pixeltracker

TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast

TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast

Lefou Profile Photo
Lefou
#2TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 1:33pm

What a clever (albeit too long) way of introducing the cast.

rjm516
#2TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 1:36pm

Pretty good cast!

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#3TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 1:37pm

I like this casting a lot.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#4TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 1:38pm

Will it open early? I wish!

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#5TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 1:44pm

OH MY GOD I AM SO EXCITED. This cast looks incredible.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#6TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 2:18pm

This cast is AWESOME. I don't know much about the show but I'll definitely be seeing it now.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#7TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 2:24pm

Boy does that look good.

beautywickedlover
#8TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 2:47pm

I am glad that Stephanie J. Block has another project after 'Anything Goes'. I am also a fan of Andy Karl's.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#9TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 2:49pm

This is some pretty great casting. Love the idea of Jessie Mueller as Helena.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

bobs3
#10TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 2:50pm

So happy they are using the original title -- I was not happy when they shortened the original title to "Drood".

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#11TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 3:12pm

So glad the Joel Grey Chairman rumors proved false.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#12TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 3:18pm

I think most people feel that way--when it is produced regionally I think it usually goes by the full title.

AEA AGMA SM
#13TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 3:23pm

I guess this means they will either be recasting or putting the very much hoped for transfer of Into the Woods on hold until later in the season (or, to be really pessimistic, it won't actually happen)

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#14TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 4:56pm

This is promising, for sure.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#15TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 5:18pm

What're the odds we can find a reason for Andy Karl to be shirtless in the show?

...What? I'm just ASKING.

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#16TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 5:32pm

Eh, a bit disappointed. With the casting of Chita, I thought it would be a more diverse cast. And besides that, there aren't any character actors compared to the original cast. Looks like another pretty, white cast to me.

This is Harvard, not a stripper bar...

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#17TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 5:36pm

Lots of Anything Goes crossovers.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

#18TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 6:33pm

Andy Karl as Neville? The Indian suspect?
Very white indeed

Ah the broadway mafia ......

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#19TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 7:24pm

I think Andy Karl's cool, natural, Polish good looks make him an obvious fit for a character who is written as being Sri Lankan. N'est pas?

Updated On: 6/28/12 at 07:24 PM

Miranda3
#20TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 7:27pm

Does anyone else remember Jana Schneider, Helena Landless in the OBC? She was just wonderful in that role--from Wisconsin, I think, but she gave that role an exotic spiciness and her voice was lovely. She went on to be a war photographer/correspondent and fell on hard times. But she was fabulous in that role and I believe was nominated for a supporting Tony. I also loved Cleo Laine as Puffer in the OBC--her original background in the British music halls really suited that role, especially in "The Wages of Sin." She and George Rose were fab playing together.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#21TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 7:28pm

"Looks like another pretty, white cast to me."

Oh PLEASE shut the F up. Just so you know, there ARE in fact good "white" actors. Not every cast needs to have a set number of every ethnic minority in order to meet some quota. I'm so sick and tired of hearing this.

bwayfan7000
#22TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 7:35pm

As Rupert Holmes notes in the script, Neville and Helena Landless are supposed to be from Ceylon (modern day Sri Lanka) but do not need to actually be played by actors of that ethnicity. In the context of the show, Neville and Helena are played by Victor Grinstead and Janet Conover, who are members of the company of the Music Hall Royale and would have been, assumably, English themselves. That's not to say that they have to be white, but it doesn't mean that they have to look like they're actually from Ceylon. It's supposed to be a British acting troupe's representation of what they though the people of Ceylon were like (ie, the characterizations are typically pretty over-the-top), so Karl and Mueller are fine casting. It's really a great company as a whole, I think. My one curiosity is which version of the script they'll be using.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#23TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 7:40pm

So is the show performed with accents? Go ahead, mock me for not knowing. But then also please answer my question.

Updated On: 6/28/12 at 07:40 PM

bwayfan7000
#24TV: Roundabout Announces THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD Cast
Posted: 6/28/12 at 7:42pm

There are a handful of different accents and dialects in the show: British, Cockney, and then the Ceylon accent, which Helena refers to in the script as "geographically untraceable".

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Videos