pixeltracker

Favorite illusions/subtle moments in shows?

Favorite illusions/subtle moments in shows?

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#1Favorite illusions/subtle moments in shows?
Posted: 12/28/13 at 3:53pm

I guess this is really a 2 part question. I was curious to know, what are some of your favourite stage illusions or little moments in shows that could be easily missed?

I loved the illusions in Ghost particularly Carl's death and the transition from Oda Mae to Sam during the reprise of Unchained Melody.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#2Favorite illusions/subtle moments in shows?
Posted: 12/28/13 at 11:39pm

I like the part in Matilda when Mr. Wormwood's hair turns green. I'm actually still very curious to know exactly how they do that.

Nickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
#2Favorite illusions/subtle moments in shows?
Posted: 12/29/13 at 6:19am

it's amazing what multiple wigs can do! Think as to why the towel is thrown to Michael and what might be wrapped up inside it. I love it too; one of Paul's more subtle tricks.

Paul made a violin and 'cello play themselves in The Witches of Eastwick, which was pretty neat.

Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#3Favorite illusions/subtle moments in shows?
Posted: 12/29/13 at 8:48am

When Fastdra in Pippin does three costume changes in a matter of seconds. "How things move so swiftly..."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4Favorite illusions/subtle moments in shows?
Posted: 12/29/13 at 8:50am

Say what you will about the overall production, Cinderella's act two transformation is magical.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#5Favorite illusions/subtle moments in shows?
Posted: 12/29/13 at 9:08am

^Yes, I agree! I forgot about that transformation.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#6Favorite illusions/subtle moments in shows?
Posted: 12/29/13 at 9:36am

When Charlemange is flipped when he dies in Pippin, when Fastrada changes costumes in one second, when the leading player has fire come out of her finger, when Charlemange comes back to life, when Mr. Wormwood in Matilda's hair turned green.

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#7Favorite illusions/subtle moments in shows?
Posted: 12/29/13 at 11:41pm

I just love the effect of the Beast turning into the prince in the broadway production of Beauty and the Beast. I know how they do it, but it's done so well that it is fun to watch anyways.

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

forgetmenotnyc Profile Photo
forgetmenotnyc
#8Favorite illusions/subtle moments in shows?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 4:01am

In Pippin, that one cross with the bar cart that is pushed by just a pair of legs is pretty cool looking!

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#9Favorite illusions/subtle moments in shows?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 11:02am

I liked how Celia Keenan-Bolger made her entrance in Glass Menagerie.

Brian07663NJ
#10Favorite illusions/subtle moments in shows?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 11:49am

Damn Yankees revival 1994...act 1 when old Joe goes to walk through the door in the center of the stage (walls of house are not there to hide what happens) and as he walks to open the door he comes through it as young Joe...the music soars...

gives me chills to this day when I listen to the soundtrack at that point.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#11Favorite illusions/subtle moments in shows?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 3:40pm

It wasn't an illusion and in no way subtle, but I'll always remember the back wall flying open to reveal the sky during Atlantic City in the Ragtime revival.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#12Favorite illusions/subtle moments in shows?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 3:48pm

The beginning of Sunday In the park with George when the drawing was projected on stage.