pixeltracker

Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!- Page 5

Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!

Owen22
#100Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 7:35pm

Okay, now that we've been through the racism, the voice etc, let's get back to my already stated WORST reason to cast anyone but Lea Michelle in the role. The public, unless the girl is stellar, is not going to accept anyone else in that role. I'm sorry, they announce a revival after many many years, its FIRST revival, at the very same time a stellar performer, whose star is ascending, who is perfect casting in so many ways, (I'm not talking about the people on these boards, I'm talking about the casual theatre goer) and then they don't cast her. A lot of the people who are casual theatre goers ARE "Glee" fans. They will assume (as they don't read the trades and websites like we do) that it must be starring that girl from "Glee". And it will be disappointing to that crowd when they find out its not her in the role. Not to you. But to the tourists and casual theatre-goers. This is not a great show. But it has some great songs that are only great if they are sung extraordinarily well. Pia Zadora and Debbie Gibson failed. And I'm guessing they might actually be better singers than Lauren (again, just guessing). I love Kritzer and Benanti. I would have felt the same way about their casting, but would have been a little more hopeful that they could surmount the casting expectation as they have extraordinary voices, and are wonderful stage comediennes and that the reviews and the buzz about their "Funny Girl" might bring in the tourists easier than Ambrose. Right now, Ambrose is still (I'm betting even to Sher) and unknown quantity Fanny-wise. But she will have to be uber-fantastic to make the show profitable. The ONLY actress of the moment to give a revival of "Funny Girl" instant national buzz is Lea Michelle (Lauren's casting didn't even make the EW.com headline list).
Updated On: 8/3/11 at 07:35 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#101Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 7:40pm

Okay, now that we've been through the racism, the voice etc, let's get back to my already stated WORST reason to cast anyone but Lea Michelle in the role. The public, unless the girl is stellar, is not going to accept anyone else in that role.

You really think the general public are sitting around their dinner tables tonight going, "I CAN'T BELIEVE BART SHER DIDN'T CAST LEA MICHELE IN HIS LONG AWAITED REVIVAL OF FUNNY GIRL!"? Seriously? More than half of GLEE's audience has probably never even heard of FUNNY GIRL.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#102Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 7:53pm

I'm sure more than the "general population" doesn't give a hoo-ha that Lea Michele is not in this.

Owen22
#103Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 7:53pm

No, I'm talking about the people who plan trips to New York (or even into the city) to casually go see "Funny Girl". All they know of "Funny Girl" was that it starred Barbra Streisand. To them Barbra Streisand = Lea Michelle. Plus they might think (know) she actually has sung some "Funny Girl" songs on the show. Maybe, they don't know for sure, but if they're going to do that Barbra Streisand show they should get that girl from 'Glee'. Lea Michelle would probably at this moment do very well in any new or revival Broadway show. But you have to realize how much she reminds people of Streisand. And yes, I'm sure you Broadway World dot com people are saying (right now as a matter of fact as you read this) THAT'S THE REASON I'M GLAD SHE WASN'T CAST. Fine. Out of the box casting is much more interesting and sometimes can surprise us and work. But there is no show at the moment and no young star at the moment that are as made for each other. And let's face it, and its mean to say, but the public isn't very imaginative. Buzz is big. And Lea as Fanny is easy, instant buzz. Now, as I've stated, if Lauren is EXTRAORDINARILY good, then that will be a different but just as effective type of buzz. But it would have been so much easier and less risky to have waited for Lea. And isn't reviving a midling show like "Funny Girl" hard enough already? I don't want to see its only revival flop. And that's what I'm so afraid is going to happen.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#104Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 7:59pm

To them Barbra Streisand = Lea Michelle.

Are you for real? Do you know this FOR SURE? Did you take a poll? Did you interview these so called people who plan trips to New York to casually see "Funny Girl"?

C'mon, all of this is based on your assumptions and specualtions wrapped up in the fact that you're upset that Lea Michele didn't get the role.

Oh, the general population also thanks you for insulting them as you feel they have no imagination.

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#105Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 8:06pm

Okay, now that we've been through the racism, the voice etc, let's get back to my already stated WORST reason to cast anyone but Lea Michelle in the role. The public, unless the girl is stellar, is not going to accept anyone else in that role.

Screw the Presidential election, I'm looking forward to the Lea Michele/Funny Girl Riots to add drama to my 2012! (I hear the entire state of North Dakota is planning to self-immolate in protest.)

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#106Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 8:08pm

At the movies this weekend, there was a preview for the upcoming movie New Year's Eve, and when Lea Michele was shown in the preview, there was an audible groan from the audience. She got an audition for the role, and she didn't get it. So, according to the director and creative team, Ambrose is a better fit for their vision.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#107Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 8:10pm

Okay, she was good in the "My Man," but she's AMAZING in this "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?":

http://youtu.be/RcVq3VzoNgc

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#108Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 8:11pm

I don't mean this unkindly, and I fully support your admiration for what I assume is your idol, but no one over the age of 25 gives the remotest of sh*ts about Lea Michelle. And nobody under 25 probably knew who Streisand was till LM tried to sing one of her songs.

Not only would she not have brought in an audience, but it probably would have ended her career.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#109Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 8:12pm

Lea Michele reminds people of Streisand.

The public won't accept anyone else other than Michele in the role.

I am from time to time out of touch with public opinion, and am often grateful for that, but I really can't imagine the fate of a Funny Girl revival hinging on the above two claims, Owen. Even assuming their validity which with all due respect, I really can't.

I'm sure a lot of people couldn't accept the idea of anyone else other than Roz Russell in Jerry Herman's Mame. Russell had played the role on stage and in the film in a widely popular performance only 8 years before the musical opened. She was also a bankable Broadway musical comedy star. Going with Lansbury, who is really not much like Russell at all, seemed to work out ok.

And I'm sure the public couldn't accept anyone other than Merman in the movie of Gypsy, and if I'm not mistake it wasn't exactly a flop, at least financially, with Russell. The movie wasn't very good, but it might not have been all that great - although I would hazard to guess much better - with Merman either. But the public didn't stay away in droves.

I am sure a lot of people couldn't accept the idea of anyone other than Julie Andrews as Eliza, and yet the movie of My Fair Lady was a huge hit, and a very good movie, although we certainly might regret the fact that Hepburn didn't do her own singing. I am speaking here of the $ side, the box office, not the quality, because that is what seems to be your concern.

Owen22
#110Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 8:12pm

She did not audition for the role. But go on believing she did as I'm sure you were leading the pack of Boos For Lea.

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#111Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 8:14pm

You seem so very personally invested in this, "Owen."

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#112Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 8:17pm

LM sang "Defying Gravity" on GLEE and everyone said she was going to play Elphaba.

LM sang "Don't Rain on My Parade" at the Tonys and everyone assumed she was the natural choice for Fanny.

Maybe next season she and Cory Monteith will sing "Shall We Dance?" and we'll talk about how they're a done deal for Sher's planned revival of THE KING AND I.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 8/3/11 at 08:17 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#113Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 8:19pm

Not sure you are talking to me Owen, but, yes, I admit I am not at all heartbroken that Michele is not playing the part. Not because I have anything against her generally. I actually like her and think she'll continue to have a very successful career.

But while I originally thought she might be a great Fanny, I saw her on the tonys "auditioning" for it. Besides the fact that doing so was a truly kitschy idea, no matter ow well she did, didn't like her at all.

Sorry. I call's it as I see it.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#114Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 8:34pm

AC, I think a lot of people saw her performance of "Don't Rain" as the nail in the coffin of her Fanny dreams.

I know I sound harsh. I actually think she's a talented young woman. But the over-the-moon rhapsodizing needs a little reality check, IMHO.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#115Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 8:37pm

I think anyone around here with ears thought that, Reg. But it seems that there was a whole other contingent who assumed that she was the heir apparent--even after Bart Sher, Ryan Murphy, and she herself confirmed that she wouldn't be playing the role.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#116Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 8:54pm

PJ - I love her take on Brother Can You Spare A Dime. I think her voice lends itself to her own unique take on the songs. I think she'll knock Cornet Man out of the park. Not sure how she'll handle the more comedic songs like Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat. Frankly, there would be doubts about most modern actresses on songs like that.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

jovie27 Profile Photo
jovie27
#117Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 9:21pm

I can not wait for Lea Michelle to do the Movie re-make, directed by Barbara herself...YAY for Lauren!!!

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#118Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 9:56pm

Nobody outside of these boards gives a flying french fry who plays Fanny. people will come because they want to tap their feet and sing along in their seats to the songs from that old movie. They don't expect a Streisand replica or care. They just want to hum along to something they half know the words to.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#119Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 10:05pm

No, I'm talking about the people who plan trips to New York (or even into the city) to casually go see "Funny Girl". All they know of "Funny Girl" was that it starred Barbra Streisand. To them Barbra Streisand = Lea Michelle. Plus they might think (know) she actually has sung some "Funny Girl" songs on the show. Maybe, they don't know for sure, but if they're going to do that Barbra Streisand show they should get that girl from 'Glee'. Lea Michelle would probably at this moment do very well in any new or revival Broadway show. But you have to realize how much she reminds people of Streisand. And yes, I'm sure you Broadway World dot com people are saying (right now as a matter of fact as you read this) THAT'S THE REASON I'M GLAD SHE WASN'T CAST. Fine. Out of the box casting is much more interesting and sometimes can surprise us and work. But there is no show at the moment and no young star at the moment that are as made for each other. And let's face it, and its mean to say, but the public isn't very imaginative. Buzz is big. And Lea as Fanny is easy, instant buzz. Now, as I've stated, if Lauren is EXTRAORDINARILY good, then that will be a different but just as effective type of buzz. But it would have been so much easier and less risky to have waited for Lea. And isn't reviving a midling show like "Funny Girl" hard enough already? I don't want to see its only revival flop. And that's what I'm so afraid is going to happen.

I love this grouping of words. None of it makes a lick of sense, but I love it just the same.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#120Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 10:21pm

I love YOU, Phyllis.

PJ, her "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?" is wonderful.

Honestly, I hope Ambrose shouts the blues through this whole revival. I want something SO ridiculously different and out-of-the-box that can either be a massive flop or take to the skies. I don't have money in the show, ain't gonna hurt me any. Big choices are the only ones that make big rewards.

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#121Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 10:23pm

You wanna bet this never makes it to Broadway?

How long will it take Lea to make a sex tape after she leaves Glee?

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

nasty_khakis
#122Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 10:30pm

I think she's a star in the sense that most working actors are. Her name by itself may not ring most bells, but she's the type of actor where if you said "the redhead from Can't Hardly Wait/Six Feet Under" a lot of people would go "oh her!"

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#123Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 11:16pm

Thats where she's from. Six feet under.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#124Official! Lauren Ambrose to Star in FUNNY GIRL!
Posted: 8/3/11 at 11:37pm

"Fanny Brice is a tampon".