pixeltracker

Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR

Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR

actorgaedu Profile Photo
actorgaedu
#1Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 10:22am

Kiss of the Spider Woman is my favorite Broadway musical and I had the privilege to see both the original and replacement Broadway casts. I saw the show 8 times over its run. Interested to know fan preferences of the two recordings done of this amazing show. I love the original, but I just LOVE the Vanessa Williams recording. Howard McGillin and Brian Stokes Mitchell are also quite amazing on the recording. It's early, but I certainly would LOVE a revival of this show. #missitsomuch.

Theater anywhere, anytime and with anyone. It's my passion.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#2Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 10:33am

I agree on everything you say. I prefer the Vanessa Williams recording. It needs to be revived ASAP, I'll be happy if Vanessa reprises the role on Broadway and finally wins her Tony award or if Catherine Zeta Jones plays the Spider Woman/Aurora.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#2Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 10:57am

I like both the Chita and Vanessa recordings.

Strange thing though: the Vanessa recording will not import into my itunes. It's the only cd I've ever encountered this with.

So I always end up listening to Chita.

....but the world goes 'round

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#3Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 11:05am

I had the same problem with my Vanessa version. I even bought a second one in case something was wrong with my first. Finally I found a friend with a burned copy, and that works.

The show is going on 20 years old, and it's definitely time for a revival. If Streetcar can do four revivals in that amount of time, and Cabaret do a revival of a revival, there's room for this.

It would be exciting to see who they'd cast, though imma smack the first person that says Sara Ramirez - let's be original for once, people!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

actorgaedu Profile Photo
actorgaedu
#4Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 11:19am

I like the idea of CZJ or Bebe again as she played the role in London.

Theater anywhere, anytime and with anyone. It's my passion.

LALALand Profile Photo
LALALand
#5Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 11:30am

I agree with those that love the Vanessa Williams recording (and the fact that I cannot upload to Itunes). I really like both, but I saw Vanessa Williams and she was brilliant. I would love to see this show revived.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#6Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 11:34am

I'd love to see Bebe, but from what I hear she wasn't that well-received/reviewed. That made me sad.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

AEA AGMA SM
#7Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 11:59am

I was able to rip the Vanessa Williams recording into iTunes, except for the first track. That track was always weird, even in pre-iTunes days. In most computers and CD players it would always skip the first track when I went to listen to it and go right to the second. I could rewind into the first track (i.e. holding down the reverse button so you heard it going through the track backwards), but I could never get it to just play. I always wondered if my CD was bad, so it's kind of comforting to know that other people have had weird issues with it as well.

Anyway, I like both recordings for different reasons. The original had some performances that were just astounding, but the Vanessa Williams one did included both more music and dialogue, so it definitely earns some points in its favor for that.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#8Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 12:34pm

I saw this amazing show a few times throughout its run. The Chita recording is wonderful as a representation of the insane magic that happened in that theater with her. I loved Vanessa Williams in it and I thought she was a formidable replacement. And I much prefer the vocals of Brian S Mitchell and Howard Magillin to the original men. But both deserve to be in my collection. Maria Conchita Alonso however..... oy.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#9Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 12:46pm

I saw the LA production and loved it.

Yes, it is time for a revival!!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#10Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 1:24pm

I have both recordings and I always preferred the Vanessa Williams version. I would love a revival of this show...and I have to say I would love to see Vanessa Williams reprise the role since I didn't get to see her do it the first time.

bryan2
#11Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 1:29pm

Having seen Chita in Kiss 5x I just love the orig recording. The Vanessa recording is great but I find the songs seem slowed down for her...I also saw Maria Conchita Alonzo and she was absolutely incredible..She was sexy and sang Kiss of the Spiderwoman better than any of the others... she held the last note for so long it was incredible..she also was singing in English and Spanish and it gave it a great flavor...don't be hating if you didn't see it...it was great ,....but CHITA rules and always will

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#12Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 2:17pm

I didi see it with Maria . She was terrible and her singing was screechy. Her performance was affected. It reminded me of bad drag. She also couldn't dance it to save her life.

Updated On: 8/8/13 at 02:17 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#13Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 2:23pm

The AP review from when MCA took over.

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1995/Maria-Conchita-Alonso-Stars-in-Kiss-of-the-Spider-Woman-/id-017a99fdc896446e50c513dc4bd3d6c8

Updated On: 8/8/13 at 02:23 PM

bryan2
#14Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 2:38pm

well we have to agree to dissagree on that.. I enjoyed her....but to me it is always CHITA as I said...

bryan2
#15Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 2:40pm

where did you find that review so quick!~!!! Impressed LOL

Tsao5
#16Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/8/13 at 3:10pm

I think the Vanessa recording has more music on it as I recall.

Brent Carver is great as is Anthony Crivello. Better than the guys on the Vanessa one.

I would suggest the Chita one if you had to pick one because of the 3 leads.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#17Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/9/13 at 10:42am

Chita !!!!!

Poster Emeritus

nasty_khakis
#18Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/9/13 at 11:28am

Didn't Audra (of all people) just do a workshop/reading/something? I heard it happened and Kander really really wants to rework the part for her.

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#19Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/9/13 at 12:23pm

Isn't the Vanessa version a 1/2 a step higher?

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

Wildcard
#20Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/9/13 at 12:35pm

I like listening to the Vanessa recording because of its completeness but there is something about Chita's voice in the original recording that sounds so right to the character… sweet with a hidden venom behind her voice. I'm glad I was able to catch the show with Chita too.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#21Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/9/13 at 1:14pm

Would love to hear the songs cut from the Purchase version

Poster Emeritus

kieranbec Profile Photo
kieranbec
#22Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/9/13 at 2:44pm

Audra would be an interesting choice, but I love the grit that Chita's voice brought to the role.

However, my first choice... Updated On: 8/9/13 at 02:44 PM

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#23Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/9/13 at 6:13pm

Strictly speaking, Chita's recording is the Original Cast Recording not OBCR since the show started in London.

I saw it in all its glory at least 4 times. I also saw Bebe, but at the time she was unknown in the UK. She was fine, but lacked Chita's star power. We were kind of mystified why she got the gig- of course, it turned out Shirley Bassey had turned down the role.

A revival would be very welcome, starring Toni Colette or Heather Headley!

AEA AGMA SM
#24Kiss of the Spider Woman - OBCR or 1994 BCR
Posted: 8/9/13 at 6:24pm

I don't know how I would feel about Toni Colette in the role. I think she could sing and act it quite wonderfully, but I think she would have to work hard to bring the glamour and old Hollywood feel that is inherent to the character for many of the other "characters" she has to play as Molina tells the various stories.

I also don't know if I would be sold on Heather Headley. She would sing it wonderfully and look gorgeous, but I've found her acting to be uninspired in what I've seen her in (which, admittedly, was a long time ago in Aida). I've found her to range from disconnected to affected when she is not singing. I think I'd be happiest with Headley doing something that is through-sung, as she really seems to come alive onstage when she is singing.

If they wait a couple more years to revive it maybe Sara Ramirez will finally be ready to return to the stage (i.e. after Grey's Anatomy finally ends, or she at least decides to move on).