pixeltracker

Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances

Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
frazer
theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#3Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances
Posted: 8/30/13 at 11:27am

I like that they are protecting the franchise early on to ensure quality replacements during planned vacations.

Sieber - great casting.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#4Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances
Posted: 8/30/13 at 11:35am

Given the risk of injury amongst the ensemble, it makes total sense that it would be easier to bring in temporary replacements for most of the principal's vacations rather than risk an understudy and swing both having to be on for an extended period of time.

Sieber is terrific casting.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

mpd4165
dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#6Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances
Posted: 8/30/13 at 11:39am

somethingwicked-I think that's the logic (the understudies are valuable entities to the show-many of them cover several tracks). I wonder at what point it's not fiscally sensible to bring in such replacements, however. It costs some serious bucks to bring these people in (rehearsal time, new costumes, paying them, etc.). And I've heard really great things about some of the understudies.

Kbradstein
#7Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances
Posted: 8/30/13 at 11:47am

i think this was an amazing move by the creative team. I cant wait to see what Sieber will do with the role!

wonkit
somethingwicked
#9Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances
Posted: 8/30/13 at 11:52am

dreaming, I think the "bringing outside people in" thing is specific to the older roles like Charles and Berthe where the understudies in the ensemble aren't really age appropriate. The Weisslers are very particular about that.

I once saw Marcia Lewis tell a story about how, in order for Fran and Barry to let her out of GREASE to do CHICAGO at Encores!, she had to find her own temporary replacement because they weren't willing to let her significantly younger understudy go on for an extended period of time, since she was so inappropriate for the role. She ended up reaching out to a friend who had played Miss Lynch on the road and she came in for the week or two Lewis was out.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Updated On: 8/30/13 at 11:52 AM

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#10Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances
Posted: 8/30/13 at 11:55am

So poor Michael Arden's still got a shot?

(I'm sorry. That was cruel of me. But his tweet following the opening about thinking he still had a chance to play the part on Broadway one day rubbed me the wrong way.)

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#11Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances
Posted: 8/30/13 at 11:59am

somethingwicked-Thanks for the clarification. I was curious because some of the understudies are indeed age appropriate (i.e., the Leading Player understudies are fine from what I can see, the Fastrada ones are likely okay and the two understudies for Pippin). I wonder that they didn't try to get a few veteran standbys for those roles (is that really expensive?).

somethingwicked
#12Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances
Posted: 8/30/13 at 12:00pm

dreaming, you hit the nail on the head- having older, more appropriate standbys in the show on a regular basis would indeed be significantly more expensive than having actors come in just to cover the vacations. The Weisslers are all about cutting costs.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#13Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances
Posted: 8/30/13 at 12:02pm

Did anyone see Sabrina Harper when she went on for Martin a month ago? Was her age really awkward and noticeable?

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#14Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances
Posted: 8/30/13 at 12:15pm

Two things this makes me wonder:
a) Will Charlotte d'Amboise be on vacation at the same time? And if so, will her understudy go on?

b) Are they grooming people for long term replacements when original stars leave? I wonder if next year Sieber and Felshuh will be with the show full-time or if they really will just do two weeks.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#15Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances
Posted: 8/30/13 at 12:50pm

I think you are right that Sieber's stint is probably leading to a full-time replacement status, as with Feldshuh. Someone in another thread recently posted that Mann has only extended his contract until January.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#16Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances
Posted: 8/30/13 at 12:57pm

Feldshuh is still scheduled to do a play this fall and no announcement regarding her departing has been made.
Updated On: 8/30/13 at 12:57 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#17Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances
Posted: 8/30/13 at 1:41pm

I love this. One thing I will say.. these producers are loyal and really good to their actors. They have kept Sieber employed thru the years thru Chicago, La Cage, and now this. And very deservedly so. Same with Charlotte and others.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#18Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances
Posted: 8/31/13 at 1:17am

I hope Carlotte will stay! I want to get my Carrie Window Card signed!

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#19Christopher Sieber to Step in for Terrence Mann as 'Charles' in PIPPIN For 16 Performances
Posted: 9/1/13 at 10:58pm

I was there today. It was my first time seeing it but I thought he did a great job! He had great chemistry with everyone. My one negative though...he wasn't wearing a wig. They seemed to have just sprayed his hair gray; it looked awkward.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08