Shows eyeing broadway?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#25Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/11/13 at 11:17pm

I'd be surprised if We Will Rock You made it to Broadway. Because the show is terrible.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

PlayItAgain
#26Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/11/13 at 11:23pm

i feel like We Will Rock You would be great for the palace.

bryan
#27Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/11/13 at 11:35pm

i hope robin and the 7 hoods come to nyc .

trpguyy
#28Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/12/13 at 12:01am

It's my understanding that The Bodyguard will be touring in the fall, which would mean "no" to a Broadway run.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#29Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/12/13 at 12:29am

Top Hat?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Jonwo
#30Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/12/13 at 12:35am

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time I'm surprised hasn't announced the transfer to Broadway yet given how successful its been in London but I imagine it'll come within the next year or so.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I think 2015/2016 since Sam Mendes is super busy with King Lear, Cabaret and Bond just in 2014.

Joviedamian
#31Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/12/13 at 1:53am

We now have to remember, Robert De Niro is not a PRODUCER of WE WILL ROCK YOU..so he may be pushing it to come to NYC!

AnythingGoes23
#32Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/12/13 at 3:25am

Bodyguard is certainly not dieting a death in London, the show has enjoyed its best houses since Beverely Knight joined and regularly selling out to capacity. They are doing some discounts midweek but the show is one of the strongest performing currently in London. Originally they thought with Knight joining it should see them through to March but the show is now looking to extend to end of August 2014.

It has Broadway still firmly in sight, it rests of Heather Headleys schedule and she is being quite reluctant to commit so I hear, but with London doing so well with Knight, they may opt to bring her to Broadway.

Noel&Cole
#33Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/12/13 at 11:17am

I know EVER AFTER is still planning on coming in. (Personally, I am very excited about it, the writers did some songs from it in their Birdland show that were really beautiful!)

Anyone I know who has seen a presentation was very excited about it, I heard they are just waiting for a theatre (like so many other things) .

I sometimes find it amazing what gets a theatre and what does not.

Pauly3
#34Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/13/13 at 6:03pm

@allegiancebway (https://twitter.com/allegiancebway) directly responds to this thread:

"Oh, we're coming... and we're excited about what we have to share. Our mini album is coming soon, too!"

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#35Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/13/13 at 6:33pm

I know that Rebecca just got cleared to start raising funding, but it seems to be cursed so I wouldn't expect for a long time. Sad, I was looking foreword to it.

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#36Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/13/13 at 8:00pm

I wouldn't count out the star power of Lea Salonga. She has sold out entire arenas in China, Phillipines, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and Thailand. She's huge internationally and Asian tourists might flock just to see her.

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#37Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/14/13 at 10:01am

Has anyone heard anything lately about My Fair Lady?

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#38Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/14/13 at 10:50am

I think this Spring may end up a little like last spring, where producers of new musicals are scared of opening this Spring when Matilda's transfer caused a lot of producers to think twice about opening in the same season, when the show was supposed to be and was a critical and audience hit despite that coming back to bite them at the Tony's. This Spring there three hotly anticipated shows already open one of which is expected to become an instant audience favorite, Aladdin, another is expected to be a critical darling, If/Then, with Bullets over Broadway being a wild card. Also realize that in the spring Rocky and Bridges of Madison County also opening. Then take into account that in the fall 8 new musicals opened, Let it Be, First Date, Soul Doctor, Big Fish, A Night with Janis Joplin, After Midnight, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, and Beautiful. Most producers know they need some Tony love to even stand a chance of recouping with 13 new musical productions this season, unless a producer is sure his show will be a critical darling, the odds of getting Tony nominations are slim.
I would expect to see another musical revival or 2 announced for the Spring, and more play revivals as well. I'd expect the Palace and the Simon to both stay dark for the rest of the season, and Cinderella to be allowed to keep the Broadway just to the lights on as Sister Act was before Cinderella.

Dessie
#39Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/14/13 at 10:55am

Bullets more likely to be critical darling and If/Then the wildcard

sparepart973
#40Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/14/13 at 12:11pm

I have to agree that Bodyguard is doing rather well. It has always done above-average during Heather's stint, and mind you she is no house hold name in London. The theatre has been really busy now that Beverly Knight is in it and is showing very healthy sales.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#41Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/14/13 at 12:55pm

Okay. So we know these theaters are open for Spring:
Booth
Golden
Longacre
Marquis
Palace
Simon

and there are rumors of the Broadway and the Foxwoods.

I have to imagine several of these are already locked in and we'll have to wait to see what announces, but am I right in thinking the most likely shows coming in are All the Way and The Realistic Joneses? Everything else seems especially up in the air: a Fun Home transfer, Honeymoon in Vegas, Allegiance... So it seems there's room for some surprises.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#42Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/14/13 at 1:07pm

The Cort is also open once No Man's Land/Waiting For Godot closes.

Booth
Cort
Golden
Longacre
Marquis (I think this is undergoing renovations and may be closed)
Palace
Simon

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#43Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/14/13 at 1:13pm

I'm very excited for Allegiance. Thanks for sharing that tweet Pauly.

And I'm non-Asian.

Also, Flower Drum Song was a hit.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 11/14/13 at 01:13 PM

broadfan327
#44Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/14/13 at 1:16pm

Heather Hedley said at the Il Divo concert that "The Bodyguard" was looking to come to Broadway soon, implying that she would be a part of it.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#45Shows eyeing broadway?
Posted: 11/14/13 at 1:23pm

Not to go off topic, but there was another Asian show that had a great score called Heading East. I don't know whatever happened to that show.

....but the world goes 'round