BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL

Brian Byrne
#1BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/22/12 at 10:38pm

Now that the Times has squashed "Superstar"; it's "Follies" vs "Evita" for the TONY. Never would have thought that "Follies" would have stood a chance because of its' January closing. It is looking very possible that "Follies" could have a very good TONY night.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#2BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/22/12 at 10:43pm

Porgy and Bess received decent reviews as well. I wouldn't rule it out yet. It's also far too soon to say about Evita but it's probably shaping up to be a three way race between Evita, Follies, and Porgy and Bess. I definitely don't think Follies can be ruled out of any categories yet. It's certainly got a decent chance to get recognition on Tony night.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/22/12 at 11:32pm

who gets that 4th nomination: JSC or Godspell?? Evita, Follies & Porgy & Bess are all locks.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

PlayItAgain
#3BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/22/12 at 11:39pm

I honestly think Godspell does, it might not have been a critic pleaser but its an audience pleaser for the most part, remember it comes down to the voters who see it, not the newspaper critics... Updated On: 3/22/12 at 11:39 PM

ChenoKahn Profile Photo
ChenoKahn
#4BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/22/12 at 11:41pm

The only way I don't see JCS getting nominated over Godspell is if some of the nominators don't want two ALW shows nominated. Which seems highly unlikely.

EDIT: Another option is if JCS closes first or looks like it's about to close.

Updated On: 3/22/12 at 11:41 PM

PlayItAgain
#5BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/22/12 at 11:45pm

^huh?

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#6BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/22/12 at 11:45pm

Godspell's attendance and grosses have been abysmal. As stated in an article from the Times, it has low running costs and has been able to refinance to stay afloat. I think it'd be a stretch to call it an "audience pleaser."

JSC's reviews have been far better than Godspell's. I'd have to assume that JCS would get the 4th slot but wouldn't be overly shocked if Godspell took it.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

PlayItAgain
#7BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/22/12 at 11:52pm

I read that article and no where did I see it stated they refinanced, and I meant for the most part those who have SEEN it have enjoyed it for what it is....

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#8BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/22/12 at 11:59pm

FOLLIES will win.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#9BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/23/12 at 12:03am

Neither is a faultless production. And of course it's completely subjective. And I don't want to debate the point.

But I still don't understand why anyone would prefer Follies to Porgy and Bess.

Just wanted to say that.

Now I feel better.

Thanks.

PlayItAgain
#10BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/23/12 at 12:05am

I honestly think all of the revivals have been mostly awful (have yet to see Evita and P&B) especially the overhyped follies (granted there were good performances but its was average at best)

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#11BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/23/12 at 12:22am

The think the nominees will be Evita, Follies, Porgy and Bess, and Jesus Christ Superstar. I don't think Godspell will get a nominee. I am definitely hoping for Evita to take home the Tony for best musical.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#12BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/23/12 at 1:19am

Well, Kenny D. has a chance for a nomination after all.

His Godspell might be amateurish, but perhaps more entertaining than Jesus Christ SuperBland.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

ChildrenwillListen
#13BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/23/12 at 10:23am

I hope Godspell at least gets a nomination

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#14BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/23/12 at 10:35am

But I still don't understand why anyone would prefer Follies to Porgy and Bess.

Because you're supposed to prefer Follies over everything. That's the rule.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#15BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/23/12 at 10:51am

I thought Porgy and Bess was LEAGUES better than Follies, which I thought was super overrated save for Jan Maxwell. Porgy will still be open, so I give it the edge on winning the award.

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#16BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/23/12 at 10:55am

With the show still open at Tony time and a national tour to sell, expect a major push by the producers of PORGY & BESS for a win.

Is it possible there'll only be three nominees? (EVITA, FOLLIES, PORGY & BESS)? Hasn't that happened before?

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."
Updated On: 3/23/12 at 10:55 AM

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#17BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/23/12 at 10:58am

The thing with Godspell is...their numbers may be low, but I don't know anyone who has seen it who DISLIKES it. The critics didn't like it, but anyone I know (either on here or friends) who went have loved it - the cast is really excellent and it does what Godspell needs to do.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#18BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/23/12 at 11:02am

I saw it and LOATHED it...

PlayItAgain
#19BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/23/12 at 11:54am

^ yeah but everyone on here hates everything....

jstarr2
#20BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/23/12 at 12:40pm

Curtain Critic's Tony blog thinks it's going to be Follies
http://blog.curtaincritic.com/post/19190826974/98-days-out-tony-contenders-best-musical-revival

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#21BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/23/12 at 12:48pm

LOTS of people here did not love Godspell.

I wouldn't say I loathed it, but I found it only "ok".

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#22BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/23/12 at 12:52pm

I have seen many things this season that I loved. Godspell wasn't one of them.

Ed_Mottershead
#23BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/23/12 at 1:17pm

Clear Day is a clear lock for Best Revival of a Musical.

BroadwayEd

ChenoKahn Profile Photo
ChenoKahn
#24BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
Posted: 3/23/12 at 2:32pm

PlayItAgain - What is your obsession with Godspell?

Videos