pixeltracker

Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout

Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#1Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 11/16/12 at 3:43pm

I love Alex Timbers' work, and the play, but this is very surprising for me. Doesn't seem like a good mix of director and material.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#2Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 11/16/12 at 3:59pm

iirc, Roundabout did a reading of this a year ago with Jon Hamm and John Krasinski.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#2Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 11/16/12 at 4:51pm

I was about to say, Kad, it looks like they picked the wrong director from Peter and the Starcatcher. The Philadelphia Story seems much better suited for Roger Rees.

Being Roundabout, this could go either way. I would love to know who they're looking at for Tracy Lord.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 11/16/12 at 5:09pm

I suppose Timbers is trying to show he can do something more conventional.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#4Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 11/16/12 at 5:35pm

He seems very excited about it. I have faith that he'll rise to the occasion--and the material!

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#5Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 11/16/12 at 11:19pm

Not to mention Hamm and Krasinski, but Scarlett Johansson as well in the Hepburn role.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

nasty_khakis
#6Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 11/16/12 at 11:32pm

Nina Arinda IS Tracy Lord.

Seriously, casting is supremely key. It needs to be perfect fit, not a "well, Mary Louise Parker or Katie Holmes might be cute" situation.

That being said there are many "gettable Roundabout names" that come to mind. I just hope they cast her younger and not in her 40s even if the idea of Debra Messing intrigued me years ago. Hepburn was 33 in the movie.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#7Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 11/17/12 at 1:46am

I was always wondering what happened with this. The reading cast was John Krasinski, Jon Hamm, and Scarlett Johansson. If they are able to get the three of them for this production I would flip out.

bobs3
#8Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 11/17/12 at 6:21am

"Nina Arianda IS Tracy Lord."

I agree but unlikely, she's got 4 films in pre-production for 2013.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#9Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 11/17/12 at 3:55pm

While I really like Timbers' work, the fact that this is Roundabout doesn't give me high hopes.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#10Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 11/17/12 at 4:04pm

Alex Timbers has directed several readings of the show for Roundabout over the last several years, with (as far as I know) a different actress playing Tracy Lord every time. Since Roundabout has finally greenlit the show toward production, I assure you that it's because they've finally locked in someone they liked well enough to play Tracy.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

peachesr82 Profile Photo
peachesr82
#11Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 11/19/12 at 9:05am

The biggest problem they're going to have is that Barry wrote the role for Hepburn, it's more her than anything else she did. To find someone who can play that part without 'being Hepburn' is going to be a real challenge. Still, it's very exciting. I love the film and it could make for a really exciting cast if they get it right.

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#12Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 3/24/13 at 9:05pm

Has there been any more news on this show? I was super happy when it was announced, but since then haven't heard anything more.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#13Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 3/24/13 at 9:15pm

It's not happening. At least not this season.

Gothampc
#14Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 3/24/13 at 9:42pm

My guess is they are trying to get Anne Hathaway to do it. But Hathaway is trying to get into the My Fair Lady revival.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

nasty_khakis
#15Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 3/24/13 at 9:57pm

I doubt it was Anne Hathaway. They most likely had another great candidate for Tracy get a pilot/movie/other offer.

I DO think Anne would be great. She can play snobbish ice queen, comedy, and girl in love all at the same time. However, I don't see someone with her A+, just won an Oscar, white-hot calibre doing a limited run with a non profit. If this were a commerical production and she could get a bigger pay day and perks, I could see her jumping. But she likes keeping her options open so maybe she would.

This sounds crazy and I'm sure she has 0% interest in doing theatre and is no way a recognizable name by any means, but Eliza Coupe from tv's "Happy Endings" could make a GLORIOUS Tracy.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#16Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 3/24/13 at 10:44pm

Somehow, I don't think Hathaway needs to concern herself with a paycheck. That being said, though, I suppose the "in" thing to do is see just how much you can get them to pay for your name.

I like her, and would love to see what she might do on stage -- in any appropriate vehicle.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#17Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 3/24/13 at 10:49pm

I highly doubt Anne Hathaway is really worried about how much she's gonna get paid, her only NY stage appearances have been in limited runs with little pay, like Encores! or Shakespeare in the Park. If she's not doing it it's probably because she's not interested.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#18Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 3/24/13 at 10:58pm

She's greedy. She wants a Tony.

nasty_khakis
#19Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 3/24/13 at 11:11pm

I know she's done small/not for profit runs in the past and doesn't "need" the money, but I just don't see her making her big debut in a Roundabout show, especially right now. In a couple years, sure, why not, but not while she's very much in demand.

She's entirely age-appropriate for the role, the same age Hepburn was when she played it on stage, however, I think Roundabout will probably going for an older name. Don't as me why, it's just a gut feeling. For example, I can see someone like Cynthia Nixon knocking it out of the park.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#20Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 3/24/13 at 11:58pm

Cynthia Nixon? I feel like she'd be more appropriate for the DINNER WITH FRIENDS Roundabout revival than for Tracy Lord. But who knows?
I just think that if Anne Hathaway doesn't work with Roundabout it's more because of the bad reputation they've established recently rather than because they can't give her money. For example, I'd see her working with LCT in a heartbeat (like in the proposed KING & I revival, though it seems like that's Kelli O'Hara's show).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 3/24/13 at 11:58 PM

nasty_khakis
#21Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout
Posted: 3/25/13 at 12:27am

Ray, Roundabout's reputation is what is giving me pause more than any money situation. I just used the money as another reason why I don't see her doing this. Mostly it's just a gut feeling I have. If it were the Public of LCT I could easily see her doing it, but Roundabout NEVER gets white-hot A+ names. I mean, they get GREAT actors and big names, sure, but never when they're at their ultimate. Like, they got Megan Mullally but it wasn't during the Will and Grace peak, ya know?

Also, I'm not really adding Cynthia Nixon to my list. I'm just saying someone of her age/caliber/name would be more inline with Roundabout's way of casting. I think she'd do a stand-up job though, regardless of how wrong she really is. It's similar to the WAY too old casting of Mary Louise Parker in "Hedda Gabbler" and Laura Linney in "Les Liasons." Both terrific actresses in terribly misguided roles. So, if anything I'm punishing Annie for being too right for the role. Alex Timbers to Direct Revival of The Philadelphia Story for Roundabout