ljay889
#50GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:14pm

^ Agreed.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#51GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:15pm

I wouldn't call it mixed. He likened the show Sesame Street, for god's sake.

Isherwood is incredibly particular about structure. He led with what he led with and ended with what he ended with on purpose. Other than the few nice lines about the cast, there isn't a pull quote to be had in the review. He hated the production, and he made it obvious.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 11/7/11 at 10:15 PM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#52GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:17pm

Emmaloucbway- BroadwaySpotted by BroadwaySpace...owned by Ken Davenport. A theatre gossip wannabe/shill pretending to be above BWW. Ha.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#53GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:19pm

Mr. Parrish has a fine voice and sings his ballads — “Save the People” and “Beautiful City” — with a quiet ardency that appeals.

As the adulteress saved from stoning, Uzo Aduba performs “By My Side” (written by Peggy Gordon and Jay Hamburger) with a cool ferocity that brings out the deep need in her fervor for Jesus.

Julia Mattison (the understudy for Morgan James) brings a sly seductiveness to her solo, the vampy, burlesque-flavored “Turn Back, O Man.” The show’s hit tune, “Day by Day,” is led effectively by Anna Maria Perez de Tagle

An overall negative review wouldn't have those.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#54GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:19pm

That he said nice things about the cast, no matter where in the review they may be, is the definition of it being mixed to negative as opposed to just negative.

I wonder if Morgan James will even bother coming back. Julia Mattison is getting pretty good reviews, and it doesn't seem like the show will last that long. Morgan is probably better off looking for new work.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#55GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:21pm

I think the whole cast is better off looking for new work.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#56GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:23pm

Honestly, I'm wondering if the girl jumped ship, and if Davenport didn't build in some sort of 'gag' clause to prevent any further negative publicity pre-opening. We have been stirring the pot of ghoulash pretty thick, and to say it's escaped the notice of anyone at Godspell would be pure naivete (witness the studied "clearly above it all" air BroadwaySpotted gives to its tweet).

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#57GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:30pm

thoughts on how this negative reception to GODSPELL might bode for the upcoming JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#58GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:32pm

Brent Corrigan Is STEPFORD TWINK!
Straight to DVD, Classic.

If Hunter had shown some relgious loincloth, the reviewers might have enjoyed it more.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#59GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:36pm

If Hunter had shown some relgious loincloth, the reviewers might have enjoyed it more.

Oh, tingle.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#60GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:36pm

Isherwood can't find anything pleasant to say about Adam Rapp but he gives Godspell pull quotes?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 11/7/11 at 10:36 PM

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#61GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:40pm

As far as I know, Morgan is scheduled to go back into the show right after opening.

She was cleared to perform shortly before press previews and the decision was made to keep the understudy in until opening because she had been on long enough for the cast to be working well together.

From what I hear, Morgan was unhappy with the decision, but couldn't do much to force a change.

nyla123
#62GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:41pm

Still don't understand why people expect Godspell to close immediately... These reviews aren't surprising. Isherwood's review was totally expected and even his worst line, comparing it to Sesame Street isn't that bad as the show as written is basically like the Sesame Street version of the Gospel of St. Matthew...People don't go to Godspell expecting an evening of brilliant musical theater because no production is ever going to be able to so thoroughly transcend the mediocre material (the music is great, but the "book" if there even is one, is problematic at best). People go to Godspell to hear poppy Steven Schwartz songs and have fun. This version of Godspell is nothing if not fun (its definitely over-the-top). Godspell is the closest thing I have seen to a live episode of Glee on Broadway (and I don't necessarily mean that as a compliment). It will totally appeal to people who's interest in Broadway begins and ends at that show (which unfortunately is a larger group than you might think). This production smartly played up all of those elements and it will completely appeal to the audience it attempted to target. That audience is not necessarily hardcore theater fans, but it doesn't have to be (I mean look at the grosses for Spiderman, which is FAR WORSE than this). The reviews won't mean anything because the audience it's targeting could care less.

Also as a disclaimer, I thought the show was histrionic and over-the-top and entirely too sugary. I agree with most of the negative reviews (although I found Hunter Parrish's performance charming and completely appropriate for the dippy Jesus the book creates, and his singing isn't great, but I wasn't bothered). That said, I also think its going to do a lot better than those on here think...

iluvtheatertrash
#63GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:41pm

BwaySpotted is an imbecile. And apparently hidden.

Isherwood really disappointed me tonight. I wish Brantley went with his claws out.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#64GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 11:02pm

Brantley would have been far more vicious.

I remember reading a piece somewhere (which I can't find now) that Isherwood tries so hard not to be too definitive. In reading over many of his reviews, it seems to be true. It's almost like he's afraid to make a review that might be construed as too bold.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#65GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 11:05pm

Bloomberg is a full on PAN with Telly getting the only nice comment:

"Updating the show with mobile phones and references to Donald Trump makes it no less creepy. Jesus (Hunter Parrish) can’t sing. The band sounds muddy. David Korins’s set and Miranda Hoffman’s costumes replace primary colors with dull tones. There’s one standout among the dreary supporting players: a star-quality mimicker named Telly Leung.

Daniel Goldstein, the director, and Christopher Gattelli, the choreographer, have drained the show of spontaneity. The result looks like Disney Audio-Animatronics."

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-11-07/creepy-godspell-sounds-off-key-quarterback-s-a-girl-review.html
Updated On: 11/7/11 at 11:05 PM

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#66GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 11:07pm

and "mimicker" isn't necessarily the most endearing of terms.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#67GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 11:10pm

The AP is mixed to positive:

"That might seem strange coming from a musical that is based on the New Testament's Gospel of Matthew, but this Christ, played by Hunter Parrish ("Spring Awakening"), is, in a word, milquetoast.

He's earnest and pretty and wide-eyed, but lacks an ounce of charisma, a dangerous failing for anyone attempting to play the Savior. Fittingly, he passes on wearing the traditional Superman T-shirt in favor of a baseball jersey. (The number on the back? No. 1, of course.)

Thankfully, the rest of the 10-person cast — scary-talented and many in their Broadway debuts — distract any shortage of magnetism, making this hippy-dippy show funny, infectious and reverent. Blessed indeed are the followers."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/11/07/entertainment/e192104S91.DTL

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#68GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 11:15pm

Musto is mixed (to positive?) over at the Voice:

"But the show's switches from goofy to glum are as awkward as ever, and while the Jesus (the surfer-dude-looking Hunter Parrish from Weeds) has a silkily beautiful voice, he can't make the dramatic parts as profound as they want to be."

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/dailymusto/2011/11/godspell_is_bac.php

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#69GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 11:19pm

I'll agree in saying the show won't close tomorrow, or this weekend. Godspell does have a nice fan base and I see it sticking around through the holidays. Will it stay open past new Year's, doubtful.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Dollypop
#70GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 11:22pm

As GODSPELL is so very familiar to tourists, it may very well catch on with its target audience and have a decent run. I don't know what its chances of surviving the "January slump" are. If it's heavily sold to theater parties it just might survive.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#71GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 11:58pm

There is no way this show is closing tomorrow. Maybe these reviews won't guarantee a lengthy run, but I bet it'll run at least through the holidays. Please, I'm sure they will do everything in their power to make it last until the Tonys.

I think the lighting design of this show is wonderful. It would be nice to see it recognized later on this season. Clearly, we haven't seen many other designs yet, but I think it is great work.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#72GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/8/11 at 12:32am

With these reviews, questionable advance and bad word o'mouth, it could easily close soon, holidays or not.
If the producer(s) have a good wad of cash to support a month or two (which is Alot), they will be OK, if not this JC is Crucified again.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#73GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/8/11 at 12:42am

NY Post is two and a half stars:

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/bit_bible_campy_ap5AEY7kOvd6ECidB6v5nJ

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#74GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/8/11 at 12:47am

Wherever these flocks of tourists that might keep the show alive are, should really start showing up. The grosses are looking pretty sad.

Videos