pixeltracker

Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.

Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#1Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/25/11 at 2:19am

I give you todays matinee of FOLLIES.

I know they do not have to sign or chat, I just thought it was funny that no one acknowledged us.

It was also a matinee so I understand.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

thismyshow
#2Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/25/11 at 6:38am

House of Blue Leaves absolutely no one came out , twice.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#2Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/25/11 at 7:19am

When you say that you were ignored, do you mean that people came out and didn't acknowledge you, or that people didn't come out at all? I saw Follies at the matinee of a 2-show day, and none of the 4 leads or Elaine Paige came out. Those who did come out were not expecting to be asked for signatures so did not necessarily stop on their own, but they were all very nice and gracious when I asked them.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

ArtMan
#3Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/25/11 at 8:24am

thisismyshow, there is another entrance and exit to that theatre that they used. Its on the other street near to where Chicago is playing. When I staged doored it it was all set up to appear that they would be exiting from the main stage entrance. When I saw the driver move his car, I went around the block. Within seconds, Ben Stiller came out. He took pictures and signed. Of course there was only two of us there. Jennifer Jason Leigh did not sign or take pictures, but was still very pleasnt. Allison Pill appeared to be listenening to her music and did not want to be bothered. Either we just missed Edie Falco or she stayed in longer than we wanted to wait. This info is obviously useless now but maybe for a future show.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#4Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/25/11 at 8:44am

I stood by and watched my friend stagedoor Follies a few weeks ago, and I think a lot of the non-stars are genuinely surprised and appreciative when someone gives them some attention. The problem is I think they're used to not getting recognized they just keep walking.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Mattbrain
#5Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/25/11 at 8:45am

So many people just walked right by me when I saw Billy Elliot. The ones who did stick around were Jacob Clemente, Lilla Crawford and Greg Jbara.

And then there was Sister Act where a ton of people came out and I got pictures with a bunch of them. and then the next thing I knew, we were waiting for Patina. And waiting. And waiting. And waiting. And waiting. And did I mention we were waiting? So I left.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#6Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/25/11 at 11:32am

To expand on what taboo said, it can be a little awkward for those who are in a show with a big star. You're more than happy to sign a poster or take a photo, but you don't want to be presumptuous.

I did a tour a few years back that had a former Idol in it. Of course 90% of the folks at the stage door could care less who I was, but there were still plenty that wanted me to sign a program. I'd generally walk out and simply wave or say "Hey guys, thanks for coming" and then I might be asked to sign a few things before I could just walk away.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#7Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/25/11 at 1:02pm

Oh, I saw Jayne Houdyshell smoking after the show and looks like she has joined Rosalind Elias's turban circle.

Elias was also sporting her lovely white turban.

That is good to hear that Jacob signed things. I worked with him about 4 years ago in a Regional youth production of The Music Man, he was Winthrop.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

FrauleinKost    Profile Photo
FrauleinKost
#8Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/26/11 at 8:46am

LMAO at the Turban Circle.

"I chose and my world was shaken--so what? The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not. You have to move on"

DefyGravity777
#9Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/27/11 at 4:43pm

Ensemble members usually don't stop unless they are called over. Most have told me that they love to get recognized too and will gladly stop to sign.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#10Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/27/11 at 6:20pm

The night I saw Follies a couple weeks ago Danny, Ron, and Jayne did not come out the stage door. (And I think I missed Don Correia, I've heard he is always the first one out). Bernadette and Elaine came out and signed but would not do photos. Bernie tried to get everyone but Elaine pretty much signed her way to her car--understandable, it had been a 2-show Saturday and they had just had the official opening night the Monday before.

Some actors seem to try to be sneaky about leaving thru the stage door by 'ignoring' the people there. Rosalind Elias (sportin' a nice do-rag) and David Sabin (no do-rag) did that but were very pleasant when I asked for signatures. Susan Watson, on the other hand, would have talked to me all night!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#11Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/27/11 at 10:18pm

The ensemble usually doesn't stop simply because most people don't remember the ensemble. I usually will try and say "good job" at least, but people are usually waiting for the leads to come out.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

#12Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/27/11 at 10:25pm

I'm almost convinced Mary Faber never comes out of the stage door for How to Succeed. Seen the show twice and same with American Idiot. She never came out.

Christopher J Hanke came out wearing a hat and ignored everyone.

I just saw The Submission Saturday. Everyone came out right away except Jonathan Groff. He took about a half hour or so.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#13Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/27/11 at 11:50pm

I do not know if that is entirely true because I saw Anything Goes that night and they all signed.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#14Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/27/11 at 11:53pm

Rosalind Elias threw her turban at me when she came out of the service elevator of the Marquis when I asked for an autograph and then spit in my souvenir cup.

I kid. Trying for a Jordan Catalano-vibe, out of love for his comedic stylings.

bwayfan7000
#15Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/27/11 at 11:54pm

I stagedoored Follies with the full expectation that most of the cast wouldn't sign because it was after a matinee. We were told by the guard that Bernadette, Ron, Danny and Elaine wouldn't be coming out, but Ron did for some reason. Anyway, I was surprised that the young counterparts of the four leads didn't think they were important enough to stop. They had to be called over, and then they gladly signed, but they have big roles and people knew who they were!

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#16Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/27/11 at 11:55pm

Rosalind Elias did the same thing to me but I asked her to spit in my cup. It's my "thing" at stage doors now, instead of asking people for autographs.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#17Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/28/11 at 12:13am

Jordan I think that is an important thing to do.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#18Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/28/11 at 12:15am

Well besides the fact I'm into spit, by collecting celeb spit, when the zombie apocalypse comes and we need to repopulate, we can reproduce all the talent.

It's called planning ahead.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#19Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/28/11 at 12:23am

And being resourceful.

On a side note, my friend who I was with asked what kind of things they were selling and she saw the cups. Thought they were cool but she did not give in. I chuckled to myself.

DefyGravity777
#20Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/28/11 at 4:09pm

According to a few friends of mine none of the Wicked cast came out last night. I find that odd since most people do come out and it was Jackie and Chandra's first show. On Sunday Richard H. Blake even came out and he very rarely does.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#21Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/28/11 at 5:25pm

I'm surprised none of the BWW royalty have lectured anyone about how it's not required for them to come out and sign and take pictures. There's usually always one of them. lol It's of course true and understandable when they don't. It's just really cool when they do. :)

I've stage doored a lot, but it's never been just to get autographs and pictures - I really like to meet some of the people and tell them I appreciate their work. Because, I'm sappy like that.

I will say though, Nathan Lane is my idol, I love the man to death and he's the reason I decided to become an actor at 10. I saw him in THE ODD COUPLE (very close to the end of it's run) and BUTLEY (also close to the end of it's run). He didn't come out either time, and I hear that he doesn't come out and sign often. It seems to me, though, he doesn't come out and sign if the reviews are mixed to negative. Did he ever come out after THE ADDAMS FAMILY? He's also a very shy guy, so it's understandable.

My best stage door experience was after FIDDLER ON THE ROOF. Rosie O'Donnell stayed and talked to me for the longest time after everyone had left. It wasn't until they turned the lights out at the Minskoff that she decided to go. Such a sweet woman. Harvey was also very kind. Wouldn't take pictures, but he made an exception for me, because I took my mom, and being a mom, she said in her sweet southern voice "Cain mah son get a pichure witchoo? He used ta wawch you as the Eashter Bunny on ELMO all the time!" He laughed and said sure.

That was a good example of people only waiting for the stars, though. The whole chorus just walked out and walked on. I stopped the Fiddler, but didn't know who was who when they came out, since they're all bundled up on stage. I didn't even recognize Nancy Opel, so I missed her.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#22Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/28/11 at 10:58pm

As I said above, I know it is not required and I was not mad that they did not stop. Just found it weird.

As an actor I do not always like dealing with people after a show.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#23Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/28/11 at 11:20pm

What I love about stage dooring, and this may sound pathetic, is not interacting with the actors as such but watching and listening to the kind of antics that happen there.

For example, at the end of the next to normal tour listening while people are excited and waiting to meet Ripley but knowing she won't come out because she needed to rest her voice. Or people proudly saying how 'far' they've come to see the show (when I've never encountered someone who has travelled further than me).

People walking past wondering what is going on.

Watching people shove cameras and playbill's in BP's face as she gets into her car after the first preview of FOLLIES.

Also, it's interesting to see how actors approach signing things. Asa Somers would walk out with a pen in his hand ready and doesn't put it down until he has signed every willing participant he can find, while Emma Hunton more modestly doesn't carry a pen and doesn't walk out like a 'star', instead she slips out and mingles behaving wherever the crowd takes her.

Awkward hugging, awkward arms over shoulders for photos, awkward conversations, awkward compliments.

Indeed, I have tried talking to an actor at a stage door before and it didn't go well ("I love you..awkward silence") - I will just pay attention to what others are doing, I think!

We need a new thread like "Comments overhead in audiences etc.." but one for stage doors, I think.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#24Has the entire cast of a show ever ignored you at the stage door.
Posted: 9/29/11 at 11:57am

Sean Palmer ignored everyone (as in, walked right by the kids screaming for Prince Eric) after The Little Mermaid. I felt bad for the kids, he could've used another door.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

Videos