pixeltracker

Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?- Page 2

Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?

Jonwo
#25Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 6:44pm

Mary Poppins closing doesn't surprise me as its numbers outside of holidays haven't been great, its had a fantastic run and a success for Disney and Cameron Mackintosh.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#26Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 6:45pm

If the show is roughly the same in structure as the past regionals, Aladdin won't need to be a big name or even a major veteran- the real "star" roles per se are Jafar, Genie and the Three Wise Guys.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#27Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 6:49pm

I do find it hysterical that BWW would post something still technically unofficial as fact. Remember when they would delete threads before the closing was actually posted? I hope Thomas Schumacher does a big FU and extends it just a few more months.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

emida Profile Photo
emida
#28Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 6:54pm

So excited about Aladdin!

The movie holds a special place in my heart and I hope they'll do something interesting with it! There's so much potential there and I hope it turns out great!

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#29Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 7:02pm

This sounds eerily reminiscent to when Disney closed their long-running major success, Beauty and the Beast at the Lunt, to make room for The Little Mermaid what would become a major flop.

I was never a fan of Mary Poppins but it's had a very good run and even in recent months the grosses have been softer but far from terrible. I just don't see the justification for closing, making major, potentially expensive renovations to the New Amsterdam, for another musical that hasn't had a tryout anywhere that's been universally loved.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
Updated On: 1/7/13 at 07:02 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#30Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 7:05pm

"Remember when they would delete threads before the closing was actually posted?"

...and then post the same story as an article?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#31Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 7:21pm

I agree about Beauty and the Beast closing, to make way for the beleaguered The Little Mermaid, which just drowned in the Lunt.

Anyway aren't we due another Aida revival?

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#33Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 7:40pm

That doesn't mean anything. The cast might just not know yet.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#34Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 7:46pm

This article says March 3rd and Riedel is saying April 3rd. Not sure about all this.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#35Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 7:51pm

Dead horse, yes.

But Disney needed to bring Hunchback in first

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#36Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 7:58pm

**yawn** They're swapping out an umbrella for a rug. Big deal.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#37Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 8:01pm

I highly doubt that this is true.

EDIT: I checked, and Theater Mania has it listed as an open run. Updated On: 1/7/13 at 08:01 PM

Wildcard
#38Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 8:04pm

If Aladdin were to come to Broadway in its current state, I think it needs a smaller theater to succeed.

TheGingerBreadMan
#39Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 8:06pm

Wildcard, I agree 100%. Eugene O'Neill would be ideal, but seeing as though BOM sells out almost every week, there is no chance of that happening.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#40Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 8:09pm

That's probably a typo on Reidel's part as April 3rd is a Wednesday.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#41Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 8:23pm

"That doesn't mean anything. The cast might just not know yet."

The justification of deleting closing announcements thread used to be because sometimes people here knew before the cast was officially informed. I guess the sensitivity doesn't exist anymore.

PS Still not official, "Breaking News" indeed.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 1/7/13 at 08:23 PM

Jonwo
#42Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 8:26pm

If Aladdin is going to be large scale then it's more than likely going to go into a large theatre. I imagine there will be another out of town tryout as I imagine the show won't be exactly the same as the Seattle run.

TheatreKid3
#43Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 8:26pm

I highly doubt this is true. They had just announced Dromard was temporarily replacing Gavin Lee in his leave of absence to go back to London and do TOP HAT for a bit, with what sounded like Gavin having the intention to return to the production after a few months. I really don't think that Disney would make the BEAUTY mistake twice. POPPINS is still doing really well for them, and I personally think the New Amsterdam is too big for ALADDIN at this point (unless, as Jonwo said, Disney makes ALADDIN into a huge spectacle - which they should).

I also agree that HUNCHBACK should be here already.

Updated On: 1/7/13 at 08:26 PM

Jonwo
#44Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 8:34pm

If it were to close, I would have thought August would be more likely so that they can get the last few months of good sales, renovate the New Amsterdam between September-October then reopen with Aladdin in late October/early November.

TheGingerBreadMan
#45Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 8:53pm

They've been making 1mil a week over the holidays, and not too much less normally. It would be stupid to close this for ALADDIN. It is a fun regional show, but I can't see it doing well on Broadway. If this is true, I agree with many others, this is BEAUTY all over again. Close a hit (or at least semi-hit) for a flop. I hope Disney isn't stupid enough to make this mistake twice. They will feel absolutely ridiculous.

TheatreKid3
#46Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 8:57pm

From what I read, the rumor was that ALADDIN would open in the Spring of 2014. I think that is a good move for them to open closer to the peak in award season. But, I don't think it makes sense for the New Amsterdam to sit dark for almost a year. They should run POPPINS until early/late August and capitalize off the summer one last time - if they are truly going to close it. Then, renovate the theatre during the fall and winter, then open ALADDIN in April.

However, I think POPPINS still has a lot left in it and should remain open to avoid losing a major hit for a potential flop. At this point, I think it would be in Disney's best interest to try and put ALADDIN in another Nederlander house that is open. The Neil Simon is currently vacant, but it would have to sit empty for over a year unless they want to open earlier - and I don't see the Nederlander's going for that. Their best option would be to take the Lunt-Fontanne back, should MOTOWN tank, or maybe even the Marquis (but that is a similar situation to the Simon).

Updated On: 1/7/13 at 08:57 PM

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
TheatreKid3
#48Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 9:10pm

I really do think it would be the best fit. But they may want the Amsterdam because the Mezz overhang is so far back, meaning they could fly the carpet over more people and at a greater distance from the stage.

Jonwo
#49Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted: 1/7/13 at 9:11pm

Poppins could transfer to the Neil Simon or Marquis and they could one of the existing touring sets but I wonder if Disney has discussed this option with Cameron Mackintosh because it's his show too as well as the possibility of closing it.