pixeltracker

Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival

Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#1Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/6/11 at 1:39pm

Recorded after the show closed. So this doesn't appear to be the promo tracks that have been floating around. Itunes first and then press by demand to follow...

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/154256-Songs-From-2009-Ragtime-Heard-On-CD-This-Fall-Road-to-Qatar-Cast-Album-Gets-Release-Date

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"
Updated On: 9/6/11 at 01:39 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#2Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/6/11 at 1:41pm

With the pressing on demand, this should make an interesting little collector's item.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/6/11 at 1:47pm

I love the idea of on-demand CDs, just like DVDs. Warner Archives has a successful business model in place now, and they're making money releasing niche movies.

I think it's a great concept, and I'm glad to see it happening with Ragtime.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/6/11 at 1:50pm

Would an on-demanding CD cost more than mass production?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#4Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/6/11 at 1:56pm

I'll drink to that.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#5Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/6/11 at 1:57pm

Usually, yes, Kad.

Of course you can't have an on-demand CD release unless you have a recording (or a recording session) first. That's where the big expenses lie, no doubt.

bk has a different business model that's also good, in that it's all limited releases. He knows exactly how many he's going to print, and all the costs and profits are figured in up front.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 9/6/11 at 01:57 PM

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#6Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/6/11 at 2:13pm

I agree. This on-demand model is pretty awesome for releasing niche items. I finally have The Boy Friend on DVD because of it!

With Irma you gotta do something!

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#7Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/6/11 at 2:34pm

Looks like it's 2 more tracks than were on the little sampler that some of us got access too. (the sampler has everything listed here except Buffalo Nickel and Make Them Hear You)

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#8Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/6/11 at 3:41pm

Does pressing on demand mean a super cheap presentation, like no cover art, booklets, etc. Is it just a CD-R in a case. If so, I'll pass. That would be ghetto.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#9Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/6/11 at 5:31pm

For what it's worth, this is from the record company's website: "We are still totally comitted to bringing you amazing physical packages of CD's with extensive printed material." It's even in bold, so they really mean it.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

binau Profile Photo
binau
#10Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/6/11 at 6:03pm

I hope this new 'model' can lead to the release of ANYONE CAN WHISTLE et al.

I am a little skeptical if these tracks were recorded in a different session to the Sampler CD though. The description of the first track (Stephen Flaherty at the piano etc.) sounds suspiciously similar to the sampler CD.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 9/6/11 at 06:03 PM

provocation Profile Photo
provocation
#11Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/6/11 at 6:13pm

Ugh. All I want is a recording of Stephanie Umoh's "Your Daddy's Son" that isn't a bootleg.

I know, right?

bwayfan7000
#12Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/6/11 at 9:07pm

The cut of the title song from the sampler that I have is a much shorted version, beginning I believe with some instrumental and then going into the end of the song. I do hope they release a fuller version on this recording. But great news! Love Ragtime and it's amazing revival cast.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

binau Profile Photo
binau
#13Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/8/11 at 4:18pm

It's now on iTunes. From the clips/track lengths it really does just seem that this is the sampler released commercially with two extra tracks. But that's still cool.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#14Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/8/11 at 4:29pm

"I hope this new 'model' can lead to the release of ANYONE CAN WHISTLE et al."

qolbinau, Did they record the Ecores! Anyone Can Whistle???

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#15Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/8/11 at 4:43pm

Did they record ANY recent Encores! productions? (I'd love to have some of them!)

Also, not to sound completely clueless, but how does this on-demand pressing work? I've never actually heard the term.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#16Jay Records to Release Songs from Ragtime Revival
Posted: 9/8/11 at 9:23pm

No, Jay did a studio recording of Whistle in 2001 or something.