pixeltracker

Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here - Page 9

Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here

kevin5
#200Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 11:25am

bernadette peters deserved the tony for FOLLIES, I am glad Jayne Houdyshell got a nomination, she deserves to win. Am I the only person who thinks Streetcar named desire was a wonderful production????? I am surprised it got nothing I hope stockard channing wins for best actress and other desert cities takes best play

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#201Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 11:27am

Osnes just recieved her first Tony nomination for the wrong role. She deserved a nomination MUCH MORE for 'Anything Goes' last year instead of Patti Lupone, who is one of the most talented women ever in musical theatre but was really nominated just because of who she was. I also felt that she deserved it last year more than Tammy Blanchard, who is also a very talented woman but her performance in 'How to Succeed in Business Without Realy Trying' was not her best.

Blanchard was out when I saw How to Succeed, so I can't speak about her nomination, but I definitely think that LuPone gave a great performance with not-great material. I thought that her role wasn't nearly as showy as Benanti's, and that she accomplished a lot more with a lot less. I did really like Osnes in Anything Goes (I really enjoy her as a performer), but I think some chips landed as they should have last season.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#202Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 12:04pm

I feel like Evita was robbed big time. The fact that Leap of Faith was nominated over Ghost and Spider-Man and Bonnie and Clyde just shocks me. I know I am in the vast minority here, but I do NOT like Once at all, and it got a lot of nominations that should have gone to other shows. Yes, I said it... I can't stand Once.... Still overjoyed for Osnes!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

beautywickedlover
#203Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 12:13pm

Here are Entertainment Weekly's thoughts on the suprises and snubs. They were expecting Angela Lansbury to get a nomination. Also, they too were surprised about Laura Osnes getting a nomination over Bernadtte Peters and Elena Roger.

Tony Award nominations react: Big surprises, shocking snubs

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#204Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 12:14pm

Regarding the Avenue Q thing AGAIN...they said they would tour, they opened a sit-down in Vegas, and then they toured. And if they won a Tony because they said they would tour, then it's just corruption of the voting committee, but the show DID TOUR. Nobody lied and it shouldn't make a difference anyway with regards to a Best Musical Tony. Honestly, I sort of wish they hadn't toured just to cause an upset in the Tony voting process. It's ludicrous since many musicals not nominated for Best Musical tour anyway. I saw Young Frankenstein on tour and I know why it wasn't nominated. The Addams Family is currently on tour in version 3.0. Big, Seussical and Footloose toured. I really don't understand why it's still being considered an issue.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#205Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 12:22pm

Completely thrilled for Once's 11 nominations!!! Best Musical is between Once & Newsies. Best Musical revival is between Follies & Porgy & Bess. Best Lead Actress(musical) is between McDonald, Maxwell & Milioti. Best Lead Actor(musical) is between Burstein & Jordan. Featured Actor/Actress(musical) is a toss up and feel almost anyone can win.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

michellek45
#206Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 12:23pm

100% agree with you about Once, bwayphreak. Also, I'm a bit puzzled by Elizabeth A. Davis' nomination- I honestly had to look at my Playbill to figure out who she played. Melissa Van Der Schyff should have had her spot; she was definitely robbed. I'm thrilled for Phillip Boykin and David Alan Grier, as they almost stole the show from Audra and Norm at points.

Osnes for Featured and both One Man Two Guvnors and Peter for Score were the biggest surprises for me, though I'm glad for Osnes (like many others, I loved her in Anything Goes as well). It seems odd that they would have half the Score nominations taken up by plays, but I thought that Peter's score was far better than most of the lackluster scores we've had for musicals this season. (Haven't seen One Man, Two Guvnors, so I can't comment)

I really hope Peter sweeps in most of its categories- it was the best thing I've seen this season.

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#207Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 12:34pm

bwayphreak, I'm with you on Once too. It just strikes me as the equivalent of a pretentious indie film and kind of overhyped. And just not to my personal taste. So I'd love to see Newsies win best musical- its more of a well-rounded production, in my opinion.
If Maxwell doesn't win actress I could see Milloti winning as a nod to Once. Especially if Jeremy Jordan wins actor (which I hope he does) and Newsies takes musical.

After Eight
#208Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 12:44pm

Re, Passion. It was running when the nominations and awards were given.

Re, Into the Woods/Phantom. Someone said Woods clearly had the better book and score. Clearly to whom? Not to me, certainly.

Re, One Man... Since these awards have nothing to do with merit, you have to look elsewhere for explanations. Here, the producers probably shot themselves in the foot for trying to have the play considered a revival. They were trying to pull a fast one, and they paid for it with this snub.

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#209Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 12:46pm

Laroquette was robbed. How can he goon stage with JEJ without bitterness? THAT will be acting!

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#210Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 12:53pm

Re, Passion. It was running when the nominations and awards were given.

Yes, you are right.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#211Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 12:57pm

I am shocked that Leap of Faith got the last Best Musical slot over Bonnie & Clyde and GHOST. Both were more deserving of it in my opinion.

And no Patrick Page or Ricky Martin in the Featured Actor category?!

Given all the good reviews Ricky received I thought he would have been a shoe-in.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#212Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 1:07pm

Mr Matt, I think the thing with "Q" was that they were expecting the tour sooner and Q opted to do Vegas first. I had a conversation with a voter abut it that year.

Just give the world Love.

mmh1019 Profile Photo
mmh1019
#213Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 1:09pm

I'd say the leading actor category is between Kazee, Jordan & Burstein.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#214Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 1:10pm

I hope Jordan wins. Between B&C and Newsies this year he was fantastic

rjm516
#215Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 1:13pm

I am sad for Elena Roger. She really deserved a nom. Can't believe One Man was omitted. Audra really deserves the win for an unbelievable, once in a lifetime performance. I would be thrilled for Kazee, Jordan, Norm, or Burstein winning, so that will be good. Crossing fingers for Nina Arianda and Judith Light.

ChildrenwillListen
#216Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 1:16pm

I am actually quite surprised by some of these, mainly Jesus Christ Superstar and Leap of Faith. Others I can't really complain about.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#217Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 1:23pm

Ricky should have been nominated.
Terri or Elaine for Follies IMHO.
Patrick Page for SMTOTD.

I also believe that they should have given the musical nomination to Ghost or at least Spider Man.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#218Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 1:32pm

I'm glad that Jayne Houdyshell was nominated for FOLLIES. She was shamefully robbed in the Supporting Actress In A Play category a few years back when the Frances de la Tour's merely adequate by the numbers performance of a very easy role in the obscenely over-rated HISTORY BOYS beat out Houdyshell's magnificent performance in WELL.

Frances was by far the favorite to win that year, and Jayne wasn't even the second favorite to win. She was third or fourth behind Tyne Daly for Rabbit Hole.

100% agree with you about Once, bwayphreak. Also, I'm a bit puzzled by Elizabeth A. Davis' nomination- I honestly had to look at my Playbill to figure out who she played. Melissa Van Der Schyff should have had her spot; she was definitely robbed.

For what it's worth, every time Davis was on stage, I couldn't take my eyes off her. She does it all in Once. She plays the violin beautifully, dances incredibly, sings with a gorgeous ethereal quality (the high descant at the end of If You Want Me is stunning), and plays Reza with combination of sharp wit and tenderness. She may have only 10 lines or so, but she's being nominated for her well-rounded work. She absolutely deserved the spot over Van Der Schyff, who in my opinion is severely overrated.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#219Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 1:43pm

The calculated snubs are so blatant it's hilarious.

My immediate response reading the nominations was to laugh at how many people got smacked down.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#220Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 1:46pm

devonian.t??? Please define snob.
I'd define snob as "one who laughs at people getting 'smacked' down in their profession."

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#221Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 1:59pm

@Patash---It's "SNUB" not "SNOB".

Snub: An act of showing disdain or a lack of cordiality by rebuffing or ignoring someone or something.

michellek45
#222Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 2:08pm

For what it's worth, every time Davis was on stage, I couldn't take my eyes off her. She does it all in Once. She plays the violin beautifully, dances incredibly, sings with a gorgeous ethereal quality (the high descant at the end of If You Want Me is stunning), and plays Reza with combination of sharp wit and tenderness. She may have only 10 lines or so, but she's being nominated for her well-rounded work. She absolutely deserved the spot over Van Der Schyff, who in my opinion is severely overrated.

We can go back and forth on this, but I think in the end we'll probably agree to disagree. I found her character forgettable, and I don't think being talented (which she was) makes her deserving of a nomination. The role itself was the problem, not the actress. You think she elevated it, I don't. And then Van Der Schyff, who I thought was funny and heartbreaking, you seem to find just "alright." It's a matter of taste, I guess.

hermajesty Profile Photo
hermajesty
#223Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 2:14pm

There is soooooooo much talent this year, it would be difficult for any panel to make decisions.

All problems are man made and so, can be man solved.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#224Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
Posted: 5/1/12 at 2:16pm

Mr Matt, I think the thing with "Q" was that they were expecting the tour sooner and Q opted to do Vegas first.

Right and it should have nothing to do with the Tonys at all. And the crazy rage that ensued when they announced the Vegas production was ridiculous. Everyone was in a snit about how they pulled one over on the Tony voters and whatnot. And then Avenue Q goes on tour and nobody says a word.

The last time I can remember where touring really seemed to have weight in the voting for Best Musical was Thoroughly Modern Millie. Urinetown wins for Direction, Book and Score yet the big prize went to Millie. That was kinda nuts.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian