Phantom vs. Ghost

a.jean
#1Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/2/12 at 10:14pm

I am going to New York on a class trip and one of the days we get to pick a show that we want to see. I have it narrowed down to two shows. Phantom of the Opera and Ghost. I have never seen Phantom on stage and heard it is phenomenal on Broadway! But then I have been hearing great reviews about Ghost. Ghost is new and has an amazing technical set. I am torn should I see the classic musical that has always been on Broadway or the newly raved musical?

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#2Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/2/12 at 10:22pm

Ghost is not a hit it's been panned just as bad as spiderman it's likely going to close by the end of the summer or even this month....I've seen almost every show on the boards except phantom...honestly I'd see Peter and the Starcatcher because it's a great show and unlike Newsies or Once which I'd also recommend you will like be able to get discounted tickets

felix5
#2Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/2/12 at 11:58pm

Nobody wants to say it so I will.
Phantom Sucks!
See ANYTHING else!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/2/12 at 11:59pm

What kind of class is this for? I'm guessing not a theatre class.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#4Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 12:00am

It sounds like you really want to see Ghost.

It's not a very good show, but based on your post I feel like you're gonna regret not having seen it.

So against my personal recommendation I say see Ghost.

....but the world goes 'round

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#5Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 12:03am

I second PETER AND THE STARCATCHER. I enjoyed it significantly more than either of the other two shows. In any case, enjoy!

a.jean
#6Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 12:06am

I am actually seeing Peter and the Star Catcher while I'm there as well! It is for my theatre class/club. Newsies is also a possible show I'd consider seeing!

Phantom4ever
#7Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 12:07am

Go see Phantom. A classic piece of theater in its original production. But, I warn you, the haters will come after you for it.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#8Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 12:11am

Then see Newsies not to be a theater snob but it's always better to see a show with its original cast than when the spark is still the then 25 yrs later when the cast is running on fumes.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#9Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 7:14am

The Phantom of the Opera is one of the masterpieces of modern theatre - I know I'd go with it, as much as I love GHOST.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#10Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 7:16am

You can see Phantom anywhere anytime. I'd go with GHOST.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#11Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 10:41am

Phantom will be on broadway for years to come....go see Ghost

TheLadyoftheWood Profile Photo
TheLadyoftheWood
#12Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 11:06am

Neither, see Newsies. I saw Ghost and regretted it. The only really redeeming quality of that show were the Oda Mae scenes. Saw Phantom stupidly 6 years ago and will never see that show again.

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#13Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 11:24am

While I appreciate that Phantom is a classic and I'm glad I saw finally saw it last year, myself and two teens found it laughably over-the-top at times. You can rent the video of the stage production. I haven't seen Ghost.

cgreen7240
#14Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 12:53pm

I love Phantom but I agree with some of the other people you could see it at anytime. I have not seen Ghost but I would say based on what people on here are saying you should not see it. I was in New York about a month ago and I saw Once and Newsies and Rent. Once was simply amazing. The acting is honest and heartfelt and the music is so beautiful. Also this show was extremely creative and surprisingly funny. It really pulls you in and I would highly recommend Once (it was my favorite). Then there is Newsies which has so much energy and is extremely exciting! I had so much fun watching this show! The choreography is phenomenal! The performances were so great. I am in love with this show! It was just so crazy and awesome and more than I ever expected. It was so thrilling. And those guys can dance! You will not regret it. Also Rent was really unexpected and fun and sad and just really great and funny! Any three of those shows I would highly recomend seeing. Sorry this was so long.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#15Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 12:56pm

Ghost was enjoyable. The visuals were out if sight.Phantom will still be here next year.

Poster Emeritus

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#16Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 5:01pm

I have no desire to see Ghost. It looks awful to me, so I cannot recommend that.

I have seen Phantom of the Opera 18 times, but never in NYC. There are few changes between the NYC production and the tour, so I recommend Phantom on tour. It's not as expensive, the actors are of equal quality as the NYC cast, and more-or-less, Phantom is sure to come to you. Honestly, I think Phantom comes to Houston, TX about once every four or five years.

So... my recommendation... see something NEW! Not a revival, per say. But something like ONCE, Newsis, or even (I know I'll get flamed for this) Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark. Spider-Man is pure spectacle, but it will NEVER tour because of the ariel stunts in the show. This is why I'm seeing Spider-Man this July.

No matter what you choose, enjoy your trip!

AEA AGMA SM
#17Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 6:03pm

Just to point out the US tour of Phantom closed a couple of years ago. It is unlikely that the full Hal Prince production with Maria Bjornsen's amazing design will be seen on the road anytime in the near future.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#18Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 6:23pm

I won't say Phantom Sucks.

I think if someone doesn't go to Broadway often or at all. It is a big musical that has held up quite well over the years and worth it for the novice to see.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

felix5
#19Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 10:20pm

See? People just won't say it so I will, again.

Phantom Sucks!

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#20Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 10:24pm

For a school trip, I'd say Phantom.

With the (appropriate) musicals currently playing, if not Phantom, I'd say Mary Poppins. Newsies bored me.

This isn't the best time for school trips.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#21Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/3/12 at 10:32pm

@Felix5

"Nobody wants to say it so I will.
Phantom Sucks!
See ANYTHING else!"

Instead of just saying the same thing twice why not explain the reason why you don't like it?

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#22Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/4/12 at 7:56am

'Ghost is not a hit it's been panned just as bad as spiderman'

Ghost walked away with quite a few mixed and positive reviews so it was hardly critically mauled ala Spiderman (just people on here like to say it was).

I enjoyed Ghost a lot, yes the visuals are big and over the top but to be fair so were Phantom's when it opened. I have to say i would rather sit through Ghost a million times than sit through the lumbering bore that is Phantom.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

shane54
#23Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/4/12 at 8:03am

Ghost is a very good show. Good music, strong voices, unbelievable set, magic. Go and see GHOST!!!

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#24Phantom vs. Ghost
Posted: 6/4/12 at 9:15am

Since the Phantom tour is closed... I SAY SEE PHANTOM!

Phantom is a fun show. It has some over the top melodrama, but that makes the piece fun. The score is lush with beuatiful and memorable melodies. The skill required to sing some of the more operatic songs is amazing.

The sets and costumes are LEGENDARY!

SEE PHANTOM!!!