pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 21

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#500NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/26/13 at 11:07pm

Not lovers. I think it's implied they are lifelong friends who turned into writing partners.

Gothampc
#501NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/26/13 at 11:10pm

"Also, a musical about a woman from the POV of men? Oh, just what the world needs!"

Didn't you know that the next Broadway revival of Gypsy was going to use that device? During Rose's Turn, Herbie, Uncle Jocko, Mr. Goldstone, Tulsa and Pop were going to be onstage poking Rose with pitchforks.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Gothampc
#502NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/26/13 at 11:12pm

"Not lovers. I think it's implied they are lifelong friends who turned into writing partners."

Obviously stolen from when Richard Rodgers roamed the streets looking for Lorenz Hart when he was on a bender?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

broadwayfever
#503NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/26/13 at 11:17pm

Who the heck is directing and editing these shows?

Gothampc
#504NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/26/13 at 11:24pm

"Who the heck is directing and editing these shows?"

Somebody who doesn't want an Emmy. I think I even saw in the screen credits someone called Auntie Emmy.

Gothampc
#505NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/26/13 at 11:27pm

The only real mis-step of Smash is that they didn't hire Eddie Redmayne to play Ellis.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#506NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/26/13 at 11:45pm

It's like there's the character Jennifer Hudson is supposed to be playing (that the script keeps talking about) and then there's the actual character Jennifer Hudson is playing. If I Loved You and I Could Have Danced All Night may be what "people" want to hear from "Broadway's sweetheart" but we've never once heard her sing ANYTHING like those songs in this show.

And the winner for Jennifer's worst line reading of the week is, ""Well, if he's such a genius, why would I rather be in my dressing room...than on the stage?" It also took me three times to understand her when she said, "I mean, it's getting to the point where I never stop working," because I could have sworn she mumbled something about Burger King.

I don't get why anyone would care about Jimmy at all. He's the worst. Is Kyle in love with him or something? If so, that's gonna make Kyle the worst. Also, whoever shot that commercial he did should be doing the cinematography for the show, because Jeremy Jordan looked like a different (non-Neanderthal) person.

I think the show has finally broken me.

Updated On: 2/26/13 at 11:45 PM

broadwayfever
#507NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/26/13 at 11:58pm

It' no longer fun to watch.

The only reason I keep watching is because I'm waiting for Krysta Rodriguez to get started.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#508NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 12:08am

Was I the only one who found that reimagined version of "I Got Love" terrible? Not sure how that was suppose to prove that Derek is a good director.

I actually liked the cover song that Andy Mientus sang tonight.

And that Jeremy Jordan and McPhee scene was laughably bad. Both of their acting was God awful.

trixigold
#509NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 1:41am

The show is just terrible this season. They made it worse, not better. Too many new characters who are boring and they get to burst into song on top of it. I don't remember that many burst-into-song moments in day-to-day life last season, and certainly not from secondary characters. It also has even more musical theater insider-y stuff, and even less believable.

I almost miss Julia's son and husband. They were annoying, but having a regular soap opera type of story line where people weren't having musical numbers was better than what's going on this season. If they had done last season like this season, Julia's son would have been bursting into songs about God knows what.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#510NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 4:43am

I'm not sure the show is any worse this year....but I know it isn't any better, which is disappointing.

I think we all knew that this idea was far from being able to reach the general masses, were really hoping for something with substance that at least our geekdom would connect to.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

dtzumbrunnen Profile Photo
dtzumbrunnen
#511NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 7:15am

I thought this was the most promising episode of this season, for sure. While a bit of a hokey reveal, it at least makes some sense that Ellis would be the guy feeding Jerry his information. Here's hoping Eileen can expose them, since she's carried the show on her mannish, exposed shoulders (which was at least better than the boxy black suits) since the show started. I actually felt mild anger at that whole arc of the story.

I can't wait until we start to see some recordings of famous broadway actresses in concert on Bravo!

@PRS - I think it's when Jimmy/Jeremy has the sideburns - he looks fine then!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#512NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 7:29am

I think it's worse this season if only because it's not much fun anymore.

The pacing of the stories has been off. In this episode neither Hilty nor McPhee got to sing a solo, and little progress was made in the Bombshell/Les Liaisons rehearsal rooms. Hit List also wasn't developed any further from last week.

When Hudson announced last week that she wanted to do a concert I assumed this would be something her and Derek planned and worked on all season, or at least for a couple episodes. Instead the entire storyline is crammed into one episode. 24 hours before the concert Borle says they don't even know the songs she's singing??? What??? Yet magically by showtime the songs are chosen, arranged, memorized, choreographed, lit and conceptualized.

What we did receive of Bombshell with Messing and the dramaturg ground the show to a halt. The book must be REALLY awful if those kids couldn't figure out it was a bio-play about Marilyn Monroe, even with the names changed. I'm glad they were all fooled by Hedda too. The thing that gets me most about Sunjata's character is that he has yet to give Messing any good idea about how to fix the show.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#513NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 8:13am

I really think I'm just sticking around for Jack and Megan, even though I don't like their scenes together

55 Eye Rolls From Season 2, Episode 4, 'The Song' Updated On: 2/27/13 at 08:13 AM

broadwaypunk06 Profile Photo
broadwaypunk06
#514NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 9:35am

Wow. Everyone is so negative about the show. I don't think it's the greatest show but I love watching it and it helps theatre obsession. Yes a lot of it is campy but I think it works. Okay, the drug scene, everyone is making fun of is not the best but I have been in situations where these lines have been said. They were campy and bad in real life and they sounded the same on the screen. And I love Jeremy Jordan ....... The shows still trying to find its footing from the not so good first season and I think it's getting there but the whole Ellis thing HORRIBLE HORRIBLE reveal I hated it. I am addicted to theatre and this is the only show about theatre, maybe not the best, but a show about theatre. I hate Glee with a passion yes they do some good songs but its not theatre I need theatre in my life and Smash is what I've got and I hope it does not get canceled at least not til the season ends. Just enjoy it for what it is lol damn lol

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#515NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 9:41am

SMASH is like SPIDERMAN: TURN OFF THE DARK. Season 1 was 1.0 - Campy, ridiculous, absolutely absurd on every single level. Season 2 is 2.0 - More serious and more focused yet all the fun is gone. But (and I guess people disagree with me) I loooooove Jeremy Jordan. I just do so anytime he's on screen I'm a happy boy. And that last song J-Hud sang? MY GAWD, I'm in love with it!

bryan2
#516NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 9:46am

Ok it is official every single Bway vet is going to appear on this show....Ebersole and Jackson now coming on ...Ethel Merman is on the way ....Liza is coming( please please please do not make her laugh like a crazy woman) ...this show , which i liked last year is AWFUL...Jeremy Jordan is horrible -cant act...and I liked his voice until now all he does is scream... and he seems way to not-hetro- to be with a woman...I am so dissapointed ...This show should just have Megan sing for an hour and not cover songs...she is the real deal the rest ...even Angelica Houston is over acting...BAD BAD BAD show...but i will keep watching because once in a while a song like Dont Forget ME or They just keep moving the line comes on and blows me away I know I am a sucker for a good showtune lol....but please don have Meg sing covers-

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#517NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 9:47am

That's a lie. He doesn't scream when he might have done some drugs.

WhizzerMarvin
#518NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 9:51am

Jordan, Your analogy to Spiderman 1.0 and 2.0 is very apt.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#519NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 10:54am

I actually enjoyed last night's episode.

Jennifer Hudson, while a terrible, terrible actress, somehow made me have the slightest emotional connection to a character...which for this show is an epic win. Cousin Debbie is doing the Full Adler as of late which, well...it worked once, so why not? And who knew the kids were still doing ecstasy??? I was all, 'Karen, do NOT with that hophead!' until it was revealed that he was x-ing and I was all, 'Oh...that's ok, then.'

But the whole 'I Got Love' was insane. Mostly cause it was the afterbirth of the 'Take Off With Us' sequence of ALL THAT JAZZ. I mean...even the percussion at the beginning and the couplings at the end. Just AWFUL!

And I bounced and applauded at the re-emergence of dear little Ellis Dappledawn. Even if it was only a name on a check.

WhizzerMarvin
#520NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 11:36am

The ratings are out...0.9 market share with 2.99 million viewers.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#521NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 12:02pm

It certainly was better than last week's episode, but that's not saying much!! Too many new characters and I really do not like Jeremy Jordan one bit.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#522NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 12:25pm

I'm confused by the whole DVR ratings thing?

OperaBwayLover Profile Photo
OperaBwayLover
#523NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 12:25pm

The reimagined "I Got Love" looked like they were spoofing Fosse and not in a good way.

Jordan: now that you made that great analogy, I suddenly have the urge to see what McPhee would do with "A Freak Like Me (Needs Company)." Don't ask me why.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#524NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 2/27/13 at 12:27pm

Am I the only one who picked up a SHOWGIRLS reference with the McPhee/Hilty lesbo-tease choreography?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Videos