pixeltracker

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'- Page 3

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#50JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 1:56am

Just sucks we won't get another JCS for awhile. I love the show, but this production was just awful. Just cheap and tacky. Why would I pay $120 for something I could have seen at a regional theater for far less? Stupid. Why don't shows have varying ticket prices?

It's stupid to think a show like Venus in Fur with 2 people and 1 set should charge the same ticket price as Lion King.

#51JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 4:21am

That horrid Vegas lounge act performance on the Tony's drove the final nail in.

It was so uninspired and horrible vocals and choreo.

ridiculous.

The show needed a rock edge and a sexy up to date edge- which it didn't have, at all.

landlocked_mermaid Profile Photo
landlocked_mermaid
#52JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 7:56am

I really liked what I saw of the show on the Tonys. This is disappointing news.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#53JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 8:08am

I just want to burn that blue abomination that Josh Young has to wear every night. Ugliest costume ever.

....but the world goes 'round

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#54JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 8:08am

This makes me very sad JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'

I saw it Tony Sunday and was blown away... especially by Josh Young.

PLEASE go see it!!! You won't regret it.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

phantomcrazy14 Profile Photo
phantomcrazy14
#55JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 9:21am

Man, I'm really sad about this. My boyfriend has never been to New York or seen a show and I asked to take him last month. But since my parents don't accept the whole gay thing I got a no. I was still hopeful I could take him to see it. JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#56JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 9:29am

"PLEASE go see it!!! You won't regret it."

Actually, you might regret it. I certainly did - it was a boring, pointless waste of 2+ hours.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#57JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 9:30am

I finally saw this production last week (Jeremy Kushnier was on as Judas -- the main reason I went) and I had a great time. I didn't love it, but it was a perfectly entertaining evening for me.

That said, I wish them well, but I absolutely hate their ridiculously guilt-tripping tone. BUY NOW OR ELSE!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#58JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 10:11am

I still wish they would record the cd of the show.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#59JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 10:34am

I actually really loved it. (Chilina's performance was the only one I was disappointed in-and it had more to do with the singing than the acting, actually.) I loved Paul Nolan. (I saw Josh Young's understudy-don't have playbill handy, but it wasn't Jeremy Kushiner, who I'd actually like to see.)

TheGirlUpstairs Profile Photo
TheGirlUpstairs
#60JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 10:55am

I really enjoyed this show (though I would have redone the choreography), but the desperate, guilt-tripping tone of this press release leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. It almost makes me want to root for the show to close out of spite.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#61JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 11:00am

I am not a fan of the show -- but any chance they had of me POSSIBLY seeing it, was dashed by that Tony performace. I actually sat here with my jaw dropped open.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#62JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 11:03am

I couldn't watch it all the way through, and I tried a few times.

That said, I couldn't NOT watch Jeremy Kushnier as he blasted the hell out of that song.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#63JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 11:16am

I agree that the Tony performance turned me away from buying a ticket. Same with Godspell. The choreography from that number alone was horrific. It looked like someone put it together in five minutes and could be learned in five minutes.

And with Godspell, I could wait for a high school production to open and pay $10. That's what it looked like on television.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#64JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 11:18am

I've seen better Godspells in high schools and community theatres than this revival - mind-numbingly saccharine and "cute."

#65JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 11:55am

1) Both Godspell and JC Superstar were on TKTS last week.

2) Although both shows have a religious theme they are NOTHING alike. It's like saying Book of Mormon is exactly like Fiddler because both of them are about religion.

Rainbowhigh23
#66JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 12:06pm

I enjoyed JCS when I saw it two months ago. The LCD banner was a bit strange but the singing and Jeremy Kushnier as Judas were phenomenal. That Tony performance, though, was awful! It would have turned me away from seeing the show if that's all I had to judge it by. They really should have had the full company onstage for a performance of Simon Zealotes as that tore the roof off the night I saw it.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#67JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 12:49pm

The only shows I know of that the "unless Business improves" mantra worked are:

Rent extending through the summer rather than closing come June
Ragtime Revival getting an extra week extension
Finnian's Rainbow lasting halfway through January rather than closing in December with Ragtime
Finnians and Ragtime only tried to held on because which ever one lasted would of likly won the Tony come June...and Fiannian's was in way too large a theater and was going to transfer to the Neil Simon, but the money their invested was arrested in canada.

Updated On: 6/20/12 at 12:49 PM

PattiLover Profile Photo
PattiLover
#68JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 12:55pm

Worst marketing campaign ever! Like it's the general public's fault nobody wants to see it?

Those Christians, always making you feel guilty.

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#69JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 1:05pm

"2) Although both shows have a religious theme they are NOTHING alike. "

I completely disagree here. I lump these shows together because they are from the same era, despite differing in tone and story. They are both rock shows and at the time were newish for Broadway. Both had pop-success and films versions. Both were phenomena at time and about Jesus. I have a feeling audiences familiar with them probably lump them together too. I still can't understand why producers would mount dueling productions.

"It's like saying Book of Mormon is exactly like Fiddler because both of them are about religion."

I don't think this is analogous.

labwyfan Profile Photo
labwyfan
#70JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 1:17pm

I agree, finebydesign.

As a tourist coming in to see shows, I would choose to see one or the other in order to better use my time to see other shows as well. In fact, this did happen on a recent trip!

Unless one received raves above the other, it would go down like this on the TKTS line: either Godspell or JCS would be fine. I think that can be said about groups "of a certain age" that were coming into the city and only had a specific time to see shows.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#71JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 1:18pm

I liked this production a lot. Sad to see it go.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#72JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 1:25pm

i agree with Finebydesign Godspell and JCSS are often lumped together despite their separate takes on the sameish source material...Godspell is very happy go-lucky, while Superstar is much darker in tone. They both opened in New York the same year 1971, though Godspell was off-broadway and Superstar was on Broadway...Godspell ran for almost 6 yrs off-Broadway. They are not like Mormon, Sister Act, Leap of Faith, Fiddler on the Roof, and insert every other religious themed show, because their source material is actually the source of the religion, rather than an offshoot about people finding their faith. If there were a Torah or Quran the musical, it would be a different story. Though both productions were not the best, which definitely contributes to their lack of business the fact that they are essentially the same plot didn't help either. For example my mother wanted to see Godspell in November, as she grew up in the Jews for Jesus era, but then when I told her Superstar was being revived in the Spring she wanted to see it instead, because ALW score for it was on her iPod...
Their similarities are as follows:

Both Use Bible as source Material
Both were experimental when they first opened
Both put their composers on the map
Both spawned instant pop classics
Both changed the way people viewed the church
Both use a rock score
Both opened in New York in 1971
The list goes on...

Updated On: 6/20/12 at 01:25 PM

landlocked_mermaid Profile Photo
landlocked_mermaid
#73JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 2:21pm

Well said, bdn223.

From what I have seen, people either hate or love this production of JCS. I am in the latter category.

Not sure how I feel about the "buy tickets or else" issue. I don't really see it as a threat, just a statement of the situation intended to get anyone on the fence about seeing it to actually buy tickets and go before it closes. It may boost sales for performances prior to July 1st; that remains to be seen. I'm sure they will sell some tix to performances after that date, but I doubt it will be enough to make a difference.

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#74JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
Posted: 6/20/12 at 2:27pm

Now that word has gotten out that the show will close on July 1st, who's going to buy tickets past that date anyway? Why even bother?

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek