pixeltracker

Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)

Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#1Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/8/12 at 8:27pm

Last year I made a mistake of not getting a Book of Mormon ticket before the Tony nominations. So, I was not let that happen again. The night before I decide to buy my ticket to Once.

As it sounds like a wonderful intimate show, I want to support the production and also get a good seat. I've seen many shows there from the Mezzanine - this time I'll be in the orchestra. Why does Telecharge not have an interactive seat map yet is beyond me. Anyhow, I buy a ticket at full price and I'm sure it's worth it.
Looking at the map, I'm in Row A Seat 7 all the way to the left. There are rows AA and BB, so it should be just fine (I assume some seats were removed for this production).

I arrive in the theater to find this lively Irish band playing on stage, with other patrons around them - fantastic! The set looks great, not a lot to block my view, I think. As patrons are eager to go onstage, I wait and get a drink until the show is about to start.

There was what it seemed to be a railing to assist the audience to go up and down the stage - I'm so happy it comes off! Nothing to obstruct my view, perhaps I'll miss some action from stage right. Thinking about it, it's not the best seat, but whatever.

The show starts. An older gentleman sings a lovely song. Then proceeds to grab a chair and sit RIGHT IN FRONT of me. Now, I have the best view of such peformer's behind and his chair and nothing else.

Now I think - this seat is sold as full priced. No way this is going to stay like this.

Before I go on, I must say I have bought partial/restricted view tickets before. You miss a few things, it's a restricted view seat after all. This full price ticket was not restricted view, it was NO VIEW. At all. I would have been forced to climb on the guy seating to my right to try and see something. It was like I was listening to a live recording of a show. I look at how the patron on the opposite side is handling the matter, as she is in the same situation - she's sound asleep.

To keep this rant short: the man and the chair eventually moved, just to be replaced by another man and another chair. Then a vacuum. Then the vacuum is stored right on my face, but not properly as a few minutes after, the handle hits my head. Usher rushes down and apologizes - oh wait! She does not apologize, why would she? - I'm in the NO VIEW seat anyhow! Then a woman and her chair. Then a bank scene and a girl and her chair. Then intermission (I think, as the light come up).

Me (at patrons around me) Can you see anything?
Patrons around me: Not much, but we were warned when we bought these heavily discounted tickets from TKTS/Box Office that they were partial view.

Me: Dear Mr. House Manager, I have a problem with my seat...
Him: Front row very left
Me: ...
Him: I get that every night, but production claims the view is "fine". Show is sold out tonight. You can stand at the back. Here's my card send me a letter and see what I can do.

Me: Dear Box office person...
Miserable man doing nothing: Talk to House Manager, don't bother me...

So, the sucker who bought a full priced ticket now has a standing room privilege! Yay!

The best they would do, I've been told, is offer a ticket to another show. Well, I can't take my private jet to New York all the time, my agenda is too full, Mr. House Manager.

1. How did no one in the production or a performer say: This person won't see ANYTHING, should the chair be slightly more upstage?

2. Should we charge very partial view price for this seat?

3. It is wonderful that a blind person decided that this NO VIEW ticket actually gives a lovely perspective of older gentleman's bum.

4. Any suggestions as to what I should say or ask for on my letter to the HM and production as my experience was ruined?

The end. Thank you.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#2Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/8/12 at 8:59pm

That's an awful experience. I couldn't help but laugh that the vacuum handle fell on your, but wow. You'd think by now they would have fixed the situation staging wise or something.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#2Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/8/12 at 9:17pm

So sorry you had that experience. I remember seeing History Boys, also designed by Bob Crowley, and those seats on the sides were heavily obstructed also. Has no one learned?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/8/12 at 9:20pm

very sad to hear this. this seat should not be sold, especially since manangement knows about it.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

WickedRENTAwakening Profile Photo
WickedRENTAwakening
#4Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/8/12 at 9:25pm

Oh my god. I sat in the same exact seat and It ruined my entire "Once" experience. I was furious the whole performance. Frankly those seat should not be sold hell, they should not even be given away. If I knew what the view was I would have dished out for premium seating. I am from Los Angeles and I listened to the CD obsessively for a month and was VERY VERY excited to see this more then any other show in my 13 show itinerary. The house was packed and staff was rude so I did not feel comfortable asking to be relocated. I only saw Kazee sing one song ("Say it to me now it" I believe and that was a rear view.) Come to think of It I should probably ask for a refund. Either way I am so turned off. I even saved room in my itinerary later on that week so I can see it again but after that experience I passed. You defiantly have my condolences.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#5Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/8/12 at 10:10pm

You didn't miss much. The show sucks. One of the most overrated, pretentious piles of manure I've had the displeasure of enduring in quite some time.

Updated On: 5/8/12 at 10:10 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#6Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/8/12 at 10:16pm

Did you send the letter?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#7Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/8/12 at 10:30pm

Thank you everyone for your sympathy.

I haven't sent the letter yet, PJ.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#8Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/8/12 at 11:08pm

To Blaxx, and everybody. Never buy any far left or far right seat less than 5 rows from the stage.

2. ALWAYS nicely complain, and send letters to the Mgr, etc, detailing what they could do, reasonably, that would make you happy as a customer. The reason these thingS tend to continue is because patrons are fed up and give up. Don't give up. IT'S YOUR MONEY!!

Updated On: 5/8/12 at 11:08 PM

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#9Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/8/12 at 11:29pm

I don't want to sound like a broken record because I have said this in other threads before about ONCE, which I did like btw....it's probably not the house staff or the casts fault for not speaking up they probably did...the issue is the shows Ruthless producers!!!! They are trying to turn Once into a Rent...which it will never be...they want to sell every last seat and make as much money as they can..I know NEWSIES has several problems with restricted view seats, but even on ticket master the clearly make it known and extreme side orchestra seats are $20-$40 less than regular orchestra seats..and DISNEY would be much more likely to offer you a refund after an experience like that.

After hereing this I truly believe the Once being the Goliath and NEWSIES being the David...Disney has paid their Broadway dues over the years and now it's Once's producers turn to do the same

thetinymagic2
#10Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/8/12 at 11:41pm

all great points bdn, however it all boils down to $$$$$$$$$$$.
And you're comparing apple and oranges, Newsies is gigantic, Once is small. Once's producers are going to squeeze every last penny. Like I said, (above), don't be a sucker and buy those seats.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#11Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/8/12 at 11:45pm

Greedy producers aside, a show does not need to "pay their dues" to deserve and win Best Musical, so that's not what it should come down to. Come on, we're talking about Disney for crying out loud. They know a thing or two about making money. Once is doing everything it can to get its name out there because it's a word of mouth kind of show. It does not have the pizazz or legion of pirouetting chorus boys that Newsies has. Newsies is definitely the safer bet for voters and the Once team knows that. It's all part of the game.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#12Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/8/12 at 11:48pm

Tiny magic actually Newsies and Once are at similarly sized theaters...the Neadlandr only has a little over 100 seats more than the Jacobs surprisingly and their potential grosses are only $120,000 apart so ONCE is not really that much smaller than NEWSIES

thetinymagic2
#13Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/8/12 at 11:51pm

oh sorry for the confusion, bdn, I was talking about the weekly "nut", not the size of the theater. Anyway, I feel really bad for blaxx and anyone else who sat in those ridiculous seats.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#14Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/8/12 at 11:53pm

Agreed...I'm just glade I already saw once...because I have a feeling that if it wins the TONY it's producers are going to try an pull a mormon

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#15Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/9/12 at 12:40am

I think it just has to do with the design. Perhaps if ONCE was designed with that theater in mind it would be different, but something tells me the NYTW did not have any obstructed views.

RUkiddingme
#16Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/9/12 at 12:47am

When i buy something and I'm not satisfied with it, I call my credit card company and dispute the charge.

It's easier and more attractive than whining about it to friends or strangers.

Producers don't read meassage boards. They read chargeback statements.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#17Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/9/12 at 1:29am

Well, that's probably because you're easier and more attractive than me, love.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#18Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/9/12 at 4:22am

It's MORE ATRRACTIVE? Are you kidding me?

Blaxx, I'm sorry your seat sucked so badly and took away from the experience of the show. Indeed, you should complain. The producers need to know WHY you are upset. Please keep us informed should you hear anything back.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

whatever2
#19Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/9/12 at 8:54am

blaxx: RU's (utterly) random snark notwithstanding, disputing the charge with your credit card company was the very first thought that occurred to me. American Express in particular has always been very pro-cardmember in my experience, but even if you used Visa or MC i bet you'd get some traction.

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#20Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/9/12 at 9:57am

See, if you write the letter, it becomes a document. It can be copied and sent to other people and used as external, objective proof of something they may themselves be trying to achieve.

In this case, the house manager seems to have had heard the complaint before and has been told by the producers, nevertheless, that the seat will go on being sold. He offered to let you stand at the back during a sold-out performance AND gave you his card AND asked you to send him a letter and told you he would see what he could do. (Did he say he would refund your money or did someone else suggest that? That was unclear in your post.)

It seems to me that he did all he could. With an eloquent letter of complaint from you in hand, he might be able to get the producer to get the director to open up that staging or, if that is not possible, remove the seats from on sale.

Do it today--and make it as calm and non-bitchy as you can while still expressing you disappointment in not being able to see the show despite having paid full price for a ticket. Mention how understanding the house manager was.

Post your letter on this board and on All That Chat, if you post there. CC as many of the producers you can get email addresses for. Make it polite, but make it viral.

If you write the letter, you may make a change happen.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#21Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/9/12 at 10:19am

Make noise, and lots of it - write to the general manager, the marketing office, the theatre manager, and the Times. CC everyone on everything.

You'll get satisfaction if you make a lot of noise; I've never seen it fail.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#22Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/9/12 at 10:25am

What PJ said.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#23Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/9/12 at 10:26am

I think before Blaxx starts writing to the Times and everyone else, which is the type of thing that's impossible to pull back from gracefully, see if a well-crafted letter gets any results. I bet it will.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#24Once and the NO VIEW seat (A long rant)
Posted: 5/9/12 at 12:26pm

I don't think the Times is necessary, nor do I think they would print it.

But cc'ing the general manager is a great idea. That's who the house manager would probably refer it to anyway. Email addresses for the GM and some of the producers can be easily found by googling.