pixeltracker

Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?

Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?

AuntieEm22
#1Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?
Posted: 7/6/12 at 10:53pm

I've decided to finally stop lurking here and ask a question.

My sister wants to come with me to see Into the Woods next month which means I can't stay with my friend in the Fordham dorms like I'd originally planned. Since I'll be coming in from PA, I need to know as soon as possible if I have to find a place to stay overnight in the city or not.

Of course no one will know until the run actually starts, but what time do you predict we should aim to get in line? If I were alone, I'd go as early as possible but I know she won't be thrilled about sitting for so long, not to mention that the travel time alone will prevent us from being as early as I'd probably go otherwise. What do you all think would be a comfortable time to get there--not obscenely early but still safe? It'll be a weekday in August.

Updated On: 7/6/12 at 10:53 PM

mar97
#2Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?
Posted: 7/6/12 at 11:01pm

Based on how well other musicals fared in the past and with this great cast and it being a Sondheim show I say the lines are going to be insane. I am sure there will be people who will camp out overnight along Central Park West and when they open the park in the morning the lines will start. Go early.

AuntieEm22
#2Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?
Posted: 7/6/12 at 11:34pm

If we got into Penn Station at 7:10 and then took the subway up to 81st Street, do you think we'd be too late? I'm too not concerned about getting the absolute greatest seats, just with getting in at all. Or with a show like this, does it seem like camping out will be necessary?

Owen22
#3Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?
Posted: 7/7/12 at 7:53am

Possibly (and I am saying possibly) if you go within the first few days of the run arriving at the park by 8am MIGHT score you a couple tickets. But once word of mouth (good or bad) gets around and people realize "Into the Woods" is happening NOW, lines will start to form the evening before...

lightguy06222
#4Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?
Posted: 7/7/12 at 11:16am

The Delacorte seats around 1800...

Curious to know...

how many seats at any particular performance are pre-purchased by subscribers/donations, etc?

How many tickets are given out on line?

How many tickets are given through virtual lottery?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#5Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?
Posted: 7/7/12 at 12:20pm

I was to,d that they kind of shift the tickets around as needed. I was also to,d that they cut the subscriptions off at a certain point and for this it will be soon. I think the most go to those who wait in line. I also heard that people actually hide in the park and wait for the line to be let in the park to jump inline.

Just give the world Love.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#6Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?
Posted: 7/7/12 at 12:29pm

The Delacorte seats 1880.

There are a maximum amount of donor seats per performance. I am not sure what the number is, but many dates are already maxed. It varies from performance to performance. Corporate donors, such as Bank of America, can receive a large block of tickets, sometimes getting a whole section.

Tickets given out really do vary daily. It depends on any number of factors: the size of the line, donors, corporate donors, staff/cast tickets, press, etc.

For this show... I would say arriving there around 8 would not net you tickets. This will be a show that you may need to spend the night in line to be guaranteed.

HOWEVER
There is a standby line that forms in the mid-afternoon. Unclaimed tickets start being given out to the standby after 7 and will continue to be given out until 8 as tickets get released.
For As You Like It, people started lining up at the beginning of the run at around 6ish. Toward the end, they were lining up at 4. Most of the time, everyone got in.

It is impossible to tell you when you should line up at this point. But there is a considerable, considerable amount of buzz for the show. It'll probably be a Hair-like situation.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

AEA AGMA SM
#7Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?
Posted: 7/7/12 at 2:47pm

I've found that you have the best chances in the stand-by line on the evenings where there is a threat of rain. The weather has to be fairly severe for the show to be cancelled, but you'll find a number of people who don't show back up when they think it is going to rain, or has been raining on and off during the day, because they just assume that the show will be/has already been cancelled.

michellek45
#8Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?
Posted: 7/12/12 at 8:42pm

Does anyone have advice for doing this who has waited for other shows before? My friend is only here for one day (the opening day), and we really want to get tickets. How early have people gotten to the park in the past for something else that's got as much buzz as this?

DebraR
#9Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?
Posted: 7/12/12 at 8:52pm

Has anyone tried the virtual ticket lottery to get tickets? Wonder how successful you have been and how many times you entered before winning.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#10Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?
Posted: 7/12/12 at 8:57pm

Odds are pretty low for the virtual line. That really only works for those that can enter a lot...they live in the city or can get in pretty quickly...and they can try many days.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#11Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?
Posted: 7/12/12 at 11:57pm

Prediction:
1) first weekend 6:30 (maybe 7?) will be safe
2) second weekend 5:00 will be safe
3) every weekend thereafter: well, what do you have going on the night before?

...mark these words!

DebraR
#12Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?
Posted: 7/13/12 at 12:07am

Is it only on weekend?

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#13Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?
Posted: 7/13/12 at 9:02am

No but those are the most difficult seats to get as people - obvi - have the day off and can get in line.

Doesn't mean weekday tickets will be easy to get.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#14Into the Woods Ticket Line Prediction?
Posted: 7/13/12 at 10:31am

It certainly doesn't hurt to do the virtual lottery every day! I got lucky for the first performance of As You Like It, but of course there will probably be higher demand for Into the Woods.

Videos