pixeltracker

Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?- Page 2

Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?

nomdeplume
#25Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 12:38am

Don't know but here are clips of some songs.
Stratford JCS song clips

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#26Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 12:53am

I want this to transfer so bad. It looks like a great production.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#27Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 12:57am

I would love a new Broadway production of Superstar! Hopefully we'd get a new cast recording this time? Although, personally, I would have preferred a recording of the last revival with Tony Vincent as Judas.

nomdeplume
#28Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 1:03am

I'd like to see one of our Broadway singers take on the role of Mary Magdalene.

Pilate and Herod look great. What voices.

Updated On: 6/23/11 at 01:03 AM

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#29Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 3:17am

Herod smacks of Nathan Lane. If they need to re-cast for Equity reasons in New York, would it kill anyone to call him?

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

AnythingGoes2
#30Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 4:29am

St James Theatre is free after Hair...

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#31Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 9:56am

St James Theatre is free after Hair...

No it's not.

The Harry Connick Jr. "On a Clear Day" has booked that theater.

AnythingGoes2
#32Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 11:16am

Really? Is that 100% happening?!

Richard Rogers, Nederlander and maybe Luntt could be free Winter time...

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#33Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 11:22am

Really? Is that 100% happening?!

Yes. Hence the fact that they have already booked the theatre, and Harry Connick Jr. is attached and confirmed.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 6/23/11 at 11:22 AM

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#34Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 12:22pm

So let's do the math:

1. No theaters available in New York.
2. Impending arena tour with big creative names, big stars, big producers.

This means that two of my three theories could be correct:

1. Turn Stratford up to "11." He's going to base this arena tour in some way on the Stratford production; I'd say he's basing the sets on it, because the other This is It teams are already attached in the major creative roles.
2. Screw Stratford, my baby wins the race! He's getting the rights to prevent Stratford from moving so his arena tour can proceed without competition.

Only thing that doesn't make sense if either of those is true is Tim Rice's attendance (and meeting to "discuss" things at Des McAnuff's pad, which was less reported). He's very much his own man, and while he is known to sign checks for the money, I highly doubt he'd help ALW play the "keep up appearances" game while they try to get the Stratford transfer rights, unless ALW promised him a huge slice of the arena tour's action.

The other possibility is that the arena tour is not going forward, which is possible, but when comparing the two productions... well, there is no comparison. Ortega's production has what I call the "x factor." Stratford by comparison is just another JCS revival. If it's not going forward, I'd love to know why contracts are being signed and salaries agreed upon.

Should Stratford transfer, I have only two requests: Nathan Lane for Herod (since the guy doing it is a hair away from Nathan-as-Zero right now, and the part is essentially a cameo role), and a new Judas with a stronger voice PLEASE!

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz
Updated On: 6/23/11 at 12:22 PM

nomdeplume
#35Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 2:14pm

I do like this Herod, his interpretation of the lines and how he speaks directly to Jesus. I've seen other Herods just do their own thing which can be fun but not as dramatic.

While I like Judas, you know who I think would also make a great Judas in NYC? David Burnham.

Johnnycantdecide Profile Photo
Johnnycantdecide
#36Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 2:16pm

Adam Lambert as Judas...

nomdeplume
#37Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 2:31pm

I like your icon, jcd! It's absurdly cute!

AnythingGoes2
#38Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 6:53pm

Must have missed that announcement about on a clear day...!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#39Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 9:42pm

If it comes to NYC with the Stratford cast, both leads would be strong candidates for Tony nominations.

No, they're strong candidates for best Tony for a performance by any actor ever in a play OR musical! The season hasn't even shaped up and they're already "strong candidates? Drama queen.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#40Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/24/11 at 7:12am

There's at least one Broadway "name" in the cast - Brent Carver as Pilate.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#41Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/24/11 at 7:27am

Those clips are terrible. Everybody's as stiff as a board. I'm really tired of musical theatre folks trying to sing rock. It's so very careful.

And it's the musical equivalent of Julie Andrews singing a Janet Jackson song.

It doesn't work.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Zingingtobway
#42Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/24/11 at 7:29am

What Ever happened to the Louis St Louis Gospel Version Of JCS they did at the Alliance in 2010. That was suppose to either go to Broadway or Tour and then nothing happened. I heard it was rather good.

There is nothing in the world better than Live Theater.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#43Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/24/11 at 9:59am

The Australian revival that AndyBarclay mentions was designed to sell solely on the names of ALW and the Australian stars cast in it. Australia is an increasingly secular society; they certainly weren't going out of interest in the story. In fact, as I recall, they even had to add a program note explaining who Jesus was for the audience's benefit.

The last line of that might be the most offensive thing I have ever read on these boards. Australians know who the **** Jesus is, we are not a bunch of ****ing idiots you dip****.

As for that production of JCS it might have been sold on the names of the cast to start with, but soon took on a life of it's own. It was a thrilling night of theatre.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

chance404
#44Tim Rice
Posted: 6/24/11 at 11:23am

On Wed june 22 Rice saw the show , after was talking to Des in the loading dock of the Avon theatre.
The show was great , Des out did himself this time.
The buzz at intermission and after the show was great . I haven't heard this kind of excitment since the second preview of
Crazy For You on Broadway.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#45Tim Rice
Posted: 6/24/11 at 12:07pm

The last line of that might be the most offensive thing I have ever read on these boards. Australians know who the **** Jesus is, we are not a bunch of ****ing idiots you dip****.

Then explain the need for this program note about who Jesus was.

It was a guy from Australia who is a super-fan of this show that actually explained the reasoning behind it to me.

Said note

Updated On: 6/24/11 at 12:07 PM

nomdeplume
#46Tim Rice
Posted: 6/24/11 at 6:07pm

The Aussie may have meant becoming more "diverse" rather than "secular" since there is now a Moslem presence and more peoples of other religions, Hindus, etc. in Australia. For just that reason it's a very good idea to have the little write-up on Jesus in the program. I'd like to have it if I went to a theatrical production about another religion.

Here's the other BWW clip with Judas singing.

Jimbob2
#47What is it that it has got...?
Posted: 6/24/11 at 7:06pm

The clips don't seem too different from the most recent revival, with nods to the original London production too. It all looks a bit clean and polite - and yet I loved Des McAnuff's staging of Tommy. Whatever people are raving about in Stratford can't be coming across in the clips - including the power in the Judas performance. So to anyone who's seen it and rates it 'what is it that it has got'? My initial excitement evaporated on seeing the clips, but I'd like to change my view!

teh_pretty Profile Photo
teh_pretty
#48re: What is it that it has got...?
Posted: 6/24/11 at 9:18pm

I have to say, absolutely none of the energy, passion or edge translated through the videos. The clips seem very stagnant as opposed to the life that was onstage.

However, I'll agree that rock voices are not at the forefront of this production. This is definitely a musical theatre treatment of the piece -- with some seriously kick ass orchestrations. I'd say the focus is on telling the story and creating some seriously fleshed-out characters and relationships, which is does in barrel-fulls. The voices are all fantastic and quite capable, but not necessarily "rock voices."

nomdeplume
#49Could Stratford JCS Transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/24/11 at 9:32pm

Looks a lot more interesting and organized than the recent Broadway staging. Is this cast a little older?

Video clips can't do live theatre justice. You can't get the tingles of stage presence.
Updated On: 6/24/11 at 09:32 PM