Weekly Nut for Spiderman?

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#1Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 4:07pm

The estimates when it opened were $1.1M to 1.3M a week. If that was correct, they must have renegotiated after the initial contracts ended or it certainly would not still be running.

If it is around $1M, it may be within a year of recouping. I would also be interested in music and merchandise sales. It doesn't count towards recouping for hit/flop, but the investors could have recouped already if you include these figures.

Updated On: 6/24/13 at 04:07 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 4:11pm

Are you answering your own questions, love?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

FindingNamo
#2Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 4:17pm

I'm not mathematician but didn't they say it would take 5 years of sell-outs at full price to recoup?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#4Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 4:26pm

They have to be pretty disappointed with their numbers now that it's summer...

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#4Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 4:42pm

I thought it had to run an insane number of years before recouping...?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 4:48pm

Word on the street was that it would need 5-8 years being totally sold out to recoup -- just break even.

I think most people were putting a nut of 1.2 million...but someone here recently said that during the lawsuit with Taymor, they claimed to be in the midst of bringing the nut down to an even 1 mil.

Why wouldn't the theater kick them out if they have indeed fallen below their nut? Not too many other folks that would be interested in the theater. (of course, rumor is that King Kong is interested)

I don't believe merchandising is ever considered toward the productions costs -- I could be totally wrong in that, however.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

AEA AGMA SM
#6Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 4:48pm

"If it is around $1M, it may be within a year of recouping."

If the show had cost even only as much as Shrek (which was around 35 million), it MIGHT have a chance at recouping within a year, but it was at least double that. Even during its best weeks it was still not pulling in a massive profit most of those weeks (assuming the weekly operating costs were indeed around the rumored 1.2 million). There is no way with the numbers they've been posting the last few months that it is within a year of recouping (unless they've been using Garth Drabinsky style accountants).

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#7Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 4:54pm

I don't think we got the absolute pricetag of the show either. It went way overbudget and with the delays and cancelled weeks during previews for retooling the budget skyrocketed.
It was stated tht they would have to sell out completely for a good 5-6 years before even coming close to breaking even.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#8Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 4:56pm

SPIDER-MAN will still be trying to recoup long after many of us have turned to dust.

bwayphreak234
#9Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 4:57pm

If the show had cost even only as much as Shrek (which was around 35 million), it MIGHT have a chance at recouping within a year, but it was at least double that

And Shrek looked a million times better than Spider-Man in terms if physical production...

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#10Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 5:29pm

To be clear, I didn't suggest that it would recoup in a year, but a year from now. It has been running (including previews) for 134 weeks and taken in $182.7M. Estimates for cost were $60-70M.

If they were able to get the nut down to under $1M. They could have taken in >$40M. I know merch doesn't count toward hit/flop. But, for the producers bottomline if they have made $15M in profit there. One more year of similar ticket sales could bring in another $15M in profit would make the producers whole and 2 yrs might make it a hit almost 2 yrs earlier than the 6 yrs many were predicting...

I am trying to understand. There are bad bets, but if the weekly nut were what the pessimists were saying they would not throwing more money in. Not to mention what does the nut consist of? Does one or more of the producers have a hand in the advertising, so actually making money back on an expense? Part ownership in the theater making money on the rent expense? Just let me say I am skeptical of numbers, the sports world accounting is rigged in the owners favor and I think the accounting is slanted more in the producers favor than would appear at first glance... Updated On: 6/24/13 at 05:29 PM

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#11Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 6:26pm

Judging by the title of this thread (NUT)- I was expecting a whole different kind of conversation

Darreyl with an L!

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#12Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 6:32pm

You are crazy over simplifying Spider-Man's situation. It's only been almost 3 years and word FROM THE PRODUCERS that it'd take them at least 5 years of sold out performances to break even. That's not happening.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#13Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 6:33pm

Until we know exactly how much the weekly nut is and the capital it is difficult to argue. I have heard start up numbers running from 60-80 million, and a weekly running cost between under one million to 1.2 million also makes all the difference.

In any case, it seems to be a moot point considering the recent sales. Spider man will not likely make a profit in the next year, or even be open in a year.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#14Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 7:25pm

The suggestion that the nut is at 1 mil is a relatively recent one...so you would need to use the more commonly accepted nut of 1.2 million for most of the time you are talking about.

That would mean somewhere around 25 million might going towards the investment. Only approx 1/3 of their investment in 2.5 years. So even if their nut has dropped...so have their sales...they are still looking at between 7 and 8 years. (All just really configured in rough numbers.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#15Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 7:35pm

They are going to have to start some things to bring in more patrons. Would it finally be time to bring in well known names to sell tickets?

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#16Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 7:46pm

It's already making over a million dollars a week, but that's not good enough. Bringing in a name isn't going to do **** for grosses.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#17Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 7:56pm

I don't think this is the kind of show that would benefit by a name. I am surprized actually that it has been running as long as it has. I am sure it will run just long enough for them to build a US production of King Kong. Talk about a tourist draw!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

bwayphreak234
#18Weekly Nut for Spiderman?
Posted: 6/24/13 at 8:46pm

This thread is a lot of math. If it's not making its nut, and King Kong really is in fact eyeing the theatre, I could see this being gone at Christmas if not sooner. If they can't pull some huge numbers over the summer, I think they will definitely close up shop.

Updated On: 6/24/13 at 08:46 PM