Tony Nom Predictions

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#50Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/7/12 at 11:14pm

Just curious, but how much of a blow (in prestige) would "Evita" sustain if Elena Roger fails to get a Tony nomination? from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Jonwo
#51Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/7/12 at 11:23pm

I think either Ghost or Leap of Faith will be snubbed but it depends which one gets the worse reviews. I could see Raul getting a nomination but not the show.

Newsies I think Jeremy and Kara will be nominated in the acting catergories and possibly Capathia Jenkins, it's sort of a shame there isn't a best ensemble award as they'd win that hands down. Other nominations I think they'll get are Best Musical, Best Choreography and Best Director. Cant see the book or the set design being nominated.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#52Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/8/12 at 1:32am

I don't think there'd be a noticeable difference at the box office if Roger doesn't get nominated. The big draws now are the Evita name and Ricky Martin. I don't think many people will see or not see the show based on Roger. If Ricky Martin gets a nomination, on the contrary (probably not likely but we'll see what happens), sales would explode.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#53Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/8/12 at 1:37am

No, I do not think it would impact the box office. She really SHOULD be nominated though. I have a feeling the best actress category this year will be like the best actor category last year where we thought there were some definite locks who turned out to not even get nominated.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

roadmixer
#54Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 10:07am

Anyone care to update this thread since we're now a little over a week away from the Tony Nominations?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#55Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 10:36am

I think Elena deserves a nomination. To be fair, the category is for best ACTRESS in a musical. Singing voice aside, her acting was pretty spectacular. I don't think she deserves to win, but she should get a nod.

kevin5
#56Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 6:19pm

you forgot streetcar named desire as best revival and you forgot bernadette peters for best actress in a musical. my vote goes to them both

kevin5
#57Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 6:22pm

I think Bernadette deserves to win

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#58Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 6:29pm

Bernadette is not winning.

The TONY is Audra's to lose.

PiraguaGuy2
#59Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 6:34pm

Best Musical:
Ghost
Nice Work if You Can Get It
Newsies
Once

Best Revival of a Musical:
Evita
Follies
The Gershwin's Porgy and Bess
Jesus Christ Superstar

Best Score:
Ghost
Leap of Faith
Newsies
Once

Best Book:
Lysistrata Jones
Nice Work if You Can Get It
Newsies
Once

Best Director of a Musical:
Jeff Calhoun, Newsies
Kathleen Marshall, Nice Work if You Can Get It
Eric Schaeffer, Follies
John Tiffany, Once

Best Actor in a Musical:
Danny Burstein, Follies
Raul Esparza, Leap of Faith
Jeremy Jordan, Newsies
Norm Lewis, Porgy and Bess
Steve Kazee, Once

Best Actress in a Musical:
Jan Maxwell, Follies
Audra McDonald, Porgy and Bess
Cristin Milioti, Once
Kelli O'Hara, Nice Work if You Can Get It
Elena Roger, Evita

Best Featured Actor in a Musical:
Phillip Boykin, Porgy and Bess
Michael Cerveris, Evita
Tom Hewitt, Jesus Christ Superstar
Andrew Keenan-Bolger, Newsies
Michael McGrath, Nice Work if You Can Get It

Best Featured Actress in a Musical:
Jayne Houdyshell, Follies
Da'Vine Joy Randolph, Ghost
Judy Kaye, Nice Work if You Can Get It
Jessie Mueller, On a Clear Day You Can See Forever
Elaine Paige, Follies

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#60Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 6:59pm

Is Once going to be eligible for best score?

....but the world goes 'round

binau Profile Photo
binau
#61Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 7:02pm

It would be cool to see something like this happen:

Jayne Houdyshell, Follies
Elaine Paige, Follies
Rosalind Elias, Follies
Terri White, Follies
Judy Kaye, Nice Work If you Can Get it

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/23/12 at 07:02 PM

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#62Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 7:05pm

I agree, qolbinau. Or at least 2 or 3 of the Follies girls.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#63Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 7:13pm

"Is Once going to be eligible for best score?"

No

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#64Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 7:56pm

ONCE WILL NOT BE ELLIGIBLE FOR BEST SCORE!!!!

Best MUSICAL
Newsies
Once
Nice Work if you can get it
Lysistrata Jones

Best Play
Other Desert Cities
Clyborne Park
One Man Two Guvnors
Peter and the Starcatcher

Best Revival of a Musical
Follies
Porgy and Bess
Evita
Godspell( I know people a going to hate me for this but I hated JCSS)

Best Revival of a Play
Death of a Salesman
The Best Man
Wit
A Streetcar Named Desire (because it didn't get panned as badly as everyone expected it to be)

Jeff Calhoun, Newsies 
Eric Schaeffer, Follies 
John Tiffany, Once 

Jeff Calhoun, Newsies 
Eric Schaeffer, Follies 
John Tiffany, Once 

Choreography
NEWSIES
NICE WORK
EVITA
FOLLIES vs Once (not sure about this because neither isn't a dance heavy show but both are loved by the community) 

Best Score
Newsies
Leap of Faith
Lysistrata Jones
Ghost/Bonnie and Clyde...I would bet on Bonnie sadly because according to most it's his best score
Honestly I would throw One Man Two Guvnors in there

Best Orchestrations
Newsies
Once
Follies (not sure if their new they are by the same orchestrator as the original)
Nice Work/Godspell

Best Book of a Musical
Newsies
Lysistrata Jones
Once 
Nice Work

Best Actor in a Musical
Danny Burstein Follies
Jeremy Jordan Newsies
Steve kazee Once
Raul Esparza Leap of Faith
Norm Lewsies Porgy and Bess

Best Actress in a Musical
Audra McDonald Porgy and Bess
Jan Maxwell Follies
Christin Miloti Once
Pick 2
Elena Rogers EVITA/ Bernadette Peters Follies/ Kelli O'Hara Nice work

Best Featured Actor in a Musical:  (this is a weak feint I had a tough time remembering performances)
David Alan Greer, Porgy and Bess 
Michael Cerveris, Evita 
Josh Young, Jesus Christ Superstar if he was at enough performances
Andrew Keenan-Bolger, Newsies 
Michael McGrath, Nice Work if You Can Get It 

Kara Lindsay Newsies
Judy Kaye Nice Work
NaTasha Yvette Williams Porgy and Bess
Elaine Paige Follies
Lindsay Nicole Chambers Lysistrata Jones because I love her

Best Actor in a Play
Philip Seymor Hoffman Death of A Salesman
James Cordan One Man Two Guvnors
John Laroquette The Best Man
Adam Chandler Berat Peter and the Starcatcher
John Lithgowe The Columnist/ Alan Rickman Seminar

Best Actress in a Play
Nina Arianda Venus in Fur
Linda Edmund Death of a Salesman
Cynthia Nixon Wit
Stockard Channing Other Dessert Cities
Tony Bennett End of the Rainbow

Best Featured Actor in a Play
Christian Borle Peter and the Starcatcher 
Tom Edden One Man Two Guvnors
Eric McCormick The Best Man
Andrew Garfeild Death of a Salesman
James Earl Jones The Best Man

Best Featured Actress in a Play
Judith Light Other Dessert Cities
Celia Kennan-Bolger Peter and the Starcatcher 
Candice Bergan The Best Man
Angela Lansbury The Best Man
Daphne Rubin-Vega A Streetcar Named Desire

Scenic Design Musical
Once 
Newsies
Follies
Nice Work
(Spiderman can easily slip in here)

Scenic Design Play
Clyborne Park
One Man Two Guvnors
The Best Man

Costume Design Musical
Spiderman
Follies
Nice Work
On a Clear Day

Costume Design Play
Are their any other plays with actual costumes that arn't everyday clothes or basic period wear

Sound Design Musical
Once 
Newsies
Porgy and Bess
Lysistrata Jonesi

Sound Design Play
One Man Two Guvnors
Magic / Bird
The Best Man

Lighting Design Musical
Once
Newsies
Ghost
Follies

Lighting Design Play
One Man Two Guvners
Magic/ Bird
Seminar

mmh1019 Profile Photo
mmh1019
#65Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 8:11pm

saw newsies a few weeks ago, LOVED it. Everybody is feeling the love for Andrew Keenan-Bolger, which is totally fine with me, but if we're looking at Newsies beyond Jeremy Jordan, I've got to throw Ben Fankhauser's name in there. This is his Broadway debut & he leads one of the more recognizable songs from the show/movie "Seize the Day" with total confidence & holds his own during Kings of New York with an incredibly talented group of dancers. would love to see him get some love bc he was awesome.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#66Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 8:19pm

@mmh1019
I would say Ben frankhauser but when I saw they show and loved it I thought he was the weakest part of the show. He may lead the largest number, but he constantly dropped his accent, and he was always shown up by the kid who plays Les.

Jonwo
#67Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 10:07pm

Would Andrew Keenan Bolger be nominated for Crutchie, he's great but he's only in it for Act 1 and the end of Act 2, Davey's the bigger role but I can't see Ben Faunkhauser being nominated.

mmh1019 Profile Photo
mmh1019
#68Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 10:35pm

I must have caught Ben on a good night because I really liked him. The 2 kids playing Les are both great & adorable so I think it would probably be tough not to be upstaged by them. I loved Andrew Keenan-Bolger & I definitely think he has the better shot of being nominated of the 2 (other than Jeremy) but Ben deserves some props bc he does a really nice job.

MyLife
#69Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 11:03pm

I agree with mmh. Ben was fantastic - innocent, genuine, you saw his character growth. I've seen the show a couple times and enjoyed his performance equally both times.

As for the accents, I noticed them all drop it a couple of times. I even thought Andrew Keenan-Bolger's was too heavy and put-on at times(his "and the things we do today will be tomorrow's news" on the recording irks me to no end, which is unfortunate because it's a great line).

With that said, I think Andrew gives a wonderfully endearing performance as Crutchie. I never thought it'd be a Tony nominated part, but with his Outer Critics Circle Award nomination announced today, who knows at this point. I would like for him to get nominated to show that it's not the number of lines that make a part, but the impact one makes with the amount of time spent onstage.

But back to mmh's thought. Yes, Ben is great, but I think it's a role that is easily overlooked. In a show with big voices, numbers, and dances, it is difficult for the grounded character to be the one to stand out at the end.

CurtisB Profile Photo
CurtisB
#70Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 11:24pm

Best Score is going to be one weird category this year. With Once out and Ghost getting hit hard with reviews, I can see LJ being nominated. Let's see what Thursday holds for Leap.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#71Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 11:29pm

Since everything except Newsies and Once have been or are expected to be panned...Nice Work, whose cast will get some notices alla Nathan Lane and Bebe Newurth in Addams Family, and Leap of Faith I think LJ might just be resurected from the dead..not to win anything, but to be nominated its book is a lock, and its score is looking more like a lock each time another review comes out

Jonwo
#72Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 11:36pm

I expecting Newsies will get a nod for Best Score and at this point, i think it'll win it as well.

Both Once and Newsies will get a lot of nominations at the Tonys but I don't see either show getting a clean sweep.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#73Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 11:40pm

If NEWSIES wins for Score, which it almost certainly will (I still don't get why it's eligible if ONCE isn't, but whatever), I'd LOVE to see ONCE take the gold for Best Musical.

I'm really, really pulling for ONCE over NEWSIES this year. It's a far better show in nearly every way. But since when does that matter..?

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#74Tony Nom Predictions
Posted: 4/23/12 at 11:41pm

Newsies will win score, but Once will win Orchestrations
Newsies wins book, Once wins sound design
Newsies Wins choreography, Once wins set design
Newsies and Once fight over director, but i think Newsies will take that
then comes best musical...i honestly think it is all dependent on momentum from the the previous awards so who ever wins the outer critics circle since it will be the first to be announced will likely sweep the rest alla Memphis

Videos