Jekyll & Hyde

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#250Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 10/1/12 at 6:18pm

I also saw the closed of "J&H" yesterday. It just needs a lot of work - very odd/interesting choices in terms of performances & direction. "Bring On The Men" is a showstopping number - but, not in this version. It's more of an after thought, and very oddly staged. CM is a very talented performer, and stopped the show with "This Is The Moment." His Hyde is very gothic and menancing.

Teal Wicks - very, very talented, just wrong for the part. She's not dainty & delicate enough. Cox as Lucy, very talented, just no direction at all, and no depth to her character. Yes, Lucy is a prostitute, but she's also naive in some ways. When she first arrives at Jekyll's house, she should be nervous & uneasy coming to a fine gentleman's home. There was nothing. Again, just bad direction.

I really liked how "Facade" was staged with the characters dressing up behind their facades of clothing and the mirrors separating the characters.

Like any Broadway bound show, I'm sure there will be LOTS of changes on the road before it gets to NYC in the spring.

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#251Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 10/1/12 at 8:01pm

I also saw the last show at La Mirada on Sunday and for me it was like seeing a whole new show so much better that what I saw at the dress rehearsal. It had so many problems which began with the very 1st scene of Jekyll's father strapped on one of the panels. The 1st time I saw it didn't even know it was supposed to be his father but they fixed that with additional lines being sung by Constantine.

There were many new projections that changed how scenes were presented. Although I loved the confrontation scene the 1st time I saw it there are now too many projections and that scene just didn't work as well as the first time I saw it.

I agree with James885:
The performances of the leads have improved.

There was definitly more contrast between Constantine's Jekyll and his Hyde and he was in better voice than he was the last time I saw it.

Ditto to this comment which as I told Constantine at Stage Door he's defined EVIL perfectly.

Deborah Cox's take on Lucy was more consistent; her voice still sounded a little breathy, but she really opened up during 'A New Life'

She was the most improved of anyone in the cast for me especially with her vocals being much stronger than what I heard over a month ago. Before she was MEH but I now think she'll get even stronger the more she performs the role

Teal Wicks continues to amaze me with her Emma. There was a minor snafu during the last scene when her dress got caught on something on the stage.

I still loved Teal but she toned down her singing with the others since I first saw it. It was very evident in "Take Me As I Am", her duet with Constantine which is even better now than when I heard it before. She's still fantastic; next to Constantine, Teal got the second loudest ovation at curtain call.

And that little snaffu was when Teal/Emma got her wedding dress caught on the edge of one of the center panels at the front of the stage for the wedding scene. She just turned around and pulled it off and headed to the center of the stage for the wedding ceremony.

Speaking of curtain call here are three photos that are at FB and hopefully you'll be able to see them.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=4504812185644&set=a.1280338535818.41579.1450691613&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=4489559764343&set=a.2913464122937.144276.1450691613&type=1&theater

nealb1 is spot on with these comments:

"Bring On The Men" is a showstopping number - but, not in this version. It's more of an after thought, and very oddly staged.

Yes it is, but that being said, it's 1000% better than where it started. When I saw it at the dress rehearsal it was a disaster especially with the spider web choreography design. The ensemble now has a much better grasp for Jeff Calhoun's choreography and there were no mistakes that I could see. Deborah Cox had a much better vocal interpretation than a month ago and this is one number that I'm sure they'll be constantly changing as it tours the country.

CM is a very talented performer, and stopped the show with "This Is The Moment." His Hyde is very gothic and menancing.

Ditto and as I said before his Hyde evil is now perfection.

At the dress rehearsal there were sound problems galore but those have been fixed and everyone could be heard perfectly.

"Murder, Murder" is still one of my favorite numbers in this version and the staging improved especially with the five murder victims at the end of the scene singing which was a LOL moment when I saw it but not now.

My favorite number is still "In His Eyes" and both Teal and Deborah were electrifying on Sunday afternoon--Applause! Applause!

Ensemble in this show are all excellent!!

The first time I saw it I'd give it 1 1/2 * out of ****. Now it's *** and as nealb1 said:
Like any Broadway bound show, I'm sure there will be LOTS of changes on the road before it gets to NYC in the spring.

Talking with Frank Wildhorn after the show I got a little scoop that the touring company of "Bonnie and Clyde" will debut in 2013 at the La Mirada Theatre :)

TheatrePeach
#252Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 10/1/12 at 10:56pm

This is my first post on this message board so please forgive me if it is long. I am a musical theatre fanatic who lives in Atlanta, GA. I come to New York several times a year to get my "Broadway fix" and have seen every major musical production in my city for the last 25 years. And I love Jekyll & Hyde. So when I heard about the "revisal" I was thrilled. And I came here seeking information and others' opinions and thoughts on all things J&H.

I saw Bob Cuccioli and Linda Eder several times in the original production and adored every second of every performance. And I've seen the show every time Broadway Across America brings it to Atlanta.

I am also a fan of Constantine Maroulis. After seeing him on American Idol I was thrilled that his career took him to Broadway. I didn't know then that he had a BFA from the Boston Conservatory or that he had been in musical theatre productions for years. But I wasn't surprised, because he is such an emotional performer and really knows how to interpret a lyric. I saw him as Judas in a regional presentation of Jesus Christ Superstar, as Sammy in the Wedding Singer on Broadway, in Jacques Brel off-Broadway (with Bob Cuccioli!) and as the lead, Drew in Rock of Ages on Broadway. He never disappointed....not me, not the critics and not his audiences.

So, when I heard he was tapped to play this dual role, I thought "what a fabulous choice." After hearing him on the concept album, I feel certain...he IS a FABULOUS choice. If he hasn't mastered the role yet, he will. He's got the stuff to be an endearing, tormented Henry Jekyll as well as a menacing, sexy Edward Hyde. He has tremendous stamina and seems to be able to handle the demanding rigors of big parts.

There is only one Bob Cuccioli and I think he is phenomenal. And it's always hard when one is compared to an original performer. But in my opinion...to bring J&H back to Broadway, it needed something new, something different, something edgier, something technically effective. I'm sure the Nederlanders and everyone involved in this production decided this version really needs to make money (which the original did not.) Why pick Constantine? Probably because he has charisma, can rock it out when needed, and is still a classic tenor who can put a different spin on both parts. If his history repeats itself, he'll be well-received by critics and audiences again.

I've enjoyed reading all your comments and look forward to hearing more from you all. I probably won't see J&H until it comes to Philly in late December, so I'm anxious to read more reviews from those of you who see it before I do.

P.S. I think Deborah Cox and Teal Wicks both sound great on the album. Deborah is not Linda Eder. But she is a seasoned Grammy winner who can deliver. Teal's voice seems very reminiscent of Christiane Noll. I look forward to seeing both women's interpretations of their roles. What a treat to have this show back on stage!

Jersey Girl2 Profile Photo
Jersey Girl2
#253Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 10/2/12 at 10:23pm

Welcome TheaterPeach.
I'll be in Philly too!
I wwill look forward to hearing what you think.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss."

MichelleDeparphraden Profile Photo
MichelleDeparphraden
#254Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 10/3/12 at 12:40pm

Got to see J&H in San Diego last night!!! It reached a whole new level!!! Huge theater, huge show... so powerful. Really impressed by how much Deborah and Constantine have taken ownership of the roles and improved on their already stellar performances.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#255Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 10/3/12 at 12:49pm

THREE MORE DAYS UNTIL I SEE IT!!! I am sooooo excited.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#256Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 10/3/12 at 1:18pm

bwayphreak-so jealous! I want to see that so much. Next spring cannot come soon enough!!!

bwayphreak234
#257Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 10/3/12 at 1:28pm

I have been listening to the concept recording nonstop since it came out. The score for Jekyll and Hyde is probably my favorite score ever, so I can't wait to hear it live! This will also be my first time seeing a Frank Wildhorn show live!

#258Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 10/7/12 at 11:29am

@Wicked Fanatic: I think something is weird; I was at the dress rehearsal and the second to last performance in La Mirada also, and I didn't notice any new projections. Literally zero.

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#259Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 10/7/12 at 1:47pm

@Wicked Fanatic: I think something is weird; I was at the dress rehearsal and the second to last performance in La Mirada also, and I didn't notice any new projections. Literally zero.

Wrong choice of words that I used that there were many new projections, but there were some in the confrontation scene because I don't remember the ending being as bombastic (flooded with projections) as it now is.

bwayphreak234
#260Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 10/7/12 at 6:42pm

The projections during the confrontation were cool, but a bit too much. The critics are going to have a field day with this scene if they don't tone down some of the projections. The fire was cool, but having the eyeballs pop out of nowhere was just weird. The sound for the confrontation was epic though.

#261Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 10/7/12 at 7:28pm

I said in the other thread too, I don't mind the "too much" of it all. And I agree the critics will have a field day, I guess, but ultimately who cares what they think? We all know of plenty of shows that did well after getting panned, and plenty of shows that closed after raves.

Jersey Girl2 Profile Photo
Jersey Girl2
#262Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 10/13/12 at 9:29am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xBRinkw7Ft4
Se estrenó en San Diego musical de Broadway Jekyll & Hyde

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss."

bwayphreak234
#263Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 11/15/12 at 2:46am

Here's a video of Deborah Cox singing A New Life on Breakfast Television Jekyll & Hyde
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/toronto/citynews/entertainment/video/235736--deborah-cox-performs-song-from-jekyll-hyde-musical-on-breakfast-television

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#264Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 11/15/12 at 3:14am

Wow she sounds great!

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#265Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 11/17/12 at 9:22am

Toronto reviews are so-so.

Toronto Star (1.5 out of 4 stars): Jekyll & Hyde misses the mark
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/review/article/1287919--late-review-jekyll-hyde

Globe and Mail (2 out of 4 stars): A Jekyll & Hyde for the comic-book set
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/theatre-and-performance/theatre-reviews/a-jekyll-hyde-for-the-comic-book-set/article5342539/

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

NOB88
#266Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 11/17/12 at 10:29am

Seems like once again the critics don't like it but audiences (mostly) love it. This is a blog I came across this morning:

"The singing was incredible!

Constantine Maroulis was amazing and what a voice! If there was one complaint it was every song he sang seemed to end on a long high note, but now I am being picky. He was so great switching between the good Dr Jekyll and evil Mr Hyde. When he was good, he was good and when he was evil, he was delightfully evil. I loved how he portrayed Jekyll struggling with the evil beast within him.

Deborah Cox also was great in her role and again what a voice! Her duets with Constantine were terrific. Their voices match so well. Teal Wicks was also excellent as Jekyll's fiancee.

The Toronto Star did a bad review on this play which made me wonder if they saw the same play we did. I really enjoyed the play and would recommend it. It is not a play I would see twice but am really glad that we got to see it.

This production is heading to Broadway in April where it should have a long run."

TheresaG Profile Photo
TheresaG
#267Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 11/18/12 at 5:44pm

Next stop for this tour is the Kennedy Center. The show opens in D.C. on Tuesday and will play through the Thanksgiving holiday week.

I'm curious if anyone has been to the Kennedy Center for a major holiday week. If so, are the crowds large like they are in NYC for the holiday week?

silent
#268Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 12/1/12 at 12:05pm

Broadway Dates:

Previews: April 5th, 2013

Opening: April 18th, 2013

Closing: August 24th, 2013

Performance Times:
Monday, Thursday and Friday at 8pm
Tuesday at 7pm
Saturday at 2pm & 8pm
Sunday at 2pm & 7pm

Beginning July 8th:
Monday, Thursday and Friday at 8pm
Tuesday at 7pm
Wednesday and Saturday at 2pm & 8pm

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#269Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 12/3/12 at 8:46am

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone else think Deborah Cox sounds almost exactly like Whitney Houston?

It's uncanny. Like, not just similar in inflection or style, but like it's Whitney herself. And it doesn't sound like a cheap imitation either. There's none of the typical marks of an amateur present and it sounds natural. Sometimes it sounds like Deb, but half the time it sounds distinctly like Whitney. Did Houston tutor her or something? I've been listening to the awfully mixed J&H album a lot lately, and part of the reason is because of how strikingly similar Cox's voice is to Whitney's. Intriguing.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#270Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 12/3/12 at 9:56am

Well, she proudly trumpets in her Playbill bio that she recorded a duet with Whitney called "Same Script, Different Cast." So there's that. (Personally, if I listened to the song, I'm reasonably sure I wouldn't be able to tell the two apart. You're right, the resemblance is uncanny.)

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Queen of the Night
#271Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 12/3/12 at 1:00pm

You know, I saw the show Saturday in Detroit, and Deborah Cox was singing "A new life", I found myself thinking, "she reminds me a little of Whitney Houston". She looks a little like her and has a similar sound quality and even similar vocal mannerisms. I thought she played the role quite well, despite having to dispel the memories of Linda Eder's performance. She belts like a pop singer instead of a theatre singer. So you get Lucy with a little pop/R&B flavor. But compared to some of the previous comments about her, I did not detect any problems with the range or tessitura of the role, nor with her accent.

Teal Wicks was very good as Emma, which is kind of a thankless ingenue role. Of course the one we went to see was Constantine. He got better as the performance went on, starting kind of slow and subdued as Jekyll but really beginning to open up in both roles after his first appearance as Hyde (Transformation scene/Alive). He does tend to overindulge in the habit of coming in on a lower note and then sliding up into the correct note and I do wish , for the sake of character contrast, that he would sing Jekyll in a more legit voice and then use the real rock voice for Hyde. His Hyde is actually quite stunning--sexy, amoral, and powerfully dominating. He was very affecting in the "No one must ever know" scene in the lab as Jekyll tearfully contemplates suicide. I think he is developing into a very good interpreter of this difficult part(s).

The production as a whole is quite decent, although certain scenes seemed flat, notably Jekyll and Emma's love duet "take me as I am" and sadly, "Bring on the men". The latter just didn't wow me. Possibly because with all the ribbons, representing a spider web or a more like a toppled maypole, onstage, it made it difficult for the actors to move much and the tempo for that song is now WAY too slow.

zamedy
#272Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 12/3/12 at 10:52pm

I thought the exact same thing about Deborah when I saw the show in Buffalo. A few bars into her first song ("Bring on the Men"), I turned to my boyfriend and said "she reminds me so much of Whitney." What a gift.

jekyllforever
#273Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 12/4/12 at 6:46am

I never once thought Deborah looked or sounded like Whitney Houston. I also don't think Bring On The Men is awkward. I expected it to be, after reading all this on the message boards. I thought it was delightful, and it makes sense when you see Constantine and his buddy doing a night on the town. Also, the comments on Deborah's breathiness... that's just her voice. She's not hoarse or losing her voice. I have one of her CDs and that's just how she sounds.

Then there was a comment about how she should have been nervous and scared when she first went to Jekyll's house. Maybe in the book that's how it is and maybe that's how others have played it, but who says Cox had to do it that way? My take on Cox's Lucy is that she's very confident. I figured that's how she was supposed to do this version.

So many comparisons to the other versions. I don't know why it has to be like it was before. I'm glad it's different. Cox is not Eder, and I'm glad she isn't trying to copy her because then she would be criticized for that. The comparisons have been very unfair. For some people, it doesn't matter what a good job Cox of CM do. They aren't the originals, so people won't give them a chance.

CM was just amazing. When he first came out as Hyde, with that sing-songy voice, it was chilling. He was brilliant as he built his characters. As Jekyll, he was kind of a lovable dork, walked with his head down a lot of times. As Hyde, he swaggered, he bullied. It was amazing to watch. He's a great actor. I always liked him, but I had no idea he was such a great actor! The singing was outstanding, too. How he does that night after night without losing his voice, I can't fathom. And talk about sexy! That scene in Lucy's bedroom, where he climbs on the table is hot. You could have heard a pin drop in the theater during that little scene. I don't remember ever thinking the originals were sexy.

silent
#274Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 12/5/12 at 12:53pm

Her vocal styling is similar to Whitney's but she sounds like a lighter version of Toni Braxton. While Braxton has been stuck trying to sound like a sex kitten for the last few years, Deb's voice has matured.

Videos