pixeltracker

Nick Jonas & Michael Urie in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?- Page 3

Nick Jonas & Michael Urie in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#50Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 10:14am

Well that's a given, since dislike of Criss means dislike of equal rights and birth control.

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#51Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 1:26pm

I have to say, I was there myself and well...I was honestly disappointed with Darren Criss in the role and his performance.

Beau Bridges, I can't even talk about. He was a hot mess. Vocally poor, in terms of acting, so poor, no energy, no acting going on, more a concentrated effort to remember lines...he wasn't funny or entertaining or enjoyable at all. There was a point he flubbed a line and couldn't get back on track and tried to 'save it' by literally saying "we got a lot of...we got....we got a lot of stuff here..." and looked at Michael Park I think and was like "what do you think?" and let him kind of save him and paraphrase the line back at him. It was pretty tragic. And I have no beef with Beau Bridges prior to this, I think he's fine, but he has no place being in this show. As a previos poster said, without the charm that Dan and John brought, things like Grand Old Ivy were just like "God, when will it end?!" - and I remember really enjoying that number when I saw the show over Labor Day weekend!

Back to Darren, yes, he is talented and I am a fan of his still and think he's quite incredible at many things, but I found his interpretation of the role, to be frank with no intention of being rude, quite boring. Considering his history and training (he grew up doing musicals in San Fran and went on to be a Theatre major at University of Michigan), I was shocked that he does not seem fit for the stage. What I saw was a man playing Finch for film. And even if that were the case, I'd still be bored by his performance. Lackluster is the word that comes to mind. Forgettable. Unfortunate that people have to pay so much to see a good high school performance of the role more-or-less.

I was pleasantly surprised over Labor Day weekend seeing Daniel Radcliffe in the role with the way he played it and how great he was on the stage - more than anything, he was always giving 110% and had such a great energy (I remember watching him and turning to my friend saying "wow...is it me or is he like, hardcore working his a$$ off?!"), and he found a great quality of Finch where he is manipulative yet you are still charmed by him and rooting for him (a 'Harold Hill' quality, if you will). He was truly a leading man driving the entire show (at least by the time I saw it after he'd been in the role for quite some time) backed by an amazing cast; not the case with Darren. He played the role as more of the straight man - very naive as opposed to finding that Harold Hill quality in Finch. All the things that happen to this character due to his ambition and cunning were played more like "oh man, look at my luck!" as if he'd accidentally fallen upon good fortune rather than "yup, I planned that - now I'm gonna go back to playing naive and keep up my manipulation of this entire situation" (I'm speaking most specifically of the blackout moments with the pinspot on Finch whenever he manipulates a situation and feigns ignorance). I never believed he had orchestrated anything that happened to him. He played it as if he had accidentally tripped into puddles of sunshine; as if everything was happening around him and he was trying to keep up with it; he wasn't driving the show, the situations...he was just kind of there, reacting to everything very safely in his acting choices.

And there were scenes you could see the people Darren or Beau were on stage with do something and then just kind of drop it after it hung in the air for a moment and wasn't picked up or reacted to by Criss or Bridges. It made me sad to see those moments particularly.

Criss was great with the dancing I thought, and sounded...fine, but honestly his voice is much too thin for broadway - at least for this role; maybe more of a pop musical would work for him in the future - having seem him live in several things, I have to say that he sings MUCH better than this role showcases for him vocally.

I just expected him to really blow it out of the water considering his background in theatre and am still shocked by how unimpressive he was.

I'm hoping that he was just nervous or it was early and he was afraid to take risks or something. I really do hope he's better than the performance he gave on Tuesday night. Still a fan and rooting for him, but I'm not going to be one of those fans that thinks he can do no wrong. He wasn't anything impressive and almost feels miscast in the role. I hope he gets better though or that, next time he's on Broadway, it's in a role that is more suited for him and really shows his strengths. He's much more talented than his performance in this role shows.

Also, it broke my musical theatre soul a little to hear all the tweens laughing and loving every little thing he did, even when he gave poor deliveries of certain things that are supposed to be charming or funny. They were just handing it to him, all he had to do was show up. C'mon people - have some kind of standards please...

And after one of the numbers (I think Rosemary) some girl in the house left box shouted something like "I love you Darren" just as the applause was dying down. The people around me that were old enough to drink at least were like "she needs taken out and shot. Enolugh already." Lots of people around us were being shushed cause they were giggling and being ridiculous over every little thing he did, there were girls crying at merely being in his presence (I WISH I was making that up), the phraes "he's so cute!" was overheard by me far too often after he'd say something in the show (after he'd say ANYthing in the sohw) ...it's gotten out of control the all out worship of him. He is talented. He is kind of adorable. But he is not the second coming, nor is he great in this show, in this role. Far from it from what I saw Tuesday night. Yeesh.

Just know if you go that it's a rough audience to be in due to the teenagers and they're worship of the D-Criss.

If I show you the darkness I hold inside, will you bring me to light?

buddy 11432 Profile Photo
buddy 11432
#52Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 2:02pm

I liked Daniel Radcliffe much more in "Equus" but then I saw "How to Succeed" very early on.

thepangelinanpost Profile Photo
thepangelinanpost
#53Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 2:12pm

I much preferred Criss's vocals, as well as his interpretation of the role. He had a more slimy personality, which /i think fits Finch better than Radcliffe's more earnest acting. I'm sure the mistakes will get better over time, too bad he doesn't have very long.

pitfever
#54Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 2:30pm

Based on the interview clips I saw, it seems like Criss has a different approach playing Finch than DanRad. So, I think it's just a matter of personal taste, people might like DanRad's Finch more than Criss, or vice versa.

Jordan Catalano
#55Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 2:30pm

Over time? He's in this for three weeks, guys. Stop using that as an excuse for him not being great.

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#56Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 2:40pm

Seriously, I couldn't agree with you more Jordan. It's not like the successful film actor is adapting to how theatre works. He was raised on it, studied it in college (at a great program, btw), he knows what he's doing and that it's something you fine tune PRIOR to performing in rehearsals. Shoot - AVPM was only performed for what, one weekend? And he was good in that! I jsut don't think he is good in this role, that's all.

Adn I didn't find him slimy at all. I foudn him...innocent and sweet and clueless in his interpretation. That's why I didn't like it. But to each his own, that's just my opinion. I will absolutely agree to disagree. But as someone who hopped on a bus and for a round trip of 8 hours, drove about 6 roundtrip, and was only in NYC 8 hours to see him in this show since otherwise I'd miss it, I was really (and still am) shocked that he seemed more like someone doing their first piece of theatre let alone any good. Was just disappointed. While it's not acceptable in my mind, I do hope he gets better the more he performs...but considering the things I've seen him do with less rehearsal time adn less performances that he rocked at because they were just better suited to him, I don't hold ou ta lot of hope.

Hope others enjoy it though!

Jon
#57Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 2:44pm

He didn't "only have two weeks to learn the lines". He knew MONTHS AGO he was doing the part. I'm sure they gave him a script.

I've worked in summer stock where you have ONE WEEK of rehearsal. You come in the first day with your lines already memorized.

emida Profile Photo
emida
#58Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 2:54pm

This is depressing... I was really excited to go see him, but all I'm reading is making me change my mind... I love Glee, but I honestly don't want to have to endure all the fangirling over Darren and having seen Daniel Radcliffe in the role last summer, it looks like I'll be disappointed. I also don't understand the casting of Beau Bridges as Biggley.

I'll wait to see if the reviews are getting better after a few performances, but I'll only be in NY next Wednesday... I doubt that there'll be much difference! Anyway, I'm glad I bought a ticket for Follies instead! Now I'll just have to pick between Darren's not so good reviews and irritating fangirls or Anything Goes...

snl89
#59Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 3:08pm

^Once again, I'll just stress: I wouldn't let the reviews on here discourage you too much if you know you like Darren. I'll wait to see him myself before I say anything else, but all I know is that on Glee, too, there are people who think he's terrible, and I enjoy him greatly, so it's all a matter of personal taste.

Maybe you'll find you really don't like his take on it after all, but at least try going in with an open mind and see for yourself, if it was something you were interested in seeing to begin with.

This is my outlook in general, not just with Darren. I think putting too much stock in other peoples' negative opinions can sometimes cause people to discard something they might otherwise have really enjoyed.

(For the record, if I remember correctly weren't quite a few people on here pretty harsh on Dan at first too? Maybe not, but I thought I remembered him not getting a great reception on here either until a bit later)

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 1/5/12 at 03:08 PM

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#60Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 3:14pm

What makes me sad is the fact that the understudies could most likely do 100% better, but because Broaday is a business after all, they don't have a shot at doing the part.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#61Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 3:16pm

I have to agree that Criss's voice was very thin and not well-suited for the role. However, I liked his interpretation of Finch very much. I wouldn't use the word "slimy" to describe how he played it, as I found him more innocent and agreeable, particularly in the first act. I know that I'm in the minority here, but I enjoyed Bridges' performance acting-wise (singing-wise it was atrocious), although I wish he had a better grasp on remembering his lines, his ultimate downfall.

In regards to the fangirls, all I can say is wow. Exiting the theater itself involved a tremendous amount of skill due to the mob of screaming girls gathering right outside the doors. Also, Jane Lynch was in the audience last night, and her presence caused pandemonium during intermission with girls screaming and people in the mezzanine running to peek over the balcony, desperately trying to catch a glimpse of her. It was madness.

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#62Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 3:18pm

snl, that is a valid point and a good mentality to have. I have both missed out on something I ended up eventually seeing on tour sans some amazing original bway cast members because I was told I'd hate something I ended up loving, and seen things I was looking forward to that I wished I'd been warned about. More or less, I have some folks who know me and what I appreciate most about my theatre, and if they tell me not to waste my time and money because I'll be disappointed, I usually heed that advice. I'm not that voice to people here though, so it makes sense to go and form your own opinion by all means.

However, I do want to just put it out there that enjoying Darren Criss does not mean you'll like him in everything he does. With any performer, sometimes people just don't shine like they often do when the stars aren't aligned, and this was the case for me seeing him in this role. LIke I said, I traveled from Ohio to be in NYC for 8 hours to see Darren on broadway cause I'm a fan of his and there was only one day during his run that I could go. I also traveled ot Chicago this summer to endure hours of rain and insanely dangerous crowds to see him play live. I am a fan, the boy is talented, adn I am still a fan, but I am not dewey-eyed enough to pretend like he's great in things when he falls short. That's all I'm saying - just want folks to know they may be disappointed. I may have liked it more if I'd gone in knowing that rather than expecting the same great performning I'd seen of him in the past, that's all.

But yes - go and form your own opinion, especially if you're a fan. You'll be happier to be able to say you were there and saw him on broadway. :) And while my love of him was already diminishing for lots of reasons that are better left unsaid, it didn't turn me against Darren or anything. I still dig him. I'd just much prefer to see him in something he wrote for himself that he shines in or in concert where he was incredible and put on a show worthy of standing in the rain, getting felt up by strangers and standing for hours, lol.

On that note, I'm going to stop instigating on this thread now. :)

Updated On: 1/5/12 at 03:18 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#63Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 3:54pm

My outlook on limited-engagement star casting has always been this- if you wanted to see How to Succeed and you didn't like Darren, you got to see a show that still has a lot of strong things going for it but was missing a leading man that pulled it all together. If you wanted to see Darren Criss, you get that- he's a likeable and charismatic performer, if a bit miscast according to reviews. Seeing him in the show is not the sort of thing that will make you hate him or the show itself.

But if you're going in to see if Darren Criss is the definitive Finch, in the definitive production of H2$, you're more than likely not going to find that.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#64Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 6:48pm

You are all being way to kind in your reviews. Jeeze people. It is freaking Broadway. Not the Pocoima playhouse or a local community production. Mr C is boring and bland and being eaten alive by everyone else on that stage. And the fact that Mr Bridges , whom has known he is doing this show since he started doing press for The Descendants at least 3 months ago , CAN'T REMEMBER HIS FREAKING LINES ..is a outrage. And don't get me started on the brats that are in the audience. Every time things got messy on that stage they would shout ... WE LOVE YOU CHRIS. If people keep spending their dollar and supporting crap like this.. Then in the future that is exactly what you will be getting on broadway. Crap. I was comped. And I still want my money back.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

buddy 11432 Profile Photo
buddy 11432
#65Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 8:46pm

I saw a Wednesday afternoon performance of Hugh Jackman Back on Broadway just before Christmas. He talked too much to the audience, and even his singing and dancing was not as good as expected. Ok, it was well into the run & he was probably tired.

Because it was Wednesday afternoon, middle aged women made up most of the audience. The female Darren Criss fans could not have been more annoying than the female Hugh Jackman fans. They laughed at every joke and applauded very loudly after every song. I ask several women why, the answer: "We just love Hugh!"

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#66Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 8:53pm

I think there's a big difference between hooting and hollering, etc, vs "laughing at every joke and applauding loudly". Even if it is admittedly annoying when you think something's mediocre at best and you see fans of a performer act over enthusiastic that way but... Suck it up--that's thewir right to go to a performance and clap extra loud (at the right moments) and laugh even if the joke is lame, etc. That's what you get for being in an audience. Besides which Hugh is in a one man show that is played fairly loose--it's such a different situation that I find the comparison laughable.

(I apologize if the female Hugh fans--or the male--were shouting things at Hugh, etc, and I just missed that part in your comment).

Jordan Catalano
#67Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 8:58pm

It's just such a shame that hardly anybody has gone to see HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING. They've gone to see Daniel Radcliffe or Datren Criss, not one of the great shows written for the musical theater.

Jordan Catalano
#68Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 8:58pm

Updated On: 1/5/12 at 08:58 PM

EricMontreal22
#69Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 9:00pm

Jordan, I agree with you but at the same time, that seems to be the way it is for many/most revivals nowadays. (And I guess it's not only a new thing, not sure how many people went to see the original musical for Robert Morse but surely some did, not to mention other shows that became hits because people went to see a performer over the show--of course it's worse now, and more often about a non theatre performer, but it's not a uniquely modern situation).

ThePinkSuperhero
#70Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 9:12pm

Any tried to rush in the past day or two? How are things looking?

Jordan Catalano
#71Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 9:15pm

I'm outside the theater now waiting for rush seats next Wednesday.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#72Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 9:19pm

>> They've gone to see Daniel Radcliffe or Datren Criss, not one of the great shows written for the musical theater.

But even in its original run, it was designed as a star vehicle. It's just that, back then, the star in question knew how to turn the driver's wheel to someone else, and the audiences appreciated that gesture.

A different time, to be sure.

http://docandraider.com

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#73Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 9:24pm

I ask several women why, the answer: "We just love Hugh!"

I love it when people survey random audience members.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

EricMontreal22
#74Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 9:28pm

"Why are you laughing at Hugh's jokes and applauding extra loudly??" "We love Hugh!"

Brilliant audience survey