pixeltracker

Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?

Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?

JPSays
#1Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 12:28am

I just saw Pippin and loved every second. I read this board often and notice that many of the posters here love the show and the cast but always rip on MJT. I thought he was amazing and made the show... is he really that bad? why?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 12:34am

I didn't think he was BAD, but he certainly was not amazing. I found his performance to be a tad boring. His voice also sounded tired when I saw him. I still enjoyed his performance, and he had an amazing body Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Visceral_Fella
#2Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 12:34am

I saw the show when it first opened, and I didn't connect with him. I saw the show again a few weeks ago, and I liked him so much more that time. Pippin is a very odd and complex character so it will never shock me if someone doesn't like an actor's portrayal of him.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#3Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 12:39am

I liked him in the show. Quite a bit, actually. But I could understand why he just didn't cut it for others.

JPSays
#4Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 12:42am

I was thinking it was the complexity of the character as well.

I wonder if anyone could play that part and be hailed as the 'must see' character of the show. It's additionally hard when there are show stopping parts written directly into the book. i don't know.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#5Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 12:45am

I don't get the point of this thread. You liked him. Many others disagree. People disagreeing with you doesn't invalidate your thoughts. I personally found his acting choices to be obvious and uninteresting and I didn't think his voice was everything I wanted out of someone singing that part, especially in "Corner of the Sky". It doesn't mean he doesn't get respect. I respect him as an artist, but I respectfully didn't enjoy his performance in this. Nobody's b*tchslapping him at the stage door, are they?

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#6Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 12:47am

Michael Rupert was a really solid center to the show when he replaced John Rubinstein in the original Broadway production. Very funny and charming and, of course, that knockout voice.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#7Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 12:55am

I like his new blonde hair. Or rather his old blonde hair since it's his natural color, but either way I think he looks great. Not sure why he kept it black after Spider-Man.

JPSays
#8Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 12:59am

well that's rather bitchy Kelly. I thought discussion boards were to discuss different topics. I simply noticed a trend on this board and wondered why so many seemed to not care for his performance.

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#9Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 1:04am

Eh, I prefer his black hair. I do like his EP though, beautiful!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#10Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 1:40am

When Michael Arden played it, he WAS the center and Star of the show.
Acting plus that glorious voice.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#11Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 1:43am

Kelly, I don't think there's anything wrong with this particular discussion topic. It is just that. Of a very well-received and nearly universally-acclaimed production, Michael James Thomas is certainly the most controversial casting choice and a point of great contention.

I personally thought he isn't perfect in the role. His "Corner in the Sky," was filled with so many riffs and technical attempts at leaving an impression that it ultimately fell flat and didn't connect at all on an emotional level. I always thought Pippin was supposed to feel ignorant and vulnerable. MJT comes across as ignorant but also weirdly devious and culpable, almost as if he knows what's happening the whole time. Still, I think MJT's range and singing voice are commendable and he's hardly bad. In a production I am absolutely enamored with, he's merely the weakest link.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#12Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 1:53am

I thought Matthew james Thomas was fine. He was likable, sung well and nice to look at. He had a quixotic quality that was perfect for the role.

It's the role that's dull. . It's a boring everyman role. Matthew Thomas was as good as (if not better) than any Pippin I've seen... William Katt and Michael Rupert.
Heck even Greg Brady played the role.

The role is a teenager going into adulthood searching for the meaning of life. I think Michael Thomas plays that role fine.

It's the role.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#13Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 2:09am

Not getting respect and disliking an actor are NOT synonymous. To an extent Kelly is correct: people are NOT disrespecting him. People that dislike are often more verbose about that feeling than those that like.

I loved Pippin, and I loved his perform. Different strokes.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#14Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 2:19am

I agree with goldenboy that it's partly the role. Not to mention having to compete with performances from Patina, Andrea and Orion Griffiths' thighs -- it's easy to forget about Pippin.
Updated On: 8/18/13 at 02:19 AM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#15Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 8:38pm

Having seen him four times in the role, I have to say that I've found his performance to be wildly inconsistent. When he's on, he's really on, and when he's not, he's really not. (I'd say the same about Mann's performance, as well)

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 8/18/13 at 08:38 PM

broadwaybabe1234 Profile Photo
broadwaybabe1234
#16Why Doesn't Matthew James Thomas Get Respect?
Posted: 8/18/13 at 9:40pm

The OP is just trying to understand why he isn't more of a celebrated for his performance. People were very cool towards him during Tony time, especially the critics. There is no reason to derail this thread just because YOU think its pointless.

I feel the same as the OP. i very much liked pippin and MJT's performance. i think it is hard to stand out in such a cast of incredible performances and he gets lost in the mix. By the end of the night you forget about MJT and go home gushing about the circus moves or patina miller's biceps.

[believe]