Jeremy Jordan in "Newsies"

tnicewarne Profile Photo
tnicewarne
#1Jeremy Jordan in "Newsies"
Posted: 7/16/12 at 11:14am

Hi all ~

I'm FINALLY coming to NYC next week to see "Newsies" and was wondering about JJ's matinee performance schedule. Does he (still) do Wednesday matinees? I'd read that since signing on for season 2 of "SMASH" he might have to free up his days for filming. Has that occurred yet? Anyone know?

Thanks, in advance, for your replies.

Tim

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#2Jeremy Jordan in
Posted: 7/16/12 at 1:19pm

Yes, he is still performing Wednesday matinees. He has only missed one performance due to being sick.

hanabana
#2Jeremy Jordan in "Newsies"
Posted: 7/18/12 at 12:50am

I've been wondering the same thing! But I'm thinking about catching a Sunday matinee sometime soon. Does anyone know if Jeremy Jordan performs on Sundays? Not sure if there's anything out there for an alternate schedule for his role. Thanks everyone! Oh and, Tim, I hope you enjoy the show!

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#3Jeremy Jordan in
Posted: 7/18/12 at 12:54am

Yes, he performs on Sundays too. There is no alternate (yet).

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4Jeremy Jordan in
Posted: 7/18/12 at 6:46am

He has an excellent attendance record, thus far. There aren't too many roles that have a permanent alternate. Currently, I believe there are only two on b'way: Bess and Evita.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

tphiliboy152
#5Jeremy Jordan in
Posted: 7/18/12 at 7:34am

^ There are also Christine and Carlotta alternates in Phantom!

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#6Jeremy Jordan in
Posted: 7/18/12 at 8:03am

Since when has there been an alternate for Carlotta? I know about the Christine one, but I'd never heard anything about one for Carlotta.

dramamama611
#7Jeremy Jordan in
Posted: 7/18/12 at 8:29am

Oops.....I am not a fan of Phantom and suppose I just block its existence out of my mind.

(But I hadn't heard there was one for Carlotta, either!)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 7/18/12 at 08:29 AM

Sugar78
#8Jeremy Jordan in
Posted: 7/18/12 at 8:54am

If anyone is planning to go to the show in September, JJ's website says he's going to be out from Sept. 6-16 for his wedding.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#9Jeremy Jordan in
Posted: 7/18/12 at 10:13am

I have a friend in the cast who is Jordan's understudy...he told me in May if Jordan won the Tony he would definitly get an alternate, and he was in contract negotiations for one regardless, not sure how it panned out. He is killing himself and more specifically his voice in the role, doing it all in a throaty thick New York accent. Although he only dances in thef finale (he does do small things here and there, but Davy is the "lead" in all the dance numbers, except Kathrine's King of New York) it is an extremly physicsl role, running up and down the giant erector set during all the chase scenes.

tphiliboy152
#10Jeremy Jordan in
Posted: 7/18/12 at 10:20am

When I saw POTO in 2010 we had the Carlotta alternate on and it was billed in the playbill. Maybe there isnt one anymore

dramamama611
#11Jeremy Jordan in
Posted: 7/18/12 at 10:28am

What does winning the Tony have to do with a need for an alternate? I'm not questioning whether or not their IS a need for one, only the determining factor. I could see vocal strain for this character...but truly, they all race up and down those stairs.

Yet another example of composers writing to be impressive and not taking the human instrument into consideration when composing. A shame, in my opinion.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#12Jeremy Jordan in
Posted: 7/18/12 at 11:43am

If running up and down the steps and singing are "killing" him, he should quit show biz, his show is not that hard.

DamaMama, maybe it's like Olivo's contract, hers said if she won the TONY she didn't have to show up at all.

It will be interesting to see if DISNEY gives him an alternate, (have they ever done this before?)
As far as a 10 day vacay to get married, in my day you grabbed your girl, got on the 1 train to City Hall and got hitched between the Wed Matinne and Evening shows!

tamra2
#13Jeremy Jordan in
Posted: 7/18/12 at 12:02pm

Since the show was only supposed to be a limited run I am sure he had no problem getting the 10 day vacation worked into is contract, i say take as muc time as you can get... you only (hopefully) get married once and should be able to enjoy it. :)

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#14Jeremy Jordan in
Posted: 7/18/12 at 1:18pm

Now that he's a regular on SMASH, he may not get even 10 days off, that was planned pre-SMASH.

Some people only get a lead in a BWay show once and you may as well enjoy that too.
(tamara2, you do know the divorce rate in Show biz, right?)

I wish him luck and happiness, maybe he'll beat the odds.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#15Jeremy Jordan in Newises
Posted: 7/18/12 at 1:26pm

Apparently he is being replaced while filming for Smash from a recent Carnegie Mellon grad. Not 100% sure, but have heard it from a few people.

They are also in the process of casting a Jack standby, which may or may not have a set show or two a week.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#16Jeremy Jordan in Newises
Posted: 7/18/12 at 1:29pm

Re: Carlotta, I just went to the Playbill website and looked in the current playbill for the show. As odd as it seems, it's not Carlotta who's listed as having the standby-it's Madame Giry. (or rather, about three or four women alternate in that role. I have no clue as to why.)

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#17Jeremy Jordan in Newises
Posted: 7/18/12 at 3:03pm

Does this mean he is out for this Saturday matinee? (because of smash?)

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

rjm516
#18Jeremy Jordan in Newises
Posted: 7/18/12 at 3:07pm

Who is he marrying if not me!

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#19Jeremy Jordan in Newises
Posted: 7/18/12 at 3:16pm

I would really appreciate it if anyone could shed some light about his Saturday matinee attendance.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#20Jeremy Jordan in Newises
Posted: 7/18/12 at 3:16pm

Ashley Spencer

She was most recently in Priscilla as one of the Divas. She was also a contestant in the "Grease You're The One That I Want"

rjm516
#21Jeremy Jordan in Newises
Posted: 7/18/12 at 3:21pm

Oh wow. Happy for him!

And emo, everyone has already said that there's no alternate yet and he has a fantastic track record.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#22Jeremy Jordan in Newises
Posted: 7/18/12 at 3:28pm

Thank you for your response rjm516. That is what I figured, however, right after reading the thread I saw that Megan Hilty posted a photo from the set of Smash and I got worried.

jenniferlyn
#23Jeremy Jordan in Newises
Posted: 7/22/12 at 5:43pm

Smash only films Monday-Friday so Jeremy should be in every weekend (with the exception of September 5-16 since he's getting married). NEWSIES is in the process of hiring a standby for Jack Kelly while Jeremy is filming Smash since he will be missing some shows due to filming.

Jennifer

jeremy-jordan.com Updated On: 7/30/12 at 05:43 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#24Jeremy Jordan in Newises
Posted: 7/22/12 at 5:48pm

WAIT! So if you win the Tony, you get an alternate? Shouldn't winning the Tony give you MORE of a responsibility to play all 8 performances since people are likely coming to see your "Tony Winning Performance?"

Paging Mr. Jordan to watch CAROL CHANNING: LARGER THAN LIFE. Not to mention Audra McDonald.

Videos