R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#75R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 5:22pm

egghumor---it seems you're not accepting PMs, so I can't respond!

Pammylicious---thanks for posting that. It actually brought a tear to my eye. I know Barbra was very close to him, and I'm sorry for her personal loss as well as all of us who loved his music.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#76R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 6:13pm

sorry about that! I've corrected.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#77R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 6:55pm

""Composer and conductor Marvin Hamlisch, best known for the torch song "The Way We Were," died Monday. He was 68 years old."

I would beg to differ. I think in the 1970s, "What I Did For Love" was just as well known as TWWW. "

Nobody Does it Better was pretty massive, as well, wasn't it? (And it was the first Bond theme not to be titled after the movie, even if it does include the line The Spy Who Loved Me). I admit, it's a childhood fave of mine...

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#78R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 7:13pm

We will never see anything close to his genius in our lifetime. RIP Marvin and thanks for everything!!

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#79R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 7:22pm

I just saw A Chorus Line about two weeks ago for the first time! This is so sad, I wonder how the cast/crew of the current production touring Australia (based on the Broadway revival) will feel waking up to the news/performing the show today, the next performance is in about 4 hours and it's a two-show day today.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 8/7/12 at 07:22 PM

EricMontreal22
#80R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 7:30pm

What di? I admit, until I saw the tour of the Broadway revival a few years back, I really didn't quite understand just how completely brilliant A Chorus Line is (I'd seen so so amateur productions and of course that film...)

random person 112
#81R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:54pm

I'm surprised no one has posted Idina's statement here especially considering most of you have mentioned seeing him perform with her recently. Something you can tell he truly enjoyed.
“Marvin was a friend and mentor, but often felt like a second father to me. To have shared the stage with such a legend has been some of the most rewarding moments in my career. Not only does he leave us with the most precious of melodies and music, but anyone who has ever shared an after-show drink with him can attest to his hysterical storytelling and deep love for his stunning wife, Terre. My heart is broken. He made me feel so special. I love him so much.”
- Idina Menzel

Updated On: 8/7/12 at 09:54 PM

donte7162004
#82R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:55pm

He was an amazing talent. Very sad. RIP Marvin Hamlisch.

blm2323
#83R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:24pm

Goodbye Girl was my first Broadway Show. Still love the obcr.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#84R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/8/12 at 12:43am

Very sad to hear, but was also very surprised to see that he was 68! I always thought that he was very much older!

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

TheCelebrityCafe
#85R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/8/12 at 3:23am

This news is truly a loss to the music industry. His various compositions over the years will never be forgotten. He was such a multi-talented individual.

To learn more about his works and accomplishments, read the article: http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2012/08/oscar-winning-composer-marvin-hamlisch-dies-age-68

WestCoastActor/Director Profile Photo
WestCoastActor/Director
#86R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/8/12 at 5:09am

and from Lucie Arnaz

Dear Friends!
I am just in pieces after hearing about Marvin. Dear, sweet, kind, generous, hilarious, tireless, brilliant, inspired, compassionate Marvin Hamlisch. My life was always happier and fuller when he was in it. (35 years, Marv!) I owe him so much. My arms are around Terre and his family.

There is some kind of gorgeous music in the heavens tonight.

Here's a little snippet of video from Robert Klein's and my last concert with Marvin on July 16, 2012 with the Pasadena Pops.

http://youtu.be/GdA5xrfTWCA

EricMontreal22
#87R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/8/12 at 5:35am

I forgot he scored The Swimmer--a great movie. I never got around to checking out Sweet Smell, and now feel I ought to... It's his only Broadway score I don't know (except for the Tony clip)

WestCoastActor/Director Profile Photo
WestCoastActor/Director
#88R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/8/12 at 5:36am

And from Liza-
Marvin Hamlisch and I have been best friends since I was 13 years old. He arranged my first album, my second album, the songs for Judy Garland & Liza Minnelli at the London Palladium and just about everything else.

He was one of the funniest people I knew. I will miss his talent, our laughter & friendship, but mostly I will miss Marvin. My heart is with his wife Terre always.

I have lost my first lifelong best friend, and sadly we have lost a splendid, splendid talent.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#89R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/8/12 at 6:04am

Shock and awwwwwww out here in Hollywood.

He left behind three lifetimes worth of great music.

I have "A Chorus Line" playing quietly in the office.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#90R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/8/12 at 9:19am

Sex and the City: The Way We Were

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#91R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/8/12 at 9:27am

If I had a dollar for every person that has said to me, "Oh yeah! He was in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days!"

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#92R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/8/12 at 6:25pm

Lights will dim tonight on the Broadway marquees at 8 pm. Someone if possible take a photo and post it here. TIA.

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#93R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/10/12 at 11:38am

http://playbill.com/news/article/168974-A-Remembrance-of-Marvin-Hamlisch-at-the-Birthplace-of-A-Chorus-Line

...and now I'm crying at work. What a beautiful tribute.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

KirbyCat
#94R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/10/12 at 12:35pm

Oh my goodness, that is beyond beautiful.
He really was a singular sensation. One candle is perfect.

hockeynut2
#95R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/10/12 at 2:37pm

Marvin mentored violinist Joshua Coyne and he and his Mom wrote this tribute on DC Metro Theater Arts.

ZiggyCringe
#96R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/10/12 at 11:48pm

Hey, are you all going?

I wasn't alive during the Judy Garland funeral.

But they are doing a Frank E. Campbell viewing of Marvin. Same deal as Judy, two days viewing, at Frank E. Campbell. Plus the funeral.

I know it's macabre. But I want to be there. "A Chorus Line" was the most important show in my life. It changed me.

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#97R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/11/12 at 2:09pm

Last night the San Diego Pops did a tribute to Hamlisch who has conducted and performed frequintly here.

I still remember crying my eyes out during the final scene of the movie Ice Castles and thinking to myself who could have written such an exquiste melody. Now, after last night, I feel the same way again.

How great to have such a legacy.

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#98R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/11/12 at 2:31pm

The link to the DC Metro article doesn't show up--at least on my computer--on Hockeynuts's post. It's a very interesting and moving piece, though, so I thought I'd post the link again.

A tribute to Marvin Hamlisch

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...
Updated On: 8/11/12 at 02:31 PM

Wildcard
#99R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/12/12 at 2:33am

At Liza Minnelli at the Bowl tonight, she mentioned Marvin many times. She apologized for not having an encore as she had to fly back for his service. She ended with an acapella rendition of "I'll Be Seeing You"