Newsies or Matilda

luvmylab
#1Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/15/13 at 7:54pm

Hey everyone!
I am going to NY in January and trying to find a broadway show to see while I am there.
I have already seen Wicked, Lion King, Legally Blonde, Hairspray, and The Chorus Line and loved them all with Wicked and Legally Blonde being my favorite. I am debating between Newsies and Matilda and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations between the 2?
Also, any recommendations on where to get the best tickets for the best price?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/15/13 at 8:51pm

Sounds like you might like perky...so I'd say Newsies.

You should use telecharge or ticket master (whoever handles the show you choose). Any other source will have you paying "fees" up the waazoo.

Try BroadwayBox.com for a discount code for Newsies.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

charliebrown5
#2Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/15/13 at 8:53pm

This might be a good place to ask whether I should buy tickets for Cinderella, Matilda and Newsies in advance for the period leading up to Christmas (Dec. 21-24) or if they will be available on TKTS (particularly Cinderella).

Any other good shows out there for an 8 and 11 year old?

KathyNYC2
#3Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/16/13 at 9:15am

I liked them both for different reasons but I probably would go for Newsies based on your previous likes. I probably had a more enthusiastic feeling about Newsies as a whole..but either choice would be good.

But ticket availability could color your decision. Personally I think you could sit pretty much anywhere and enjoy Newsies..it's a smallish theater. Matilda - I know some disagree, but I would not take balcony seats unless they are way up front. It's just too tall/big a theater and you miss too much detail.

I don't know anything about the Christmas week tickets..sorry.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#4Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/16/13 at 9:20am

Newsies is superior to Matilda in every possible way

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#5Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/16/13 at 9:58am

The weeks before and after Christmas are usually jam-packed with tourists. If it were me, I would buy tickets in advance for the shows I really want to see. Then I would visit TKTS booth for any openings in my schedule.

N2N Nate. Profile Photo
N2N Nate.
#6Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/16/13 at 10:00am

Newsies.

So Lauren Bacall me, anything goes! *wink*

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#7Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/16/13 at 10:04am

Don't attempt the Newsies lotto, the seats suck and around holiday season it'll be packed.
In my humble opinion I liked Matilda better, but judging by the shows you said you loved you'd probably like Newsies better.

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek

taylor_kras
#8Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/16/13 at 2:42pm

Newsies is touring soon and will translate to tour better than Matilda will. I think a lot of the magic of Matilda will get lost with the set cutbacks.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#9Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/16/13 at 2:48pm

Matilda, Matilda, Matilda. No question.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#10Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/16/13 at 3:49pm

The best thing about NEWSIES (besides the songs KING OF NEW YORK and SEIZE THE DAY) is the choreography.

The best thing about MATILDA is... well... MATILDA... as whole.

So, IMHO, MATILDA Newsies or Matilda

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Wickedmonkey332 Profile Photo
Wickedmonkey332
#11Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/16/13 at 9:52pm

Absolutely without a doubt MATILDA!!!

Lousy
#12Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/16/13 at 11:23pm

Newsies has far better choreography and Matilda has the superior score. The book of both are quite basic, so just pick by whether you're more of a score of choreo kind of person.

No one gives a damn about the list of shows you've seen.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#13Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/16/13 at 11:27pm

The book of Matilda CANNOT be compared to Newsies. It is far superior in terms of storytelling, etc.
Matilda's choreography is really impressive as well, especially with all the kids on the stage.
Go for MATILDA, imo :)

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#14Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/16/13 at 11:33pm

Based on your previous show taste, Newsies. It'll hit the spot for you, I'm sure.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#15Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/17/13 at 7:44am

Yeah, NEWSIES is going on tour. Go for MATILDA :)

Comden Green Profile Photo
Comden Green
#16Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/17/13 at 6:35pm

I agree Based on your list of likes newsies is likely to be more satisfying. If you are still considering Matilda you must get the music and become familiar with it. The lyrics are brilliant but difficult to follow as you watch.

TioSalamanca
#17Newsies or Matilda
Posted: 11/17/13 at 7:38pm

Matilda

Videos