pixeltracker

The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion- Page 30

The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#725The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 12:32am

"You're so pure..." is out, "You're so nice..." is in.

She still takes the baby, but doesn't sing to it. She references the child during that section, replacing "like his son will be.." with "like you will be..." and again with "You'll just do what they do", making it "You'll just do what they do".

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Sondheimtime Profile Photo
Sondheimtime
#726The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 1:10am

^^ That is correct...

I felt her singing to the baby was appropriate and with the lyrics mentioned above.

The final verse of the song does infanct end with the original lyrics "Alright, Mother when..." with "Mother, here I come!" as the last words as opposed to "Crunch!" obviously it makes sense...blending the two versions works.

I won the lotto today, very happy to have had the chance to go.

This production is fresh and wonderful. Really solid. Loved the smaller changes, which I won't mention as they are spoilers. Definitely kept the show fresh

I'm certainly an O'Hare fan...but not in this. Asidedr the fact that he looks entirely too old opposite Adams....his delivery was flat and boring. Did not enjoy him at all, sorry to say.

Adams interpretation of her character, especially while singing was quite lovely. Moments in the woods was wonderful--I began to see her spark. The other aspects of her performance I was mixed about.

It does not help that her baker Husband is not giving her much to work with. Not much chemistry there.

Loved the set, costumes, etc. effects were inventive and fun.

The child narrator and the whole concept of this woven into the story was brilliant!! Gave the show a new meaning and life to it.

Well done.

Updated On: 8/3/12 at 01:10 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#727The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 1:14am

Wow. This is like my dream. Those are some of my favorite Sondheim lyrics. I hope they stick with it.

Laurelei Profile Photo
Laurelei
#728The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 8:16am

^^
Completely agree! Those lyrics just sum up the character of the Witch, I hated to think they had changed them!

"There's a Sondheim song for that."

Laurelei Profile Photo
Laurelei
#729The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 8:17am

Any idea when this transfer is to take place? That is indeed awesome news.

"There's a Sondheim song for that."

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#730The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 9:52am

Thats super exciting about the transfer! Will the whole cast (except for Jessie M. transfer with it?)

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#731The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 10:49am

I saw it last night and generally liked it. Donna was the clear standout for me, and "Last Midnight" was so awesome. They should just let her do a one woman cabaret act on that set in her green dress. She was so beautiful and enchanting. Another superb performance out of her.

The other really strong performance was from Sarah Stiles. I like the new direction she took Little Red. Jessie Mueller has a lovely, lovely voice, but I found her acting a little on the bland side. It didn't help that her costumes were hideous and I couldn't help thinking how much I hated them when she was on stage.

I know people have been disappointed with O'Hare, but I didn't mind him. I thought his acting was excellent actually, but his singing was what left a little to be desired. I agree with someone above that he had little chemistry with Adams. She herself was fine, and "Moments in the Woods" was her best, well, moment, but she didn't command the stage like I thought she might.

I liked the child narrator spin for the most part. It's nice to see a different take, whether or not it's 100% successful.

There was one aspect I really hated though: the costumes. Other than Donna's I thought they were all different shades of awful and ugly. The set was so lush and pretty and the costumes were a real eye sore. I mean that boy couldn't even dream up a pretty dress for Cinderella? Red didn't even have a cape (it is a cape as red as blood, not a jacket as red as blood). The Step-Mother and Sisters looked like Effie Trinket knock-offs, and the princes could have been Cinna. If it does transfer I'd love to this creative aspect reworked.

Otherwise it was great to hear this score and book again that I so dearly love. Like many here I grew up obsessed with the OBCR and my VHS copy of the taping. I wanted to be Joanna Gleason SO badly, ha! I would practice saying things like, "I need your shoes," and "I pulled it from a maiden in a tower" all time.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#732The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 10:58am

******POSSIBLE SPOILERS************

I saw the show on Monday, and it was first exposure to Into the Woods in any way. I found it a bit confusing. For instance, what is the narrator's role? In act 1 he seems to be observing the events and maybe even commenting on them. Then, in act 2, he is asleep, and I'm assuming he's dreaming. So if act 1 comes from his imagination and act 2 from his dream (nightmare), are we to assume he conjured up the wolf's pretty explicit attack on Little Red?

Also, why did he run away from home? I guess I missed that. In general, I'm not really clear on what the show is saying about parenting. Some examples of mothering and fathering seem to be disastrous. Thanks to anyone who can do some 'splaining to this theater newbie.

broadwayguy2
#733The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 11:07am

mac,
Your questions have NOTHING to do with Into the Woods and everything with an awful concept forced upon the show by a "smart" director.
Generally, the Narrator is an adult man who also plays the Mysterious Man. There is NO prologue about a kid running away, no child with toys, no nightmare, no nothing. The Narrator strictly tells the story, in act one AND in Act two, then the characters, looking for a sacrifice for the Giant, pull him into the story and feed him to the Giant.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#734The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 11:23am

As far as I know, the lyrics to Last Midnight will remain "You're so nice..." and, after today, the show will be frozen.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Owen22
#735The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 2:24pm

SPOILERS

Dear Mac. I happen to love this concept (though I've only see the Regents Park version) and the boy has run away from home because his mother has passed away and he's angry and confused and probably at odds with his father because he is too young to process this easily (though when is it ever easy to process the death of a parent?).

In Regents Park this was made clear as when he is narrating the first act he is very angry at the Baker's Wife when he refers to her. I don't know if the young narrator still does that in this version, without it I might have been confused as well.

And with regards to your first respondent: god save us from purists with no imagination.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#736The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 2:33pm

Are they still performing the extended version of "Children Will Listen?"

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#737The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 2:38pm

Yes, they are. As of last night, they brought in the chorus to sing a line of the "What do you say to a child..." section, which was previously a solo for the Witch. It was strange, not sure if it's being kept that way.

TheLadyoftheWood Profile Photo
TheLadyoftheWood
#738The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 2:49pm

Have they added Our Little World in or has it at least been taken out of the program?

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#739The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 2:52pm

^ It was listed still on Wednesday night and not done.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#740The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 3:04pm

I'm dying for some more production photos.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#741The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 3:29pm

The inclusion of "Our Little World" is an error. It was never even rehearsed for this production.

TheLadyoftheWood Profile Photo
TheLadyoftheWood
#742The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 5:41pm

If it was an error you would think someone would notice it and have it taken out maybe?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#743The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 5:54pm

They'd then have to pay for a reprint.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#744The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 5:55pm

Easier said than done. For a relatively minor error, a whole month's worth of printed Playbills need to be re-done. .

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#745The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 5:55pm

^And spend money reprinting all the programs? I don't think so.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#746The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 6:27pm

I finally got to listen to the Donna Murphy Ad-Lib audio from the other night. HYSTERICAL!

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#747The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 6:56pm

As of last night, they brought in the chorus to sing a line of the "What do you say to a child..." section, which was previously a solo for the Witch.

That's odd. I hope they keep it as a solo for the Witch.

nasty_khakis
#748The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 6:57pm

What was the adlib? I've heard some recent audios but don't recall an adlib.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#749The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 8/3/12 at 7:44pm

She was climbing her hair and the rigging system got stuck or something. She went a little to far and it sounds like she is climaxing.
Audio Clip

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-