neil30043
#1Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 9:04am

This year might be an embarrassment of riches? Here are some of the leading possibilities:

Amy Morton-"Virginia Woolf"
Holland Taylor-"Ann"
Laurie Metcalfe-"The Other Place"
Cicely Tyson-"The Trip to Bountiful"
Fiona Shaw-"The Testament of Mary"
Emilia Clarke-"Tiffany's"
Scarlett Johansson-"Cat"
Bette Midler-"I'll Eat You Last"
Cherry Jones-"The Glass Menagerie" (I think it will be here)

There are also a few other possibilies: Estelle Parsons, Amber Tamblyn, etc.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#2Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 11:39am

Morton and Metcalf are locks for nominations, Jones too if her show transfers. As of now I think Amy Morton looks like the likely winner.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#2Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 12:25pm

I haven't had the opportunity to see Metcalf yet, and at this point might not be able to, but Morton would be a very deserving winner. Every performance in Woolf was outrageously good. Letts not winning Best Actor would be a crime.

Brick
#3Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 12:40pm

This is indeed a very competitive category, and certainly even harder to call before they all open.

I agree Amy Morton and Laurie Metcalf are locks. As is Cherry Jones if it comes, and I think it will. But I'd also add Cicely Tyson to the lock category, too.

So, then you have one slot left.
Fiona Shaw-"The Testament of Mary"
Emilia Clarke-"Tiffany's"
Scarlett Johansson-"Cat"
Bette Midler-"I'll Eat You Last"

And from that list, I'd put money on Fiona Shaw.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#4Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 12:45pm

What about Jessica Chastain in THE HEIRESS. I loved that show and thought Jessica was fantastic. Even if others don't think she shuold be nominated, she should certainly be added to the list of possibilities!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 12:53pm

Do NOT count out Cicely Tyson. She's one of the most respected actresses we have, in a role that has "Tony" written all over it. Even though it hasn't even started yet, I think the Tony is hers to lose.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#6Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 12:58pm

Amy Morton will be this season's Jan Maxwell, likley lossing out to a Broadway legend like Cherry Jones or Bette Middler, despite giving the performance of a lifetime.

Although Letts deserves the Best Actor awards hands down, Tom Hanks' name is already engraved on the statuette unfortunetly. Unless he completly bombs, the award is his to loose.

Jordan Catalano
#7Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 1:01pm

Do you know anything about LUCKY GUY? Saying that about a brand new play that nobody has ever seen, just because it's got a huge movie star in it doesn't make a lot of sense.

GlindatheGood22
#8Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 1:02pm

^Just what i was thinking. What are you basing your prediction on?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#9Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 1:21pm

Holland Taylor is incredible as Ann Richards. I'd be very surprised if she's not nominated.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#10Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 1:21pm

As much as I love Amy and Tracy, I think their show closing in March is really going to hurt them. This will be especially true if Menagerie opens this season. Having seen it yesterday, I can say with assurance that Cherry Jones will be nominated. And bdn, stop making idiotic predictions like that. Hanks might win if he's deserving, but there's enough amazing talent this year to beat him if he's not good. I'll tell you now, if Zachary Quinto is ruled leading, people are going to have a VERY hard time beating him. He is giving the best performance in that role I've ever seen. His final monologue alone is Tony-worthy.

#11Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 1:23pm

There is NO POINT in waiting to see the show before deciding who wins the Tony! I've already decided who wins the 2014 awards!

lenstersf
#12Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 1:32pm

I think Metcalf has a great chance of winning, even beating Morton and Jones. Although they all deserve recognition for their incredible work.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#13Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 1:33pm

I think Laurie, Jessica, and Amy are locks. Scarlet will not get a nomination.

Jessica will be nominated. She turned in an excellent performance and let's not forget Tony politics. Chastain was spoken of well in the theatre community, was generous with her company and her fans and was well liked. Her show also recouped and producers are wanting to work with her again.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#14Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 2:02pm

Although I haven't seen his performance yet, I have a feeling the biggest competition Tracy Letts will face is Alan Cumming in Macbeth. For those that saw his performance at Lincoln Center, can he be beaten? Also, I haven't followed the Tony Awards seriously for very long, but it seems to me that they aren't really dazzled by big celebrity turns, so Tom Hanks being in a play does not automatically seal the deal for him.

GlindatheGood22
#15Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 2:08pm

That's what's concerning me. Letts is giving a brilliant performance, but Cumming is carrying far more weight.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#16Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 6:06pm

Should win: Letts

Will win: Letts

If he doesn't win then the award then perhaps the Tonys themselves lose virtually all meaning. Letts gave a revelatory performance of an iconic role.

I hope Morton wins, as I think she should have won for August: Osage County, but as we see, there is,lots of competition here, primarily, I believe, from Metcalf.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.
Updated On: 2/18/13 at 06:06 PM

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#17Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 6:10pm

I can't imagine Chastain not getting a nomination.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#18Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 6:15pm

If Tom Hanks wins a Tony, I wonder if Hunter Foster will have another meltdown. It would be especially funny since Hunter has SOLD OUT to HOLLYWOOD by appearing on Bunheads with his sister.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

carajoy
#19Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 6:20pm

Good picks, other than Estelle Parsons is no longer a possibility (Velocity of Autumn is off).

I have a pretty complete list of possibilities on Huffington Post, though it's minus Weaver and Jones, and includes Maggie Grace (who is going to be supporting).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cara-joy-david/best-actress-in-a-play-to_b_2571458.html

@CaraJoyDavid
Best Actress in a Play Tony Race -- It's Never Too Early to Start Thinking Ahead Updated On: 2/18/13 at 06:20 PM

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#20Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 6:23pm

Is it already that time of year again? The "Tony-predictions-before-first-preview-of-predicated-show" thread seems to bloom earlier each year. I love it even more when casts of shows that are not scheduled to be on Broadway this season are presumably nominated. ("Cherry Jones-"The Glass Menagerie" (I think it will be here)")

I'm not singling out the OP -- happens a lot here. All I'm saying: can't we at least wait until April before we see these threads? Lot of variables will be resolved between now and then. Better to wait...j'ai raison, n'est-ce pas?

Jordan Catalano
#21Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 6:29pm

And a le petit bidet to you, as well.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#22Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 6:31pm

Maggie Grace-not a chance. She was horrendous.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#23Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/18/13 at 6:50pm

"And a le petit bidet to you, as well."

Such a toilet mouth, Jordan!

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#24Tony Outlook: Best Actress in a Play
Posted: 2/19/13 at 1:06am

Just a good temperature check to see what folks are thinking
Yes, many of these shows haven't even opened yet