pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 3:07pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12 Click below to access all the grosses from all the shows for the week ending 6/17/2012 in BroadwayWorld.com's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: OTHER DESERT CITIES (15.0%), GODSPELL (12.7%), VENUS IN FUR (11.8%), PORGY AND BESS (5.8%), MARY POPPINS (4.6%), ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS (3.9%), SPIDER-MAN TURN OFF THE DARK (3.4%), PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESERT (3.3%), A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE (2.8%), DON'T DRESS FOR DINNER (2.2%), ANYTHING GOES (2.0%), HARVEY (1.7%), JERSEY BOYS (1.5%), ONCE (1.5%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1.0%), NEWSIES (0.5%), ROCK OF AGES (0.3%),

Down for the week by attendance was: END OF THE RAINBOW (-13.4%), EVITA (-9.5%), GHOST (-5.9%), CHICAGO (-3.3%), MEMPHIS (-2.2%), MAMMA MIA! (-2.1%), CLYBOURNE PARK (-2.1%), THE COLUMNIST (-2.0%), NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT (-1.4%), WAR HORSE (-1.2%), WICKED (-1.0%), JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR (-0.7%), SISTER ACT (-0.6%), PETER AND THE STARCATCHER (-0.4%), GORE VIDAL'S THE BEST MAN (-0.2%), THE LION KING (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 3:23pm

The Tonys proved to be a major boost for Other Desert Cities and Venus In Fur.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 3:26pm

Holy cow Once!!! Almost grossing $1 million!! Kudos to Newsies & Nice Work for pulling in strong numbers, as well. It can't be much longer for Ghost or Superstar. And I think it's time to close up Memphis, too.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Rainbowhigh23
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 3:29pm

Was everyone at Patti's show at 54 Below instead of Evita?

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 3:38pm

Ricky Martin's absences are probably a factor for Evita.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 3:40pm

The shows that were already doing well (Once, Newsies) got staying power -- thier advance likely went up for the entire summer, guaranteeinng MANY more sell outs and at full price.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 3:44pm

and I think it'll only be a matter of time before Once starts to gross $1 million a week with their price increases/no discounts.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

dramamama611
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 3:52pm

Venus in Fur likely got a boost since it was closing week. Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
(Althought Nina was adorable.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 4:09pm

Yea ACL i completly agree, I thought last week would be the last week till fall/xmas that Newsies would out gross Once, especially with Once's new pricing, but I guess that since its discounts are still in effect till next week, I guess thats when it will start outgrossing Newsies...
Great numbers for Peter and One Man, maybe they wont see a post tony bump, but if it helps them to sustain their current grosses that would be great.
I wonder how much more Porgy would of made is Bess didnt miss performances last week, and at this rate they wont extend again.
Amazing numbers for Venus in Fur, i guess saying your first crush was Captain von Trapp really helps bost tickets sales, even with the final week of performances.
End of the Rainbow...ouch I think I know the show is cheap, but probably not that cheap, but hopefully they got a lot more advance sales after the Tonys rather than this week sales.
Ghost and JCSS should be posting any day now....and Disney should be annoucing Newsies recoupment as well any day now....

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 6:04pm

If Ricky Martin has been absent, does this mean that Max von Essen has filled in as "Che"? I would luv to go see "Evita" again, but with Christina as "Eva" and Max as "Che"? Does anyone have specific dates where this might happen? from Roman in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 6:07pm

Yes, Max has been on as Che. Ricky will be out from July 2 - 8 and August 6 - 11. He was out at least a couple of performances this week but that was unplanned.

I don't know what the story is and if he will be back this week.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 6:16pm

Looks like that Tony opening scared some people away from BOM..nice numbers for some of the nominated shows but I laughed that Spiderman had a big jump without any Tony exposure..

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 6:22pm

THE BOOK OF MORMON was completely sold out; every single seat they offered was sold..as it has been for a very long time now. The Tony opening didn't scare anyone away.

The ODC grosses were confounded with it being the last week of performances, so it is difficult to make claims about the effect of the Tony Awards.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/18/12 at 06:22 PM

dramamama611
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 6:23pm

Mormon was at capacity...incl. standing room. It simply looks like fewer tickets were sold as premiums.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 6:34pm

Such a shame for Ghost

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 6:35pm

Happy for Newsies but wish that GHOST was doing better... Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12

Jonwo
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 7:20pm

The slight dip in sales is likely due to less premium seats being solds and TBH the $477 are probably the hardest to sell.

Newsies finally cracked $1m again, I imagine with summer holidays, it'll doing $1m on a regular basis.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 7:36pm

Even if NEWSIES is close to recouping, which it most likely is not, we will never know, DISNEY don't ususlly post that untill way later when they say "oh, it recouped a while ago"
But their numbers are impressive.
The GHOST producers must be sratching their heads:
"I thought we had a sure thing"?

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 7:37pm

Spiderman is still doing well.

Jonwo
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 7:44pm

Think Mary Poppins announced its recoupment when they announced the National Tour, I imagine the same will occur when Newsies announces its National tour.

The producers of Ghost should have waited another year before transferring to Broadway rather jump the gun. I wouldn't be surprised if it closes in September.

Bwayman2
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 7:49pm

Way to go Wicked, again grossing the highest for this week at almost $2M!

jdrye222 Profile Photo
jdrye222
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 7:54pm

I think PORGY got a little boost, even though it doesn't really look that way... Audra was out for 4 or 5 shows. And I'm told a LOT of people returned their tickets. So to be at $655K for her to be out all week, I think they'll be doing pretty well once she's back in more regularly. I wouldn't be surprised if they play out through January, unless a fall show really vies for that theater.

Bwayman2
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 7:58pm

I agree with dramamama,Venus in Fur probably shot up on account of closing week.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 8:02pm

"Way to go Wicked, again grossing the highest for this week at almost $2M!"

Says the person who wondered if it was closing. You got smarts, don't ya

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/17/12
Posted: 6/18/12 at 8:03pm

The use of the term "recoupment" in connection with a Disney show is meaningless. Because they are not structured like other shows, there is no way to know what is, and is not, included in their accounting. How much DTP overhead is included? What charges are made against the show and transferred to other Disney entities? We have no idea, nor does anyone other than their accounting department.

Videos