EVITA national tour?

Harpz2006
#1EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/1/13 at 11:28pm

Has anyone heard anything about this tour? Will it be equity or non? Someone told me they know someone in it and it will be playing at the Kennedy Center in DC this fall, but there's no mention of it in the KC season... would love any info on this:)!

matineeidol2591
#2EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/1/13 at 11:40pm

Almost certain I know who the Eva is; shes currently in the ensemble of one of the seasons biggest hits on Broadway.

And I heard rumors about Josh Young as Che.

PositivelyEmerald
#2EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/2/13 at 1:36am

^First person I thought of was Caroline Bowman. She's in the ensemble of Kinky Boots and understudied Elphaba on broadway...she'd be good.

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#3EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/2/13 at 4:48am

"Almost certain I know who the Eva is; shes currently in the ensemble of one of the seasons biggest hits on Broadway"

First person I thought of was Morgan James. Say what you want about the woman, but she would sing the HELL out of that score

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#4EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/2/13 at 7:22am

What about Annelise van der Pol? She would bring audiences. Plus, she's doing dinner theatre now I think she would say yes to a National Tour that could bring her back to the top.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#5EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/2/13 at 11:01am

I'm on pins and needles too. I loved the staging of the revival in NYC, and I can't wait to see it in Houston!

matineeidol2591
#6EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/2/13 at 11:03am

Bingo PositivelyEmerald

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#7EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/2/13 at 1:38pm

First person I thought of coincidentally was Anna Eilinsfeld, who was also an Elphaba u/s until a few weeks ago when she left to play Eva regionally (with Dir. Richard Hinds) so was thinking maybe this was like her "practice run" singing the role. But Caroline would be great!

PositivelyEmerald
#8EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/2/13 at 1:47pm

It seems likely that its Caroline and Josh. Josh tweeted that he was having celebratory drinks with his "soon to be BFF" Caroline bowman a couple weeks ago.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#9EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/2/13 at 4:34pm

What about Annelise van der Pol? She would bring audiences

Ummm she's not really even a big enough name to bring audiences on Broadway. She's definitely wouldn't bring audiences on the road.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Visceral_Fella
#10EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/2/13 at 4:51pm

Wow, Caroline is going to be amazing. I never would have thought of her.

broadway guy
#11EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/2/13 at 4:53pm

I would love to see Van Der Pol as Eva. Her voice was too powerful and harsh for belle but i think her voice would be perfect for eva

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#12EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/2/13 at 4:54pm

What about Annelise van der Pol? She would bring audiences.

Ooh, thanks for the laugh! I needed that!

broadway guy
#13EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/2/13 at 5:00pm

"about Annelise van der Pol? She would bring audiences."

Why are you dismissing it? Doesn't seem fair.

AEA AGMA SM
#14EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/2/13 at 5:07pm

"Ummm she's not really even a big enough name to bring audiences on Broadway. She's definitely wouldn't bring audiences on the road."

I find it humorous that this logic is applied to Annaliese van der Pol but not any of the random Elphaba understudies being mentioned. She may not be a huge star, but there will at least be a few people who've heard of her, certainly more than the other actresses mentioned in this thread.

That being said, I have no idea if she's in consideration, could do it, or would do it. In all likelihood they are going to be relying on the name of the show itself, as well as Andrew Lloyd Webber's name, to sell it on the road, not on the name of the actress playing Eva, just like every other tour of this show that has gone out.

Matteo Profile Photo
Matteo
#15EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/2/13 at 6:37pm

I can say with 100% certainty that the already mentioned Elphie understudy is Eva.

bwaybby
#16EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/2/13 at 7:18pm

I REALLY hope this is true especially after missing josh's Che at Stratford BUT it seems from his twitter and facebook that the "celebratory drinks" were for and on his and Caroline's birthday with the manager they also seem to have in common. I can't imagine they are also both doing this show in addition to these other coincidences. But I hope you're right!

JuanValjean72 Profile Photo
JuanValjean72
#17EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/2/13 at 11:30pm

I cannot imagine Josh's voice for Che. I know there are videos but I'm so used to a less harsh voice. Mandy Patinkin's had a huge range, vocally and emotionally, and Raul Esparza's was more on the baritone side. Oh well, I've only seen one show on tour, chances are I'd miss this one too. Regardless, I'm sure whoever is cast will give it there all!

bwaybby
#18EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/3/13 at 12:14am

Harsh? You must be thinking of another actor! That is perhaps the last word I would use to describe his voice. He has a pure voice...youtube his Henrik or well, anything not Superstar!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#19EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/3/13 at 12:15am

I think Josh Young's acting will be on par with Ricky Martin's. So there's that.

Visceral_Fella
#20EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/3/13 at 12:39am

^Shade.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#21EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/3/13 at 1:01am

^Rightfully thrown.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Visceral_Fella
#22EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/3/13 at 1:26am

^Truth. Harsh realities.

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#23EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/12/13 at 10:51am

Any more casting news?

StratfordFan2
#24EVITA national tour?
Posted: 6/12/13 at 12:57pm

EVITA national tour?

I didn't see Ricky. But I did see Josh play the role a few seasons back here in Stratford and he was astonishing. I assume it's for that reason these rumours are floating around. From what I've heard from those who've seen both, there's no comparison. And this coming from a Ricky Martin fan (never seen him act) I've also not seen Mandy Patinkin, but I think to not be compared to the original is probably a testament to Young's work.

NYT on Martin "As Che, Mr. Martin, the chart-topping pop star, is thin voiced, polite, vaguely charming and forgettable. The intensity that Mr. Patinkin brought to the part has been discarded (along with the stringy hair and revolutionary battle fatigues), and this Che is a subversive you could bring home to meet the folks.

https://theater.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/theater/reviews/evita-starring-elena-roger-at-the-marquis-theater.html

NYT on Young "The dominant figure in this “Evita” is Josh Young's mesmerizing Che, with a forceful presence and rich, handsome voice to match his glowering good looks. Whenever Mr. Young is center stage, annotating Evita’s march to national prominence with sardonic commentary set to some of Mr. Lloyd Webber's most viscerally engaging music, the dramatic dialectic of the show tips heavily in favor of the narrator. The big song, the glamorous wardrobe, the piteous death all belong to the title character, but Mr. Young's electrifying performance is a reminder that the ultimate victors are not necessarily the figures who shape history but the people who get to tell their stories."

https://theater.nytimes.com/2010/07/11/theater/11stratford.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1&hpw

I recall all reviewers echoing this one. JuanValjean/Bwabby I for one was struck more by his portrayal than his voice (it is Stratford after all) I will be very upset if Josh is doing this tour and not coming back to Stratford. I'd understand if it were Broadway. I saw him at the opening of Tommy here a few weeks ago and he said he hoped to be back in Canada soon. It looks like this tour is at least a year and I don't think that would work with Stratford in 2014 EVITA national tour?

Can anyone confirm or deny he'll be doing this?