Once

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#1Once
Posted: 4/14/12 at 1:11am

Is there a thread about how wonderful it is? I can't find it.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#2Once
Posted: 4/14/12 at 1:14am

There's a thread with people disputing whether it's wonderful or not. We can keep this thread for those of us who think it is wonderful. I was enchanted by it. :)

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#2Once
Posted: 4/14/12 at 1:17am

As was I. This thread was really necessary though as I can't think of enough superlatives to describe Once. It deserves all of it.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

staticradar Profile Photo
staticradar
#3Once
Posted: 4/14/12 at 7:17am

It was one of the beautiful shows I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. I'm taking my grandmother to see it May 9th because I think she will enjoy it as well. This is one show that has stuck with me long after the curtain closed. It literally was so good it hurt. I'm so excited to get to experience that again and share it with someone I think will appreciate it as much as I do.

You're always sorry, You're always grateful, You hold her, thinking: "I'm not alone." You're still alone.
-"Sorry-Grateful" Company

JoanBennett Profile Photo
JoanBennett
#4Once
Posted: 4/14/12 at 7:43am

I LOVED it every one of the four times I've seen it... unlike anything I've seen before. There are moments when the audience isn't breathing they are so into it... Can't say enough how moved I was. Glad others were too.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#5Once
Posted: 4/14/12 at 8:31am

I saw it for the second time last night - and was even MORE enchanted, moved and captivated by it.

Steve Kazee returned to the show on Thursday, after losing his precious Mom a few days earlier. His performance was so magnificent - the emotion real and with a rawness that took my breath away. Such an emotional time for him: the high of this incredible success and the low of the loss of his precious Mom. May she Rest in Peace, and may he find strength in their shared love.

Cristin Milioti fascinates me. Every gesture is for a reason; nothing wasted. Her talent is beautiful and her performance is brilliant.

The entire ensemble is such a talented group of actors and musicians. Each of them brings a special touch to the ensemble.

The movement on stage - choreography of each and every move - is beautiful. A dance that floats across the stage. They all work together as one.

I LOVED it the first time I saw it, and immediately knew I wanted to see it again - and share it with special friends. I ADORED it even more deeply seeing it again. And know that there are others I want to share this with. It's that beautiful. It's that special.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#6Once
Posted: 4/14/12 at 9:35am

The next morning, I'm still haunted by it. Such an unconventional musical, but one that uses music and words and movement to tell a simple story that rings so deep and so true.

And each performance subtly drawn, with humor and heart.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#7Once
Posted: 4/14/12 at 10:22am

How's the show curtain?

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#8Once
Posted: 4/14/12 at 10:58am

How's the show curtain?

Best one ever! It serves cocktails.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#9Once
Posted: 4/14/12 at 11:03am

I honestly can't think of any other show on Broadway right now with so much warm, heartfelt emotion & passion. And for it to also be very intimate and close, you feel so much for these characters by the end. I wish this show nothing but the best.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

nexttotheheights Profile Photo
nexttotheheights
#10Once
Posted: 4/14/12 at 6:13pm

I'm finally decided to see the show, and I'm really excited. I don't want to be that annoying person, but how are the seats from the side or rear mezzanine. It seems like an intimate show will I lose any of that if I sit there?

For those who thought NEXT TO NORMAL wouldn't have a life outside Broadway, well it's now playing in 4 cities, 9 different countries and has been translated into 6 languages.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#11Once
Posted: 4/14/12 at 6:25pm

It's the most intimate of the Broadway theaters, I think you'll be fine.

Copperfield2
#12Once
Posted: 4/14/12 at 9:40pm

Since I've seen the show three times off-Broadway and once on Broadway, I may not be seeing it again for a while. I wonder how long Steve Kazee and Cristin Milioti will stay with the show.

I can't wait to see what Tony nominations its receives. I hope a lot. Best Musical, Direction, Book, Orchestrations, Lighting, Actor, Actress, maybe at least one supporting actor nomination, set?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#13Once
Posted: 4/14/12 at 9:43pm

I would GUESS that the entire cast has one year contracts, pretty standard under most circumstances.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

willep
#14Once
Posted: 4/14/12 at 9:54pm

The side/rear mezzanine seats are totally fine. I sat in the second to last row of the center mezzanine section once and same row, off to the side once and you don't miss anything or lose any of the intimacy.

After Eight
#15Once
Posted: 4/15/12 at 12:41am

Updated On: 4/15/12 at 12:41 AM

willep
#16Once
Posted: 4/15/12 at 12:44am

We get it, you didn't like the show. Move on.

After Eight
#17Once
Posted: 4/15/12 at 12:46am

Updated On: 4/15/12 at 12:46 AM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#18Once
Posted: 4/15/12 at 12:52am

Cristin deserves the Tony-he performance is a work of art.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#19Once
Posted: 4/15/12 at 9:24am

I agree, Bettyboy72!

And, to After Eight:

Thank you so, so much for starting this thread which was so obviously necessary.
Why, surely, no search could have turned up any previous thread on this show.

In fact, if you enter the word ONCE into the (mostly) useless Search field, you do NOT get the previously posted ONCE Review thread. You get threads in which the word is used, or the show is referred to, but not a Review thread.
The other ONCE thread on this page wasn't the Review thread.

Updated On: 4/15/12 at 09:24 AM

After Eight
#20Once
Posted: 4/15/12 at 9:58am

NYadgal,

Thank you for clarifying that.

I apologize to Pal Joey, if, in fact, he did not know there had been previous threads on the subject, and he had used the search only to find none.

If he did know, however, and started another thread anyway, then I would say, hey, that's ok too, were it not for the fact that when a newcomer here does this without even knowing about the search feature, they are blown out of the water like two seconds later.

Let there be equal standards for everyone here.

And parenthetically, I think it would be nicer to greet newcomers more nicely. They might be more likely to stick around, and they might have something worthwhile to say.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#21Once
Posted: 4/15/12 at 10:00am

I wholeheartedly agree with you on that point!

violet72 Profile Photo
violet72
#22Once
Posted: 4/16/12 at 9:25am

Finally saw it Saturday and I loved it....it was beautiful...the music, the story, the acting was so good. I was a big fan of the movie and now I think I like the stage show better. After 2 days it is still haunting me

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life. Define yourself"