pixeltracker

How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?- Page 2

How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#25How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 1:41am

Main purpose of BWW board:
Sally's red dress.

But actually - I value the opinions of many (some) people on here, esp. for early preview responses if I'm on the fence about a show (ie - Hardbody). I don't think this site affects the majority of the theater community but it's always nice to have a forum of like-minded individuals.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#26How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 1:45am

Sally's red dress.

Such a good example.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#27How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 2:14am

we have our famous figures and our celebrities- respected characters like Pal Joey

You wanna know something? I always wanted to be a character on Smash. Like Jordan Roth, only with a musical number.

So now that I'm a "famous celebrity," I'm gonna have Shaiman and Wittman write me a song--a swell song too.

I'll have them write me a song with a boy to work with--someone like Wesley Taylor, someone who can lift me up, show me off. Oh, hell, I'll have them write me a song with two boys.

It'll frame me better....

Think big, PalJoey, think big....

I'm gonna have them write me a song with a whole bunch of boys.

Updated On: 4/14/13 at 02:14 AM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#28How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 2:27am

Do you stage door?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Tom5
#29How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 3:07am

As far as previews go it's singularly informative. But, of course, you have to know how to separate the reliable posters from the rest. Several of the top ones have already been named.I'm sure the majority of the big time Broadway and West End players check in here regularly.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#30How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 3:08am

"Everybody in show business listens to anybody."

Herbie from "Gypsy."

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#31How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 5:34am

Baby, you and I
We're just about as special
As a walnut or a fly.
We don't matter at all.
We don't matter at all.
We don't really matter at all.

Am I getting through to you?

What are we? Two little specs of nothing
Just a couple of amoeba
In the universal sea
We don't matter at all.

What am I? Some phosphorus and water;
I've heard chemically speaking
Worth a dollar eighty-three.
We don't matter at all.

....but the world goes 'round

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#32How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 6:54am

IMO - BWW is important only in the aspect that it is online advertisement for theatre shows and Broadway performers performing in other types of entertainment. (Concerts, Movies, TV etc). I highly doubt that opinons or topics discussed on the message board really matter to Broadway producers,directors, actors etc. Broadway shows have out of town tryouts and previews to get audience reaction so checking out the message board for reaction to show is really not necessary.

Dave19
#33How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 6:55am

Jordan, I wouldn't take that as a compliment.
The respected characters are mentioned in another sentence. :)
A bit of wit is ok, especially to keep things shallow, but it really doesn't add anything if you do it for years and years and years. It gets tiresome.

Try to develop an attention span bigger than that of a goldfish.
Oh, one more tip; If you think that the general masses are just as clever and witty as a veteran theatre queen on a board like this, you might want to change your world view.

Now, back on topic. What is your view on this matter? How much influence do you think this board has in the business? Because all your reactions in this thread so far are only about side issues, as always.

I think that more people in the business watch this board than we could ever imagine. It is human nature to be curious to see what people think of you, or your production. I think the internet is still very much underestimated.

Updated On: 4/14/13 at 06:55 AM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#34How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 7:36am

I love your ode to "Chicago", PJ! from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

SamIAm2
#35How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 9:26am

This is a very interesting discussion. Thanks to dargquegk for starting the thread and to all of you for participating.

I wish that I could remember the source, but a few months ago I read a piece listing the top power brokers on Broadway. Broadwayworld message board posters was on the list, maybe at about 37. (Sorry for the vagueness, but middle age strikes yet again and I just do not remember.) Reading preview threads here, I have been struck by the many astute comments and suggestions about how to improve productions and specific feedback about what delights and what falls flat. I would think that these comments would be a great resource to savvy theater professionals. Of course, one needs to separate the wheat from the chaff and ignore posters whose sole motivation is to trash a new production.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#36How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 9:34am

" Jordan, I wouldn't take that as a compliment.
The respected characters are mentioned in another sentence. :)
A bit of wit is ok, especially to keep things shallow, but it really doesn't add anything if you do it for years and years and years. It gets tiresome.

Try to develop an attention span bigger than that of a goldfish.
Oh, one more tip; If you think that the general masses are just as clever and witty as a veteran theatre queen on a board like this, you might want to change your world view."

Da Fuk......?

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#37How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 9:56am

Well, that was weird

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#38How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:02am

I guess you are a shallow goldfish, Jordy.

How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?

Dave19
#39How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:04am

Jordan knows what it's about....

And I'm still waiting for your opinion on the importance of Broadwayworld to Broadway. Because you have posted 4 times in this thread and none of them were about this matter.

And then you have the nerve to blame others for "talking about things that had absolutely nothing to do with anything being discussed". Updated On: 4/14/13 at 10:04 AM

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#40How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:04am

Yum

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#41How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:07am

This from the person that thinks Glee is high art.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dave19
#42How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:10am

To the person that thinks that the masses "get" everything.

Jordan Catalano
#43How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:11am

THANK YOU, dramamama! If you hadn't said that, I would have spent all day wondering what I did to piss off some kid I'd never even said 2 words to. But he's just pissed because of my signature.

And that's ok.

And you want my opinion on this site's importance? Sure, why not.

I think it's important.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#44How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:13am

What is the Sally's red dress story?

And I have some Midol if anyone here needs it? Or wants it, because they obviously need it

Jordan Catalano
#45How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:14am

Dave is a boy and he doesn't need Midol. That's offensive and you can't say things like that to people who are fragile like Dave. He's only 19.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#46How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:18am

I am never starting a thread drunk again.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#47How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:19am

I would imagine many in the Broadway community avoid us like a plague. We're scary and snarky (and butt hurt, in Dave's case). We are free to outwardly and nastily hate, unlike critics who have to stay within some parameters.

ghostlight2
#48How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:22am

Isn't it a valid question to ask someone to actually respond to the subject matter instead of making repeated off-topic responses, dramamama?

The reason this board is becoming increasingly irrelevant is (IMO) too much time is spent makes "witty" jokes and infighting, insulting and name-calling. It is increasingly difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Sure, some actors read this board, but the smarter ones don't, and are certainly too smart to respond. A few producers will have their interns read and alert them to anything interesting, but the creatives aren't trolling the board for ideas.

Musto and Riedel, on the other hand, likely do, on days when they can't think of anything to write about.

In other words, this board is a tiny little world mostly unto itself, ruled over by a handful of regular posters. It's very clique-ish. Trolls are allowed to roam free, by and large.

Is this board important to Broadway? Not really, imo. It's mostly important to those who post here.

Updated On: 4/14/13 at 10:22 AM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#49How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:30am

It's mostly important to those who post here.

Well yea, isn't that the point of a message board?