pixeltracker

Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?

Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#2Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/3/11 at 10:52pm

I almost don't even care that we just had a revival. I'd really love to see Staunton's Mrs. Lovett.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
binau Profile Photo
binau
#3Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/3/11 at 10:57pm

Argh, this is the revival I wanted reunite Mandy and Bernadette

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1025843

and

https://mesa.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=995481&boardid=1

Although I am completely satisfied seeing Bernadette in NIGHT MUSIC and FOLLIES now and realise Mandy isn't very popular so I'm willing to lay this tired, ridiculous fanboy request to rest (although I can't wait for the replacement discussions!!).

I don't think 2013 (which I assume is the earliest it could come after the West end transfer) would be too early from the last revival.....8 years is a while, and the film etc.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 11/3/11 at 10:57 PM

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#4Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/3/11 at 11:00pm

Yes, I do not like Ball but I have liked what I have seen from him in this.

Also Staunton is AMAZING at everything.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/3/11 at 11:05pm

I'm all for it if it'll wipe the memory of that last horrendous revival out of my mind.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#6Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/3/11 at 11:08pm

Saw this a couple of weeks ago -- amazing production, Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton were outstanding.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#7Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/3/11 at 11:10pm

There are some good reviews on the west end board. Apparently it's set in the 1940s/WW2 though? Which is a bit puzzling.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#8Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/3/11 at 11:20pm

Also the possibility they could bring this to BAM for a limited run

givesmevoice
#9Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/3/11 at 11:21pm

Argh, this is the revival I wanted reunite Mandy and Bernadette

Pretty sure neither of them could handle the show vocally at this point in their careers.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#10Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/3/11 at 11:27pm

Pretty sure neither of them could handle the show vocally at this point in their careers.

This, but also Mandy has never had a low enough range to be able to sing the role.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#11Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/3/11 at 11:28pm

And Sweeney isn't supposed to sound like a goat, I'm pretty sure.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#12Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/3/11 at 11:31pm

Which of Lovett's songs could Peters not handle?

givesmevoice
#13Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/3/11 at 11:33pm

And Sweeney isn't supposed to sound like a goat, I'm pretty sure.

When my local petting zoo put on a production, a goat played Sweeney. A lamb played Johanna and, in a pretty risky move, a ram played Mrs. Lovett.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#14Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/3/11 at 11:33pm

It's set in Pre-WW 2 London. I thought it worked quite well.

jo
#15Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/4/11 at 12:31am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2057405/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-So-ate-pies-Well-wasnt-Sweeney-Todds-Michael-Ball.html

>> Ball had to beg to be auditioned for Hairspray; and he pursued Stephen Sondheim until he was given permission to play Sweeney.

In fact, the composer saw the show last Friday and delayed his return to the U.S. to see it a second time. I understand he considers the Chichester Sweeney to be a landmark production and would like it, and its two stars, to go to New York.<<<

An endorsement from Mr. Sondheim himself for a Broadway transfer - can't get any better than that!

Updated On: 11/4/11 at 12:31 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#16Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/4/11 at 12:56am

"Which of Lovett's songs could Peters not handle?"

The only problems (which I realise would be detrimental) I could imagine are maybe a lack of stamina through the quick "Worst Pies" or maybe even not having the stamina necessary to get through the whole show in general (I have no idea though, I'm just imagining). In NIGHT MUSIC her "Glamorous life" if I remember correctly was a lot slower than how Zeta-Jones performed it, do you think it was because she couldn't sing it quickly? (I mean, I imagine it to be a similar thing to Worst Pies).

I don't think she lacks the raw vocal ability to sing the songs though (see: FOLLIES).

Glad I'm not the only one who suggested Bernadette for this revival in the past, though :P

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1006693&boardname=&boardid=1

Updated On: 11/4/11 at 12:56 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#17Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/4/11 at 6:13am

Bernadette screen-tested for the movie and didn't get it.

So did Imelda, actually.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

kec Profile Photo
kec
#18Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/4/11 at 6:25am

I think the Daily Mail is off on the time frame when Sondheim was there -- I think he was there the 21st not the 28th.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#19Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/4/11 at 6:30am

Fraudulent!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#20Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/4/11 at 8:09am

I hope this transfer happens Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#21Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadway?
Posted: 11/4/11 at 8:34am

If it is true that Peters auditioned fir the movie and didn't get it, then I like the movie a little less now.

I'm all for this 1940's Sweeney. We have enough 1800's versions. And if Sondheim is indeed the modern Shakespeare, mankind will be seeing all sorts of productions over the centuries! I'd like to see a modern dress production...but you know, with a proper set and orchestra.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#22Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadw
Posted: 11/4/11 at 9:17am

Staunton is the ideal Mrs. Lovett--warmly comic, yet genuinely chilling. If you go to that site, you can hear her singing "The Worst Pies in London," and it's fantastic. I had forgotten that she was seen for the film; that would have been great casting, but I guess it all comes down to whether or not you're doing the director in this case. According to IMDb, Toni Collette, Annette Bening, Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman, and Cyndi Lauper all wanted the role, as well.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#23Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadw
Posted: 11/4/11 at 10:24am

Not that I'd want a Patinkin Sweeney, but isn't Michael Ball a tenor as well?

And re non-Victorian settings, the John Doyle was what? Late 50s, early 60s?

Anyway, I'd love to see this production! I've never seen Staunton onstage, and frankly I'd take a new production of this show every couple of years.

How about this in rep with the recent Paris production?

jo
#24Michael Ball & Imelda Staunton Led SWEENEY TODD Headed to West End & Broadw
Posted: 11/4/11 at 10:45am

Michael Ball has clarified in an interview that his voice is classified as a high baritone.