pixeltracker

Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It

Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#1Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 1:25am

Per Riedel. He's taking singing lessons and being encouraged by Foster. Also, they're eyeing The Palace where Priscilla is holding on for dear life...

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/sing_yes_he_cannavale_dZKYej6wNBDs6nv68UaxLI

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

bwayfan7000
#2Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 1:32am

If this turns out to be true, I'd definitely want to see it. Cannavale is a very talented actor.

Meanwhile, another interesting bit in this article is that Priscilla is having its book tweaked this late in the run. That's sort of...unusual?

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 6:57am

The PALACE? Wow...that sounds like a HUGE mistake.

But Bobby Cannavale? Love him as an actor, but not everyone can sing -- even with lessons.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#3Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 8:36am

I'd like to think that Foster wouldn't push him if he didn't have some potential.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 8:47am

(I had the same thought, as well.)^

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#5Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 8:50am

All I can say is...Tommy Tune and Twiggy???

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#6Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 9:01am

He can't be worse than Matthew Broderick and his squawking. Of course his acting will be miles above the same tired performance that Mannered Blahderick will give yet again.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#7Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 9:06am

Cannavale cannot sing. I've heard him attempt to sing before (this was before his foray at the Tonys), and even if they hired Placido Domingo to be his vocal coach I still don't think there would be much to work with.

And yeah, the Tommy Tune/Twiggy thing made me raise an eyebrow. Tune has been openly gay for decades--it seems like another one of Riedel's inevitable factual errors, unless anyone can shed some light.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#8Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 12:24pm

As I'm sure many of us know, sexuality is fluid for a lot of people, and a lot of people who identify themselves as "gay" will sometimes have sexual encounters and even relationships with members of the opposite gender--and God knows a lot of "straight" people will get with members of their own gender. I just never thought of Tommy Tune as fluid in that regard Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It Guess I was wrong.

Ed_Mottershead
#9Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 12:39pm

I'm surprised that people don't remember the Tommy Tune/Twiggy My One and Only. It was totally delightful and Twiggy got gypped big time that year at Tony time. It was done in the early '80s. No one on this board saw it? I do remember thinking at the time, well, I never saw Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly or Ray Bolger on stage, but I consider myself blessed that I got to see Tommy Tune that night. Wonderful night at the theatre!

BroadwayEd

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#10Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 12:46pm

I don't think anyone has forgotten about this show--although, if I recall correctly, it had the bad fortune to open not long after CATS. What people were questioning was Michael Riedel's claim in his column today that Tommy and Twiggy were lovers during the run. That is certainly the first claim of its kind I've heard.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#11Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 12:50pm

When I picture him singing, I picture the way Tony Curtis "sang" in the musical "Some Like It Hot." During his solo, I got a case of the giggles I just couldn't shake. I felt bad, as I'm sure I was driving the people around me nuts, but I just couldn't stop.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#12Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 1:03pm

Really??? The Twiggy/Tune thing is news to people? Wasn't there some sort of really public fall-out when the relationship ended. I don't remember the specifics (I was a wee child back then), but I do remember hearing about it.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#13Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 1:07pm

I really don't remember ever hearing anything about it. I did a quick Internet search and I couldn't find any reference. Of course, those were the days before BWW and the like. Of course, sexuality is fluid and gay men and women have had serious and very real relationships with members of the opposite sex. This one just sort of surprised me.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#14Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 2:09pm

Michael Bennett and Jenifer Holiday.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#15Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 2:15pm

This whole show sounds even less appealing now than it did before.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#16Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 3:16pm

I understand the criticisms of Matthew Broderick though I tend not to agree with them. I adored him in How to Succeed and got a great big kick out of him in The Producers. Am I the only one in these parts who still wants to see him in musical comedies?

That's an earnest question, not an indictment of people who don't.

Much as I love Cannavale, I'm not especially excited to see him try musical theater. My fear is that it could go the Oliver Platt route.

Ed_Mottershead
#17Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 3:29pm

My sense is that, should Cannavale not have the vocal chops for the show, he'll figure it out for himself and withdraw before the show goes into rehearsal. He is not a stupid man and I don't think ego would get in the way of his making an objective decision. He proved beyond all doubt this year that he's a brilliant actor and I think, in the long run, would be very careful about his next show. Long shot wishful thinking: Kilroy in Camino Real.

BroadwayEd

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#18Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 11:05pm

I am very excited to see Matthew back in a musical comedy. I think that he has given some really good stage performances and a couple of mediocre ones as well but I don't agree with many on this board that he is one note or untalented. I happen to think he has a good voice with great comedic timing. Cannavale is a terrific actor who may not be the best singer but I'm sure will give a good performance. I saw him and Broderick in an indie movie a few years ago and they had some good scenes together so that is a plus for the show. The rest remains to be seen.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#19Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/19/11 at 11:24pm

I went to the opening of "My One and Only." I loved the performances, but the sets were weird. They were big geometric shapes - I suppose it was a play on Russian expressionism - and monochromatic (I remember a huge spinning square and a trough for Tune and Twiggy to dance in) and Honey Coles sitting most of the show in a barber chair until he got up and outtapped Tune.

I also remember overhearing two businessmen in the lobby at intermission during a subsequent performance. One asked the other what he thought of the show and his friend replied "That Twiggy is hot, but I could swear I've heard some of that music before. I think they ripped it off."

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

whitesnow
#20Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/22/11 at 7:33pm

Bobby is so sexy! I cant wait to see him in LA!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#21Bobby Cannavale/Nice Work if You Can Get It
Posted: 8/22/11 at 7:40pm

I saw him last night on Amsterdam Ave, with his arm in a sling, what's up with that?

Videos