pixeltracker

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 7:14am

I'm actually glad this isn't another film-to-stage adaptation!

Although I'm sure some will miss the Bricusse/Newley songs (Candy Man, Pure Imagination, Oompa-Loompa, I Want It Now, I've Got a Golden Ticket, etc.)

LINK

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 6/18/12 at 07:14 AM

amoni2 Profile Photo
amoni2
#2Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 8:16am

Exactly, now love Mr.Shaiman & Mr. Wittman's work and welcome any chance of getting more, but I think the general audience will be expecting the songs from the iconic film.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#2Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 8:54am

I am very excited about this! I hope it does well enough to come to Broadway. I love the book and it would be a terrific musical if done well. (I admit I love the original Newley/Bricusse score as well.) But I think this has the potential to be really good.

wonkit
#3Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 9:00am

Talon Ackerman as Charlie - YES!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 9:11am

I wonder if the cast will be all UK or mixed with US actors.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Fosse76
#5Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 9:21am

"Exactly, now love Mr.Shaiman & Mr. Wittman's work and welcome any chance of getting more, but I think the general audience will be expecting the songs from the iconic film"

This is the exact reason Cameron Macintosh teamed up with Disney to produce Mary Poppins. He new that there was no way he could produce the show without the iconic music from the Disney film. I don't know if that will be true about this project, though.

Bwayman2
#6Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 9:24am

Charlie and the Chocolate factory is one of my favorite movies of all time. I agree, I will miss the original score. Especially my 3 favorites, "Candy Man", "I Want It Now", and "Cheer Up Charlie".

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#7Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 9:40am

Talon is really amazing-he'd be a great Charlie!!!!

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#8Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 11:21am

There's a stage version with the Bricusse/Newley songs. Unfortunately, it also adds some new songs to bulk up the score that are pretty dreadful (Wonka's opening number rhymes "chocolate wiggles" with "chocolate giggles").

Gothampc
#9Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 11:50am

Nobody can match the song "I Want It Now". I feel sorry for the actress who plays Veruca Salt. She won't get as great a song as that.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

JohnyBroadway
#10Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 11:54am

It's to bad they couln't combine the two, like they did with Poppins.

KirbyCat
#11Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 12:00pm

Charlie and Matilda? Rohl Dahl is taking over! (I'd personally love The Witches to be adapted for the stage.)

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#12Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 12:03pm

Something tells me that after this opens, the movie's songs will start creeping into the show a la "I'm A Believer" in SHREK (another musical idea that started with Mendes).

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#13Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 12:12pm

If Pure Imagination isn't the best potential stage showtune, I don't know what is.

degrassifan
#14Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 1:05pm

I don't understand...if the songs from the movie won't be used, then why is Warner Bros involved?

broadwayfreak2 Profile Photo
broadwayfreak2
#15Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 1:10pm

Very exciting to hear Shaiman and Wittman are involved. The score will be absolutely fantastic!

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#16Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 1:18pm

Wonder if Martin Short is still attached.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#17Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 1:37pm

In case many on here aren't aware, there are 2 (two) different film adaptations of Roald Dahl's legendary 1964 book CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY. Each film is its own entity though they used the original book as its source:

WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
Directed by Mel Stuart with a screenplay by Roald Dahl and David Seltzer
Music & Lyrics by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley
Released in 1971
Willy Wonka played by Gene Wilder

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
Directed by Tim Burton with a screenplay by John August
Music & Lyrics by Danny Elfman, Roald Dahl and John August
Released in 2005
Willy Wonka played by Johnny Depp

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#18Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 1:41pm

While I prefer the original movie, Roald Dahl certainly did not. The end result was very different from his book. So, if they are doing a straight-from-book adaptation, it may be very far removed from the Gene Wilder gem.

Updated On: 6/18/12 at 01:41 PM

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#19Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 1:43pm

The article says "with new songs written by"- that could mean All New Score, or it could mean, Some Songs from the Movie and Some New Songs added, much the same as Mary Poppins.

beautywickedlover
#20Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 1:45pm

"Although I'm sure some will miss the Bricusse/Newley songs (Candy Man, Pure Imagination, Oompa-Loompa, I Want It Now, I've Got a Golden Ticket, etc.)"

So will I. I just hope they don't make exactly like that Tim Burton version. I did not like how the kids were portrayed and Depp was a miscast in my mind. I thought it also lacked heart and was too electronic.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#21Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 1:50pm

Has there been a James and the Giant Peach stage show? That would be fascinating.

degrassifan
#22Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 1:56pm

"The article says "with new songs written by"- that could mean All New Score, or it could mean, Some Songs from the Movie and Some New Songs added, much the same as Mary Poppins."

That's what I was thinking too, especially with Warner Bros involved. But it could very well be the first option.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#23Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 2:11pm

I believe only three songs from the original film, Candy Man, Pure Imagination, and the Oompa Loompa song, were popular enough to become iconic (though Candy Man became something more of a popular standard than its association with the film, which really isn't very relevant to the plot). I'd keep those three (or even just two) and then round out the score with new material.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#24Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - The Musical!
Posted: 6/18/12 at 2:16pm

Though I, along with most everyone, am a huge enormous fan of the 1971 film adaptation, if you actually read the original 1964 book, you'll notice the film deviated and changed things quite a bit. Certain 'rooms' were not included in the film and even Veruca Salt's bit is altered from its version in the book.

Tim Burton chose to remain faithful to the original book therefore purists of the book were happy to see that Burton retained the dark tone of the book as well as kept the 'rooms' and their bit intact -- including Veruca Salt's section: the squirrels and the nuts: ALL from the original book. The songs used for Burton's film are taken verbatim from the book though Burton's composer Danny Elfman wrote original music for them.

Comparing both films is redundant as each one is an interpretation of the book. One deviated quite a bit from it (the 1971 WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY) and the other followed the original book in detail (the 2005 CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY).