pixeltracker

Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?

Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:14pm

Because it should be.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

bwayfan7000
#2Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:17pm

I freaked out when I saw this thread title until I saw the question mark at the end of it. I hope so!

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:19pm

I highly doubt it would be on PBS with the cursing that's in it. I was thinking today that this really is something that must be filmed for the public to see, but time really is running out so I doubt it will happen. Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?

FindingNamo
#3Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:21pm

And this is one of those "theater is ephemeral" moments. Everybody should go see Kushner's adaptation of The Illusion at Signature.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:27pm

It's a piece that benefits by being exposed to the masses. Filming it to air on TV is indeed a way to do that.

So would the proposed film...if that will ever get off the ground. It's only been over 20 years...! The revival is on stage right NOW and ready for a camera...

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#5Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:54pm

Supposedly, the revival has renewed interest in a film. I'm not sure it'll make the transition from stage to film very well.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano
#6Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/13/11 at 11:59pm

I want a film version with Roseanne & Larry the Cable Guy as Ned.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#7Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/14/11 at 12:50am

Chess had some language (not nearly as much I assume) but I dont see why language would prohibit it from airing on PBS

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

Copperfield2
#8Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/14/11 at 1:34am

At this point with some in Congress threatening to completely defund PBS, I doubt if PBS would touch airing The Normal Heart.

FindingNamo
#9Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/14/11 at 9:10am

"It's a piece that benefits by being exposed to the masses."

I don't follow your logic. The piece is the piece.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#10Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/14/11 at 12:14pm

Unless you round-up a few million dollars to fund a filming of this production, PBS sure isn't going to do it. They don't film nor fund ANY filmings that air as part of their Great Performances series. They only air them. Independent companies film these shows that we have seen on PBS (the recent COMPANY revival; FOSSE; those Sondheim musicals, etc). PBS didn't film those.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#11Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/14/11 at 12:25pm

NEXT TO NORMAL with Marin Mazzie should have been filmed for PBS.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#12Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/14/11 at 12:48pm

I'd second and third an appeal to film this magnificent production, but yes, since there are a few in Congress who aren't too interested in keeping PBS around, I doubt PBS will want to air a play about the beginnings of the AIDS crisis and gay relationships, seeing how open and wonderful some certain elected officials are.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#13Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/14/11 at 4:44pm

My vote would be for HBO to film it. Not a huge long shot as they've aired some limited run Broadway shows recently. The language would definitely not be an issue with them.

BrodyFosse123
#14Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/14/11 at 5:21pm

My vote would be for HBO to film it. Not a huge long shot as they've aired some limited run Broadway shows recently.

Aside from THE PEE WEE HERMAN SHOW on Broadway (and that Will Ferrell George Bush one man show thing)... what other limited run Broadway shows have they aired?

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#15Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/14/11 at 5:22pm

Colin Quinn Long Story Short. They also aired Thurgood, but it was taped in DC (I believe) and not during the Broadway production.
Updated On: 6/14/11 at 05:22 PM

Jordan Catalano
#16Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/14/11 at 5:24pm

They recently also aired WISHFUL DRINKING.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
eman02
#18Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/14/11 at 6:28pm

Re: Marin Mazzie in Next to Normal

That would be to incredible for words. Though her performance deserved a wide release and an Oscar.
Updated On: 6/14/11 at 06:28 PM

BrodyFosse123
#19Is THE NORMAL HEART being filmed for PBS 'Great Performances' series?
Posted: 6/15/11 at 1:19am

They recently also aired WISHFUL DRINKING.

HBO cut almost 45 minutes from the actual show. I wouldn't even consider it a true representation of the full show Carrie Fisher actually did/does on stage.

Videos