Born Yesterday didn't receive a nomination for Best Revival. Couple that snub with last week's gross and it's likely to close soon, no?

thismyshow
#352011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:06am

wow no love for pee-wee herman was atleast expecting a set design nom....

gravity87
#362011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:06am

Hoping they run BORN... through the Tony's, really pulling for Arianda.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#372011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:10am

I wonder if the Daniel Radcliffe snub was in reaction to that "Take Back the Tonys!" nonsense from last year.

Really surprised about Billy Crudup. If they were going to give that slot to anyone from Arcadia, I'm surprised it's him over Tom Riley.

Go Team Normal Heart!

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

bigbelterbaby
#382011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread

I'm angry they snubbed 80 something acting legend Estelle Parsons for Joanna Lumley. I think Laura Osnes getting snubbed over Tammy Blanchard is really stupid too. I was hoping Kerry Butler would get in over Patti, and my one pick that I wanted that I knew wouldn't was Jessica Walter in Anything Goes. ah well. Glad they went with Hannah Yelland instead of Tony Winner Cherry Jones. Bummed no Priscilla for Best Musical - mainly because Bette Midler is the producer.lol

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

tamra2
#392011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread

it's not a snub if it isn't deserved... (just an observation, not really a feeling towards any production)

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#402011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:11am

Five shows received only a single nomination ...... and in each case, it was for lead/featured actress:

BABY, IT'S YOU
DRIVING MISS DAISY
HOUSE OF BLUE LEAVES
LOMBARDI
THE PEOPLE IN THE PICTURE

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#412011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:13am

I find it ridiculous that How to Succeed wasn't nominated for Daniel but WAS nominated for Tammy Blanchard and Rob Ashford's DIRECTION. I understand choreography, but DIRECTION? No. Also, while John was fine, that he was nominated and Daniel wasn't is just sad.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#422011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:13am

SISTER ACT and VERGE really deserved spots in Best Orchestrations.

Completely agree. Weird that the ersatz period score for CMIYC was chosen over equally the authentic sounding disco score of Sister Act and the Latin flavored Verge were not selected.

As far as Radcliffe goes I never really thought he would make the cut. I love him and he's adorable but there was really only one slot available after the Mormon boys, Butz, and Sheldon.
I'm more surprised that Tveit was snubbed than Daniel.

Overall it was an incredibly competitive season (which is soooo nice for a change!) and I think that the majority of the noms are right on.

Other Observations:

Delighted for the Verge noms, glad it wasn't forgotten.

The closest races IMO are best actor (play) and best revival (musical). Any one of these nominees could win.

And to a lesser extent revival (play). I'm giving the edge to Heart, but Merchant could easily take it.

My predictions:
Mormon will win big (duh) and War Horse will also win big.

....but the world goes 'round

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#432011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:14am

Disappointing.

The only show I really care about right now is The Normal Heart, and Lee Pace definitely should have been nominated for Featured Actor.

And Radcliffe's snub is ridiculous.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#442011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:14am

I find it both shocking and sad that the two young men with the hardest tasks of absolutely carrying their respective musicals were both looked over this year. Radcliffe and Tveit (not to mention Benjamin Walker, who was much more memorable than Joshua Henry) were very much so deserving.

littlegreen2 Profile Photo
littlegreen2
#452011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:15am

I definitely thought Radcliffe would be nominated and I think it's humorous that Beth Leavel was nominated over Sherie Rene Scott, even though it was slim pickings for leading actress.
I'm thrilled for Scottsboro Boys! So deserving.

"I will not cease from mental fight, nor shall my sword sleep in my hand: Till we have built Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land."

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#462011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:16am

I agree americanboy. I thought if someone was going to be left out it would have been one of the Mormon guys for Ben Walker, NOT Josh Henry. But Daniel Radcliffe for Josh Henry is NOT a fair switch.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#472011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:18am

Well, unfortunately the Tony's dont have a Miss. Congeniality award. Radcliffe is a wonderful guy it seems, but frankly his performance was underwhelming at best, and his performance is what was taken into account. Not how much his bow tie sold for each night for the BCEFA collections.

Well, what about his GREAT performance in Equus that was snubbed? I had expected to at least see a nomination as a make up for that. And don't say that the nominations are based only on performance. They're as political as the Oscars.

I think Laura Osnes getting snubbed over Tammy Blanchard is really stupid too.

I honestly didn't really expect to see Laura nominated. But when she started to get other nominations I got hopeful and was disappointed about her omission today. But, I'm not shocked by it either.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#482011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:18am

I would have LOVED for Walker to get a nom (in fact I think he should have won, pipe dream I know).

But very happy for the noms that BBAJ did get. Well deserved.

....but the world goes 'round

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#492011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:21am

Women on the Verge completely deserved a nomination for Orchestrations. Complex, simple, and smart all at once. (Side note: Does anyone know why Simon Hale, Verge's orchestrator, didn't share in Duncan Sheik's Orchestration Tony back in 2007? Because it is Simon Hale who pulled the heavy lifting and elevated that score/orchestration.)

Also, I'll say it: They went overboard with the Scottsboro love.

Latest Posts

Videos