pixeltracker

Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#1Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 1:15pm

Good for her. Just hope her voice holds up.

In Seattle

I know you. I know you. I know you.
Updated On: 6/12/13 at 01:15 PM

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#2Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 1:21pm

The press release is a little off;
"Kassebaum was the first to replace Kristin Chenoweth as Glinda in Wicked"
While she originated the tour, Jennifer Laura Thompson was the first Broadway replacement.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#2Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 2:46pm

What?! This is a must see.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#3Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 2:48pm

I hope they can add that "Peppermint Twist" song into the score somehow.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#4Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:06pm

Perfect casting. Ripley plays bats@#t crazy very well. The voice will be fine. She only has 2 full songs.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#5Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:10pm

Considering Marin Mazzie replaced Alice in Next to Normal and Marin was Maragret off-Broadway, it will be great. Its always cool when two actresses both serveral parts (Adam Pascal and Will Chase come to mind).

That beign said, I WISH I lived in Seattle to see this.

Updated On: 6/12/13 at 03:10 PM

#6Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:14pm

Mrs. White seems only sorta crazy by comparison to Alice.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#7Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 3:16pm

I wonder if Margaret White would post lots of youtube videos.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Visceral_Fella
#8Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 4:54pm

I hope she doesn't use the Mazzie keys.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#9Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 5:45pm

"The voice will be fine. She only has 2 full songs."

I'm really not so sure. Not only is a lot of strong belting required, but there are a lot of high notes. After hearing her attempt to sing "So Anyway" at the end of the N2N tour, it is difficult for me to imagine her singing those "They'll make promises, They will break your heart, then they'll laugh at you watching you fall apart" lines in "Those boys").

The high notes in Open Your Heart, the strong belting in Eve Was Weak, the belting and high notes in Those Boys, the high notes in When There's No One and Evening Prayers. This is a mammoth score, which as described in that Carrie LA production audition notice, "requires an actress with extreme stamina as a singer."

This is extremely exciting casting. I hope she can pull it off.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#10Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 6:36pm

Wow! This is actually very exciting news! Hope her voice holds up, too.

jackieoh Profile Photo
jackieoh
#11Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 8:18pm

Her voice will be fine. She's had almost two years to recover from next to normal and she's done minimal work since that requires regular use of her singing voice. At the end of the tour, even her speaking voice was in shreds, but I saw her in Clybourne Park a couple of weeks ago and even just listening to her speak, you can tell her voice has recovered. A nice, youthful timbre.

I wish this wasn't so far away. She'll be incredible in this role for sure.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#12Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 8:31pm

Carrie is not even close to the vocal demands of the N2N score. She will be just fine.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#13Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 8:34pm

Has someone re-written this Turkey?

jackieoh Profile Photo
jackieoh
#14Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 8:46pm

I can't find anything official yet, but it also seems that Ripley has booked a production of next to normal in the Chicago area. Does anyone know anything about this yet?

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#15Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 8:49pm

I thought I saw something re: Alice in a N2N production in Chicago too! Someone tweeted it and Alice retweeted it..

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#16Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 8:52pm

I want to see it. I hope to get to Seattle!!!

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#17Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 9:15pm

I wrote about this a couple of days ago before the official press releases were out.

Anyway, as I stated in the other thread, Alice did end up performing three songs that night, "When There Is No One" from Carrie, "I Miss The Mountains" from N2N, and a medley of songs from "Tommy". She sounded great in all three of those songs. "I Miss The Mountains" sounds almost like she did on the cast album, so I think her voice has returned. It's only a three week run with I think five shows a week, so she'll be fine.

"Carrie: The Musical" in Seattle

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!
Updated On: 6/12/13 at 09:15 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#18Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 10:01pm

I didn't realise that Alice performed "When There's No One". Are you able to describe her performance of the song?

I wish I could see her!!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/12/13 at 10:01 PM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#19Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 10:56pm

Because the score is also only orchestrated for seven pieces (including two keyboards and 2 guitars) -- it also shouldn't be difficult for the music to be lowered and positioned specifically for her voice. I'm sure she will give a fabulous performance.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#20Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/12/13 at 10:58pm

I can't imagine she'll be anything less than extraordinary.

Rainbowhigh23
#21Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/13/13 at 3:09pm

The Chicago N2N that is at the Drury Lane would run from August 15 - October 6, 2013, while Carrie in Seattle would start October 11. Kind of cutting it close but doable, that is if the rumor is true and this is actually the production.

Next to Normal in Chicago Updated On: 6/13/13 at 03:09 PM

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#22Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/13/13 at 4:49pm

Brilliant casting!

They should advertise:

Alice Ripley IS Margaret White!

Rainbowhigh23
#23Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/13/13 at 5:25pm

Wow! Airfare is CHEAP to Seattle in October. If you got a friend to stay with or can find a cheap hotel you can make a weekend of it and see the show.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#24Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White
Posted: 6/13/13 at 5:45pm

Wow! Airfare is CHEAP to Seattle in October. If you got a friend to stay with or can find a cheap hotel you can make a weekend of it and see the show.

My wife and I made the same discovery. Here's to hoping we pull it off! Alice Ripley to Play Margaret White