Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#1Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 5:11pm

Does anyone else see this happening?

Visceral_Fella
#2Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 5:16pm

If I remember correctly, she's auditioned a few times, and has expressed her interest, but the feelings aren't mutual.

gavyj Profile Photo
gavyj
#2Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 7:43pm

I love her. She could probably defy gravity simply on the power of her belt...but I don't know if she still reads young enough for Act I Elphie .

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#3Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 7:53pm

I think she does. Julia Murney looked a little older than her when she was with the show but read close to the age in Act 1 to make it believable. The green makeup does seem to hide age pretty well, and than in Act 2, they can make her look older with just simple beauty makeup.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

suttonfoster Profile Photo
suttonfoster
#4Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 8:00pm

emma hunton just got elphaba for one of the tours

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#5Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 8:12pm

Emma Hunton will sound incredible singing the score! Can't wait for an official announcement...I would guess 2nd national to replace Jennifer Dinoia!

fingerlakessinger
#6Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 9:03pm

I believe she is replacing Alison. At least thats what I've heard.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#7Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 9:14pm

If Emma replaces Alison and if Curt stays as Fyiero..Emma and Curt would get to do WICKED together like they were together in NEXT TO NORMAL

RW3
#8Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 9:35pm

I get Emma Hatton and Emma Hunton confused too often

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#9Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 9:39pm

I can't keep up with Wicked's casts anymore.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

FindingNamo
#10Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 10:33pm

Baby Spice?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

TommyFlanagan4
#11Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 10:45pm

Maybe Allison is replacing Lindsay on Broadway because of her ankle or maybe they won't renew her contract.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#12Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 1:11pm

So I guess Diner is dead then.

RW3
#13Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 3:54pm

RippedMan, no not necessarily. Diner actually just ended a 2 week long workshop.

Harpz2006
#14Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/14 at 12:25am

Just came across this Q & A with Stephen Schwartz-- now we know why she's never been Elphaba! Wonder what the other show was...

Question:
So, I'm a actress/singer/dancer. I'm also 6'1". Do you think that would be a big hindrance to hiring possibilities? I mean, I realize that there are certain roles that I will probably never even be considered for because of it. But do you feel that there's a market for that kind of thing? Thanks for all of your wonderful shows. Wicked is amazing, as is the remarkable cast! Katie
Answer from Stephen Schwartz:
Dear Katie: Yes, I know, height can sometimes make things difficult for an actress. I am a fan of another tall young singer and actress in New York named Kate Shindle, and I specifically know of two shows of mine for which she gave excellent auditions but ultimately was not cast in partly because of her height. But Kate does get quite a bit of good work because of her talent, and I'm sure if you persevere, you will too. I wish you the best, Stephen Schwartz

http://www.stephenschwartz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/schwartz-advice-for-performers1.pdf

Visceral_Fella
#15Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/14 at 1:40am

A tall Elphaba actually makes sense to me. Actually he probably isn't talking about Wicked or at least the role of Elphaba because I believe that Brandi Chavonne Massey is the same height as Kate Shindle (5'11"). A tall Elphaba shouldn't be an issue. A tall Glinda is for several reasons, mainly because they won't fit in the bubble. Maybe she was up for Nessa and the height was an issue? Maybe he's talking about two other shows entirely for height reasons and not getting Elphaba was for a different reason. He does have a nice amount of shows under his belt

Kind of odd that he name dropped her like that.

Updated On: 1/5/14 at 01:40 AM

fingerlakessinger
#16Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/14 at 1:43am

Isn't SJB also pretty tall?
If height is the reason she hasn't been cast in WICKED than I would be ticked off.

kieranbec Profile Photo
kieranbec
#17Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/14 at 2:25am

I would love to see Shindle as the Leading Player in Pippin. I wonder if that is the other show that Schwartz was referring to.

theCucumberSandwich
#18Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/14 at 8:50am

Perhaps the height issue is something to do with the technical requirements of the role? The lift maybe?
Just a thought.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#19Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/14 at 9:08am

I remember hearing that when Jennifer Laura Thompson replaced Kristin as Glinda that the bubble needed to be adjusted for height because Jennifer was much talller.

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#20Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/14 at 9:15am

Interesting. Since that letter was in 2010, the Pippin revival seems unlikely. I can't see how height would be an issue in Godspell (or Shindle fitting in with that very young cast), so Wicked has to be one of the shows Kate wasn't cast in because of her height.

Now, that could be something as simple as the Fiyero that was in the show or also being cast at the time didn't look right next to such a tall Elphaba. It could be the lift, as well, if the harness sat too high and they knew they couldn't make an adequate adjustment for safety.

I just did a quick search. Stephanie J. Block is 5'9". Kate Shindle is 5'11". That could be just enough to make a difference if it is a technical issue.

Now what would the other Schwartz show be that she didn't get cast in? That's an interesting question, for sure.

kurt.perry41
#21Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/14 at 11:46am

My personal bet would be on their inability to find a cast that can be built around her. You would need a Fiyero who was at least 6'4'" and the number of leading men/mangenues who are that tall and are broadway caliber is very small cause once you pass 6'2" you enter character actor territory.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#22Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/14 at 11:58am

Why does Fiyero have to be taller than Elphaba?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#23Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/14 at 1:40pm

I really have no idea if being 5'11" would be a technical challenge with the lift but doubt it. Victoria Matlock who I know is at least 5'9 or 5'10" played Elphaba on the tour. Kate certainly has the personality and the chops to pull this role off. She's a powerhouse performer.

I've known Kate for some time, in fact we worked together on the "Broadway Sings For Newtown" event in Conn. this past Sept. where she didn't hesitate when I made the suggestion to sing "Don't Rain on My Parade" and nailed it! She can sing almost anything and make it work. She has been out on the auditioning route. I am happy to have added her to my artist roster and hope to work with her again this year. I'd love to see her land Elphaba if it's meant to be.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

kurt.perry41
#24Kate Shindle as Elphaba?
Posted: 1/5/14 at 1:50pm

I think that they would, want to maintain the "look" of the show, I mean I could be wrong but I imagine that thus far all the Fiyeros have been taller than their respective Elphabas. I think that they would have to cast the other parts accordingly. I would certainly love to see her in the part, I think she would be wonderful and frankly I think she's really due back to broadway.