pixeltracker

Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)

Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)

JoanBennett Profile Photo
JoanBennett
#1Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 5:13pm

AP reporting on Jonas' mini-release at link below. The only other case I can think of was Merman releasing a few songs when she was in Hello Dolly.

Historians: when has a performer recorded a cast album after the production already had one for that run? (Have I covered all my bases there?) Criteria are show is still running and performer is still in it. Oh heck, give examples of AFTER the show has run or the performer left if there are any.

Any other examples? Thanks

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/04/17/arts/ap-us-theater-nick-jonas.html?_r=1&ref=arts

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#2Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 5:14pm

Wasn't there an album released after Brooke Shields joined Wonderful Town?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

RadioTV2@gmail.com
#2Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 5:15pm

There was a 2 song CD for the "Annie Get Your Gun" revival featuring Reba McEntire singing "You Can't Get a Man with a Gun" and "I Got Lost in His Arms".

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 5:16pm

Kiss of the SpiderWoman
Grease
Wonderful Town

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#4Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 5:19pm

I actually think the second Spiderwoman is as good (if not better) than the first. Williams' vocals are heaven, Stokes sounds fantastic, and McGillin brings a vocal richness to the score that thrills.

Of course, the original recording is pretty great, too.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#5Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 5:19pm

When Brooke Shields took over in both Grease and Wonderful Town new recordings were done. However, they were the full original cast albums with Brooke Shields singing where the previous actresses (Rosie O'Donnell/Donna Murphy) sung.

The difference with Kiss Of The SpiderWoman was that the three main leads were included, not just the "star", like the Brooke Shields recordings.

Which has always made me wonder, why did Brooke Shields get recordings, and other replacements (who were much better) did not?

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone
Updated On: 4/17/12 at 05:19 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#6Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 5:24pm

The most famous was probably Pearl Bailey in Hello Dolly where the production was pretty much the same (and continued its original run), but the cast changed race.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

#7Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 5:25pm

There was a Sunset Boulevard EP but I can't remember who sang it- Maybe Glenn Close?

There were multiple Joseph re-releases with the various actors stripped in- Donny Osmond, Shaun Cassidy. The CDs were identical except there was a small "Tag" in the upper right that said the name of the actor.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#8Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 5:29pm

HELLO, DOLLY! issued a 2nd full OCR with the "all negro" cast headede by Pearl Bailey. The first OBCR was still in print adn selling well but David Merrick adn RCA Victor though a 2nd cast album would cash in on the publicity surrounding the cast change.

HAIR already had its off-Broadway cast album in circulation when the show transferred to Brodway. RCA Victor recorded the Broadway version which became a million-seller and eventually they quietly dropped the off-Broadway album from their catalogue, bringing it back briefly as a budget-priced reissue in the 1970s, and currently as 2 CD set with both versions.

How about teh same cast recording the shwo twice? Columbia had the Broadway MY FAIR LADY cast album in mono (White cover) and when the show went to London, re-recordede it again in stereo (Gold cover.)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#9Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 5:30pm

I think I actually have a Sunset Blvd EP from the tour featuring Linda Balgord.

FindingNamo
#10Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 5:39pm

I have Betty Buckley's "Sunset" ep.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

#11Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 5:41pm

So there were a few Sunsets.

If you want full-cast replacements there was also a black Guys N Dolls.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#12Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)

^There's TONS of Sunset Boulevard CDs with a few tracks from each new Norma. I have ones with Betty Buckley and Petula Clark. In both cases I believe those CDs were recorded in London for when each actress took over in the London production. There's also select tracks from the Australian production, US tour and the UK tour in 2001, but those were not released in addition to a full cast album for that production as stated in the original post.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#13Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)

There was a Sunset Boulevard EP but I can't remember who sang it- Maybe Glenn Close?

There were several:

Glenn Close
Betty Buckley
Linda Balgord
Petula Clark
Faith Brown
Debra Byrne
Daniela Ziegler

And Elaine Paige recorded three tracks included on her compilation album, Encore.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 4/17/12 at 05:41 PM

luha
#14Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 5:48pm

There was also a Diahann Caroll/Rex Smith SUNSET

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#15Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 5:53pm

I've seen a a Jon Secada Grease- maybe just a few songs.

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#16Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 6:04pm

I think the only person who didn't end up with a recording from Sunset (while they were in the show, and was either a Broadway or London replacement) was Rita Moreno. Everyone else ended up with an EP (Betty Buckley, Petula Clark) or recorded songs for their own album (Elaine Paige).

These other people also had EPs, but they were technically not what the OP was asking about: Linda Balgord EP was from the tour, Faith Brown EP was from a London revival, Glenn Close EP was a promo and was excerpts from the full cast album, Debra Byrne was from the Australian cast, which had no full recording (a shame since that was one of Hugh Jackman's first big theater roles). The Diahann Caroll/Rex Smith CD was from the Canadian production, and hence not in the scope of the OP's question. Daniela Ziegler's EP counts, since the German cast with Helen Schneider was recorded and put out.

Also, there was the recent Netherlands tour that started with Simone Kleinsma, and she got a "full" highlights CD live recording. Pia Douwes joined the cast later as an alternate, and recorded a "live EP" of four songs. Both CDs were released together in one package, as it was always the plan to have both ladies alternating the role, but Pia couldn't do the first couple of stops as she had other prior engagements.

As a side note: The Broadway understudy for Norma, Karen Mason (I think she did the whole run) did finally do a recording of "As If We Never Said Goodbye" on one of her solo albums.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

JoanBennett Profile Photo
JoanBennett
#17Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 6:20pm

Faye Dunaway recorded it?

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#18Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 7:06pm

Would Grey Gardens count?

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

THDavis Profile Photo
THDavis
#19Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 7:08pm

Grey Gardens had two albums when Davie took over Little Edie. I believe it's identical to the off-Broadway recording with Davie's vocals added in and one or two song changes.

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#20Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 7:19pm

Faye Dunaway never recorded it, though I believe she never got past the rehearsal stage to take over the LA production, hence why I didn't mention her. I'm pretty sure if she did sing it well enough (the point of contention on why the show was shut down), I'm pretty sure she would have gotten an EP recording also, since she is still fairly famous.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

PattiLover Profile Photo
PattiLover
#21Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 7:54pm

"There was also a Diahann Caroll/Rex Smith SUNSET"

That was the original Canadian cast recording.

NoHSMisNotAMusical
#22Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 8:20pm

"There was a all-black Guys and Dolls"

Nope, that was a revival.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#23Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/17/12 at 11:10pm

When Company opened in London with Larry Kert, they patched his vocals onto the Original Broadway Cast album and released it in London.

The vocal engineering and mixing was pretty primitive in 1971, so it sounded very obvious when his voice cam in over the cast, but his solos were superb.

voteforsaraberry Profile Photo
voteforsaraberry
#24Help Historians: When Has This Happened Before? (Jonas H2$)
Posted: 4/18/12 at 11:10am

Wasn't there something for Seussical when Cathy Rigby was the Cat? Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Videos