pixeltracker

Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony

Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony

carlyrachel_
#1Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 5:09pm

I haven't been able to see either Pippin or Cinderella, but it seems like the majority of people believe the Lead Actress in a musical tony will go to either Laura or Patina. Who do you think will win?

broadway guy
#2Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 5:11pm

Patina. No doubt in my mind.

carlyrachel_
#2Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 5:13pm

I'm just curious. Why do you say her over Laura?

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#3Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 5:16pm

Laura is a beautiful singer and actress who deserves the nomination for sure, but Patina totally killed it as a true triple threat in Pippin. No contest, imho.

Cinderella will get Best Costumes...

broadway guy
#4Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 5:16pm

Stronger Part, street cred, Vocally challenging etc etc

Wilmingtom
#5Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 5:18pm

I think Laura has the edge. It's pretty much a perfect realization of the character whereas Patina's is not, to some's perception, the perfect realization of the Leading Player. People are finding Patina's performance a little cold and too slick.

Liza's Headband
#6Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 5:21pm

"street cred"

Are you kidding me? WHO is this guy? (the answer better not be "broadway")

broadway guy
#7Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 5:37pm

Psshh girl please.

kieranbec Profile Photo
kieranbec
#8Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 6:15pm

I think it will go to Patina. Laura has a very loyal and vocal fan base and the closer it gets to the Tony's the louder they become.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#9Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 6:23pm

I agree 100% with Wilmingon above. Laura was perfection in her role. Patina still will be compared to Ben Vereen.

The roles are so different, though, I would be very happy with a tie in this category.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#10Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 6:32pm

It's a tight race, but I give Osnes the edge.
Patina has the Vereen thing against her,

CurtainPullDowner
#11Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 6:33pm

CurtainPullDowner
#12Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 6:37pm

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#13Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 6:45pm

I love Laura to death but I will be really disappointed if Patina doesn't win.

Emmaloucbway
#14Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 6:59pm

I'm really hoping for Patina Miller. I absolutely love Laura Osnes, but I was more blown away by Patina's performance than Laura's (maybe that's just because I prefer Pippin to Cinderella, but still). Patina is a triple threat, and practically carries the show. I'll be pretty disappointed if she doesn't get the Tony.

mjroberts972
#15Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 7:01pm

God, ever since the Matilda's dropped out of the race people thought that Laura had a chance. That award is still Patina's. There is no race.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#16Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 7:09pm

I personally like Laura but don't think this is her Tony-making role. The show is ok at best and while Laura is good in the role, she doesn't do anything that elevates the show or make it brilliant and worthwhile.

Patina on the other hand is giving a breakout, star making performance. Brantley's comments notwithstanding, she takes the unconventional concept of the female leading player and makes it work perfectly. Perhaps some people still have Vereen on their minds, but Patina is perhaps as close as we're ever going to get. Brilliant past performances in Gypsy didn't mean Patti Lupone was overlooked for her performance as Madame Rose. It seems silly to suggest someone giving a phenomenal performance shouldn't win solely because someone 40 years ago may have been better (and for the relative few who have seen both live, I do think it would be quite hard to remember and be able to sufficiently a compare an experience you had 40 years ago with one you had today, rose-colored glasses and all.)

While Cinderella plods and has a few moments of promise, Pippin is brilliant all the way through. Sure there are other factors like the rest of the cast, director, etc. but invariably to sustain a brilliant production, you need a phenomenal performance from the female lead, and Patina does just that.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#17Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 7:53pm

Patina. I genuinely don't understand why people think Laura could get it.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

broadway guy
#18Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 8:00pm

"God, ever since the Matilda's dropped out of the race people thought that Laura had a chance. That award is still Patina's. There is no race."

This. exactly. There has never been a race people. Once it got out that The Matildas weren't eligible it became clear that it was Patina for the win. There isn't a race..

Wilmingtom
#19Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 8:02pm

"I genuinely don't understand why people think Laura could get it."

You need to genuinely read the above posts to understand. Really very simple.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#20Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 8:58pm

I'm going to have to be on the ones who support Osnes because she fully embodies the role she originated and while I still support Miller, she has Ben Vereen's legendary performance hanging on her shoulders and people have said that her performance was to slick. But I wish both ladies the best.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#21Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 8:58pm

Who are the people who are finding Patina's performance too cold and slick?

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#22Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 9:10pm

^ Count me among them. Tough to compare anyone to Ben Vereen, but the show unfortunately invites us to. And Vereen's performance for all its virtuosity had a very light touch-- softly seductive, human and coy and even a little sweaty-- so when the iron fist shows up in the second Act it comes as a shock to both Pippin and us. With Patina, there's a dangerous hard as nails bitch on wheels up there from the first entrance -- where's the surprise?

Broadway61004
#23Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 9:12pm

"Brilliant past performances in Gypsy didn't mean Patti Lupone was overlooked for her performance as Madame Rose"

No, but it did mean she was overlooked for her performance as Mrs. Lovett, which like the Leading Player was immortalized by one actor (my point being, you can picture any number of legendary actresses as Mama Rose (Merman, Lansbury, Daly, Midler, etc.) whereas it’s clearly Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett and Ben Vereen as Leading Player). That’s what I think will come into play here, as well as the fact that critics loved Osnes a lot more than many people are remembering.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#24Laura Osnes or Patina Miller for the Tony
Posted: 6/4/13 at 9:12pm

On the other hand, I've absolutely no doubt Patina's got the tony in the bag. (the one she borrowed from Jan Maxwell)

Videos